Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Elliotte Friedman with the bombshell:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think this might actually be alright. Be interested to see who takes his place. Dual job for Benning?
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hmmm, wonder why ?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:52 pm I think this might actually be alright. Be interested to see who takes his place. Dual job for Benning?
Initially I think a dual job, but I bet this is mike Gillis’s chance to get that president job back/s
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:52 pm I think this might actually be alright. Be interested to see who takes his place. Dual job for Benning?
Lol not likely. Elmer is likely on borrowed time too. This thing could have worked with a strong president with a good hockey mind and Elmer running the draft and the young prospects. Trevor is a wet fart
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mark Messier to be named new president...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Curious to know why. It never seemed like a great hire. Always such a cliché to bring the former fan favourite back to run things. A little bit sad in Vancouver’s case, because (despite a good run), it’s not like he led the Canucks to fantastic heights as a player. “Nice guy, tries hard” and all that...

Can’t see Benning taking that role, way too much public diplomacy involved. Maybe they go the Tampa Bay route and bring in someone else’s HHoF former player. Go out and get Chris Pronger to do what Shanahan did in TO.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm gonna guess that could open up some trades of some of the vets. :?:
Francesco Aquilini:

9/12. A rebuild is a long, slow, gradual process. Everybody needs to be united behind the same vision and pulling in the same direction.
And there goes Edler's bro in the executive level.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:08 pm I'm gonna guess that could open up some trades of some of the vets. :?:
Francesco Aquilini:

9/12. A rebuild is a long, slow, gradual process. Everybody needs to be united behind the same vision and pulling in the same direction.
And there goes Edler's bro in the executive level.
I was just thinking the same thing SKYO, edler is gonna get strong armed by Jim
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

@fr_aquilini
11m11 minutes ago
More
3/12. Jim Benning will now head up hockey operations and report directly to the ownership group.

So a lame duck GM, no president and ownership in charge like they were under Gillis.

The issue, ownership was reigning in the autonomy on Linden, they wanting more input. Linden was hired with the promise of full autonomy. Whatever direction Linden had in mind for the next 2-3 years, well, the owners didn’t like it. I don’t know specifics of where the difference in opinion was. But it was a power struggle that began last summer. Now that the twins are gone ownership wants more say in the rebuild process, which is their right.

One issue I do know that arose within the last month or so, Edler. Linden wanted to explore a 2-4 year extension. Benning wanted to explore him waiving his NTC or a one year extension.

But it’s all very friendly, Trevor basically not wanting to be neutered.

Benning has been somewhat promoted but I have heard, as is typical for Aquilini, that he already has someone in mind to jump right in. Have no idea who but working my sources.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm One issue I do know that arose within the last month or so, Edler. Linden wanted to explore a 2-4 year extension. Benning wanted to explore him waiving his NTC or a one year extension.
2-4 years for his buddy Edler?? :shock:

Buh-bye Trev...

I've said before a one year extension for Eddy makes sense...

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm Jim Benning will now head up hockey operations and report directly to the ownership group.

Benning has been promoted
I like it!! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elmer hasn’t been promoted. He’s a placeholder.

What a gong show. I originally thought Trevor was smart enough to pull it off. Fuck was I wrong!

I hope they get a guy in here with a set of balls and some clear fucking vision. A guy like Shanahan has done a tremendous job in Toronto.

Ray Ferraro? Geoff Courtnall? Somethings up. Trevor didn’t jump he got shoved
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:42 pm Ray Ferraro? Geoff Courtnall? Somethings up. Trevor didn’t jump he got shoved
Be interesting to see who comes in. I don’t think Trevor got shoved, so much as he saw which way the winds were blowing and bowed out before it could get ugly.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:42 pm Elmer hasn’t been promoted. He’s a placeholder.

What a gong show. I originally thought Trevor was smart enough to pull it off. Fuck was I wrong!

I hope they get a guy in here with a set of balls and some clear fucking vision. A guy like Shanahan has done a tremendous job in Toronto.

Ray Ferraro? Geoff Courtnall? Somethings up. Trevor didn’t jump he got shoved
Shanahan is a cog in corporate machine.
Linden had a meddling single owner

Could make quite a difference in perception don’t think?

I am curious though to find out if he jumped or got pushed. If the franchise is a shit show as you like to believe then the betting is he jumped.