Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:59 pm The Aquaman’s MO sure has been to have a replacement picked before he fires someone. That’s why I’m putting more stock in Trevor quitting and it caught owners by surprise. They tried to push him to sway in a direction he didn’t agree with so he walked.
I do believe Trev’s enough of a man of principle to do something like that. I believe the narrative of Aquabros approaching Trev about the job vice the other way around. I think he took the job with conviction and diligence but it wasn’t a matter of personal ambition for him. He has too many other things to keep him busy and happy.
That last sentence may have been part of the problem.
I had noticed a lack of ads.
Maybe a coincidence they started everywhere 2 days after he left.
They seem rushed though.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm Without Hughes we're basically the same team this year as last. An elite skating defenseman can make or break a team usually...and its going to be another "break" scenario unfortunately.
Yeah, its not like the Canucks are adding two former top 6 draft picks into their lineup this year or anything.... One of whom, by the way, was still a junior and happened to be the MVP of what it is either the best or second best league outside of North America (KHL better top end; Swedish league more balanced). Its not like the Canucks will likely get a full season of a kid who played a 3/4 of a season last year as a 20 year old channeling (up until his final month) Markus Naslund, and who is certainly the best pure scorer the Canucks have had since #19.

Point is that Boeser is not quite Laine or Bossy, but he's pretty damn close and get this, at his age, could still get better. And Pettersson? We don't know yet, but it isn't false optimism to believe that the Canucks have their hands on a kid who will very soon develop into an elite player.

It is weird that the sky-is-falling sentiment got loaded so much into this Linden thread. The people making the complaint doesn't even know if Linden was on "their" side in the rebuild philosophy. (And even if he were, was he effective at advocating for or executing on that position internally?) I think there are fair points on both sides of the argument in terms of whether the Canucks are being managed well or could have been managed better, but I don't think it is debatable that not only do the Canucks have the deepest prospect pipeline they've had in years, they have two young players who are easily their best prospects since the Sedins. That is *exciting.*
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:40 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm Without Hughes we're basically the same team this year as last. An elite skating defenseman can make or break a team usually...and its going to be another "break" scenario unfortunately.
Yeah, its not like the Canucks are adding two former top 6 draft picks into their lineup this year or anything.... One of whom, by the way, was still a junior and happened to be the MVP of what it is either the best or second best league outside of North America (KHL better top end; Swedish league more balanced).
True but theyre also subtracting 2 HHOFers and DID have that same Bossy/Naslund clone for 3/4 of the season.

My point isnt to debate about additions and subtractions up front but rather the missing dynamic of an elite skating defenseman. The ass end is the same

I'm not a sky is falling fan at all. I looove what we have going on its just that defense with no Hughes isnt anything at all to get excited about. More than likely the worst in the league without Hughes or Trynapkin
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I’ve seen elsewhere that Linden was pushed out as a result of Benning and Weisbrod siding with whatever position the owners had (not sure which side of the play-kids-get-picks/sign-vets-compete-for-playoffs they are really on anymore). I don’t put too much stock in that narrative, but if true I would keep an eye on Weisbrod if I were Benning. The guy is ambitious enough to throw Benning and anyone else under the bus if it means he keeps his seat or moves up. I still don’t get the warm fuzzies about that guy in the Canucks organization.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:51 am
Yeah, its not like the Canucks are adding two former top 6 draft picks into their lineup this year or anything.... One of whom, by the way, was still a junior and happened to be the MVP of what it is either the best or second best league outside of North America (KHL better top end; Swedish league more balanced).
True but theyre also subtracting 2 HHOFers and DID have that same Bossy/Naslund clone for 3/4 of the season.

My point isnt to debate about additions and subtractions up front but rather the missing dynamic of an elite skating defenseman. The ass end is the same

I'm not a sky is falling fan at all. I looove what we have going on its just that defense with no Hughes isnt anything at all to get excited about. More than likely the worst in the league without Hughes or Trynapkin
I think the end result in April will be the same: The Canucks will be a lottery team. The blue line and goaltending are the same, regardless of the additions and subtractions up front. I’m okay with that because realistically this team needs a handful more elite prospects in the system before their assent in the standings and their departure from lottery hell.

What I am looking forward to is whether any of the young defenders make any progress in the big league. Guys like Stetcher, Hutton and Pouliot. I’m looking forward to the young forwards making strides and replacing the Twins’ production. If they’re still a lottery team, but with the majority of the scoring coming from the under-25 crowd, and they’re a couple of breaks/mistakes away from 10 more wins, I’ll be happy and looking forward to 19/20.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I am with you on the D, UDL. That's been my biggest complaint during the rebuild; that the margin of error was zero (now there is a little buffer with Hughes (and a different more exciting upside)). As for the Sedins, I love them and would gladly tune in for another season because I enjoyed their shifts and Daniel in particular had gas and skill left in the tank. But they haven't been HHOF caliber players in a while and I am thinking that their marginal productive advantage over the next players who will get their PP time and favorable zone starts might not be as large as we fear.
Hono_rary Canadian
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Lancer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:54 am I’ve seen elsewhere that Linden was pushed out as a result of Benning and Weisbrod siding with whatever position the owners had (not sure which side of the play-kids-get-picks/sign-vets-compete-for-playoffs they are really on anymore). I don’t put too much stock in that narrative, but if true I would keep an eye on Weisbrod if I were Benning. The guy is ambitious enough to throw Benning and anyone else under the bus if it means he keeps his seat or moves up. I still don’t get the warm fuzzies about that guy in the Canucks organization.
Weisbrod and Jim are very close, I could see Weisbrod taking the reins at some point but it won’t be from backstabbing Jim. I get the feeling Jim will take a step back after his contract. I also think it’s more ownership siding with Benning’s plan than Benning siding with ownership plan.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lancer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 am
What I am looking forward to is whether any of the young defenders make any progress in the big league. Guys like Stetcher, Hutton and Pouliot.
^This. If any of these underachievers turn a corner it would make somewhat of a difference. 2+ of them blossoming would make the canucks a darkhorse...provided EP and Dahlen translate their euro success to the NHL
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 am

I think the end result in April will be the same: The Canucks will be a lottery team. The blue line and goaltending are the same, regardless of the additions and subtractions up front. I’m okay with that because realistically this team needs a handful more elite prospects in the system before their assent in the standings and their departure from lottery hell.

What I am looking forward to is whether any of the young defenders make any progress in the big league. Guys like Stetcher, Hutton and Pouliot. I’m looking forward to the young forwards making strides and replacing the Twins’ production. If they’re still a lottery team, but with the majority of the scoring coming from the under-25 crowd, and they’re a couple of breaks/mistakes away from 10 more wins, I’ll be happy and looking forward to 19/20.
Excuse the interruption but how do you know the goal tending will be the same.
Still have a camp.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 am ^This. If any of these underachievers turn a corner it would make somewhat of a difference. 2+ of them blossoming would make the canucks a darkhorse...provided EP and Dahlen translate their euro success to the NHL
I am 100% with Micky - the void left by the Sedins will be filled by someone, and I can't wait to find out.

And UDL, you bringing up Dahlen just reminds me of how much mystery there is to the upcoming season. Dahlen is arguably the team's #2/3 prospect, and we don't even know if he makes the team!

I think there's 3 forwards who could crack 60 points - Boeser, Baertschi and Bo. But among the prospects, I'd say there's a handful that have a reasonable chance of cracking 40 - Goldy, EP, Dahlen, Leipsic, Gaudette.

It's a lot more exciting than projecting how far the Sedins decline in the next year!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 am ^This. If any of these underachievers turn a corner it would make somewhat of a difference. 2+ of them blossoming would make the canucks a darkhorse...provided EP and Dahlen translate their euro success to the NHL
I am 100% with Micky - the void left by the Sedins will be filled by someone, and I can't wait to find out.

And UDL, you bringing up Dahlen just reminds me of how much mystery there is to the upcoming season. Dahlen is arguably the team's #2/3 prospect, and we don't even know if he makes the team!

I think there's 3 forwards who could crack 60 points - Boeser, Baertschi and Bo. But among the prospects, I'd say there's a handful that have a reasonable chance of cracking 40 - Goldy, EP, Dahlen, Leipsic, Gaudette.

It's a lot more exciting than projecting how far the Sedins decline in the next year!
Baertschi will have to have a MASSIVE upswing to his game. IMO, he is a 40-45 point guy. The weak link on our first line. If Goldobin comes to camp with consistency in his work ethic, he can challenge for that first line winger spot - he has the skill set (and in fantasy land, so could Virtanen).. In reality, the team keeps both Goldobin and Baertschi for 20-30 games to see who wants/wins the spot, and one of them is traded before xmas. For the first time (in perhaps team history) we have depth for top 6 prospects. They all need a shot to see who is going to take the big step. Worst thing I can see this team doing is placing too high a value on young guys, and hanging on to them for too long. I am not saying to give up on them early, but Coach and Mgmt needs to get them evaluated quickly, then make some hard decisions.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm Without Hughes we're basically the same team this year as last.
It is true what they say about yours truly being slightly optimistic BUT

It's possible that Juolevi comes in and makes an impact.

(one of Hutton/MDZ would be traded IMO.. hopefully Hutton)

The Guds has played a grand total of just 82 games in the last 2 seasons.

Tanev has played a grand total of just 95 games in the last 2 seasons.

If these two can finally remain healthy, that would improve the dee situation overall.

Now I know most don't think as highly of Gudbranson as I do

... but I've always said he's the kind of dman who needs the right partner.

And he found that in Edler last season, yeah he looked good with Eddy.

Stecher got better towards the end of the season as well.

So I'm suggesting the defence could be better this season than last.

Then add Hughes to that near the end of the season.

And into the playoffs. :wink:

B E L I E V E
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm Without Hughes we're basically the same team this year as last.
It is true what they say about yours truly being slightly optimistic BUT

It's possible that Juolevi comes in and makes an impact.

(one of Hutton/MDZ would be traded IMO.. hopefully Hutton)

The Guds has played a grand total of just 82 games in the last 2 seasons.

Tanev has played a grand total of just 95 games in the last 2 seasons.

If these two can finally remain healthy, that would improve the dee situation overall.

Now I know most don't think as highly of Gudbranson as I do

... but I've always said he's the kind of dman who needs the right partner.

And he found that in Edler last season, yeah he looked good with Eddy.

Stecher got better towards the end of the season as well.

So I'm suggesting the defence could be better this season than last.

Then add Hughes to that near the end of the season.

And into the playoffs. :wink:

B E L I E V E
^^^^^^^^^
Been on a bit of a bender have we .....!!??
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 pm ^^^^^^^^^
Been on a bit of a bender have we .....!!??
Yeahno, you weren't watching the Guds and Stecher down the stretch, remember? :mex:

And who knows about Juolevi.

Tanev could be healthy for a change...

Enjoy me while you can (what Mrs Mckenzie said to Topper) :mrgreen:

... cuz I won't be around much for the next two days and then I'll be incommunicado for a week.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Just caught the tail end of a conversation on 1040, something more about Linden leaving and why? A conference call or meeting that he gave with details later. Anyone know what this is about or just radio summer junk, like what happens here in the summer.