Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
Yeah other than spending to the cap these asshole greaseballs might be the leagues worst owners
Linden couldn’t do the job or aqualini sucks can’t be both.

I’m still not sure which one think it is.

But I’ve never bought into this idea that the Canucks were pursuing a light rebuild over a full rebuild. What does that mean anyway?
2012 when it became clear the team as it was, wasn’t good enough. All the key pieces were locked into NTCs - you know the story.
What was any GM going to do?

Any way moving forward, I seriously hope they aren’t pursuing some huge trade involving the prospects they finally have. Nor am I interested in trading what should be another high first or second.

The only card to play is to get the prospects into the line up sooner rather than later ... or not.
Yet you had no problem with the team trading away picks the past few years.... what’s changed?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm Former Canuck Proust sounding off. Sayine one down one to go. He is taking a lot of heat on twitter.

Bertuzzi saying he imagined linden found being prez harder than playing hockey. Said Canucks need a Ken Holland type.

BB not surprised but is a little shocked.
Prust is such a clown, hopefully his “famous” wife is able to keep him coked up cause I can’t imagine he’ll have much work opportunities in the league after mouthing off like a clown. Who’s B.B.?
But I thought Prust was brought in because of his great character and to be a mentor to the young players.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:00 pm But I thought Prust was brought in because of his great character and to be a mentor to the young players.
That was the only trade offered up in the Zack Kassian sweepstakes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:03 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:00 pm But I thought Prust was brought in because of his great character and to be a mentor to the young players.
That was the only trade offered up in the Zack Kassian sweepstakes.
But management said he had great character, was a great mentor and would protect the kids while setting a good example
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:04 pm But management said he had great character, was a great mentor and would protect the kids while setting a good example
I'd like to invite you to our Saturday night poker game. :mex:

Soon after the Kassian/Prust trade, Mr Kassian drove into a tree with 2 young "ladies" at 4:00 AM. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:12 pm Was Trev better at managing a gym or a Jim?

I was never a fan of the hire of Linden. To me it was a PR move to appease the fans in the coming turbulent years and at that he failed miserably.

The prez job is to make sure there are butts in seats, Trev's low key demeanour was wrong for creating excitement and ticket sales when on ice product wouldn't be generating much. A few here have long seen the plan in place. Genius Jim's message has been consistent. Trev was never able to convincingly convey it to the masses.

Adios. Help a little old lady cross the street on your way out.
Exactly, he was brought in after the Tortorella debacle and the widespread contempt for the Aquilinis amongst the fanbase. He was meant to provide a layer of insulation between the GM. It was a PR move, and I feel Trevor was pretty upfront about it from the beginning - he was never going to devote 100% of his energy to the job, and he wasn't giving up his other projects.

Looking back on it, I believe there were no involuntary waivings of NTCs after Trevor came on board. Benning made good strides getting red of players in his first year, then he was only able to move Burrows in the 3 years after that. I wonder if having an ex-NHLPA president might have affected that?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Benning and Green both spoke on Sportsnet 650AM. Really said nothing at all in regards to Linden leaving.
It will be available shortly, I think.

I'm about 85% sure now, Lumbardi will be hired.

To be brutally honest I have not heard or seen much of any advertising on the 18/19 Canucks, their season's tickets, or anything.
I don't care if it's only the end of July, this is an avid hockey market.
No TV ads or radio ads, pc ads, nothing.
Lazy? Money scrimping? Someone not doing their job?
Last I checked, it's a year round business.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Probably waiting for the new prez, waiting to see if Hughes will sign, maybe they'll be a big veteran trade out, who knows Mick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ya, Hughes signing would be a huge ad hype.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm To be brutally honest I have not heard or seen much of any advertising on the 18/19 Canucks, their season's tickets, or anything.
I don't care if it's only the end of July, this is an avid hockey market.
No TV ads or radio ads, pc ads, nothing.
Lazy? Money scrimping? Someone not doing their job?
Last I checked, it's a year round business.
Obviously they had to wait until after Linden "stepped down".

You actually posted that in the Trevor Linden Stepping Down thread! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 pm Ya, Hughes signing would be a huge ad hype.
Maybe Trev wanted Hughes to go back to college.

DUN DUN DUN

More drama! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pretty sad when a guy like Boeser isn't enough to advertise. :(
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:12 pm Was Trev better at managing a gym or a Jim?

I was never a fan of the hire of Linden. To me it was a PR move to appease the fans in the coming turbulent years and at that he failed miserably.

The prez job is to make sure there are butts in seats, Trev's low key demeanour was wrong for creating excitement and ticket sales when on ice product wouldn't be generating much. A few here have long seen the plan in place. Genius Jim's message has been consistent. Trev was never able to convincingly convey it to the masses.

Adios. Help a little old lady cross the street on your way out.
+1
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

replay of Benning & Green up in a couple of minutes sportsnet 650am radio.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m no fan of Linden but I think it’s better for him to get off the sinking ship at this point. Aquilini is making the team a laughing stock. I can’t see anyone decent wanting to work for the [mod edit]