When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks next make the playoffs?

2018-19
29%
2019-20
47%
2020-21
21%
2021-22
No votes
2022-23
No votes
after we're all dead and buried
3%

Total votes: 38

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffsw

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs: :lol: :lol: Lmao at the Gaunce hate. Let’s spend 8 million on the fourth line, 6 million on a 3rd line winger and 4.35 million on a 3rd line centre. Not to mention 4 million on a depth d man. But Gaunce and his 1 million is the issue.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That damn Gaunce is holding this team back

It’s like blaming a shitty movie on the head of craft services
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs: :lol: :lol: Lmao at the Gaunce hate. Let’s spend 8 million on the fourth line, 6 million on a 3rd line winger and 4.35 million on a 3rd line centre. Not to mention 4 million on a depth d man. But Gaunce and his 1 million is the issue.

It’s like blaming a shitty movie on the head of craft services
Blobbie, nobody has said they hate Gaunce. We are using him as a measuring stick at the quality of player that skated for us. I am not sure if your trying to be sarcastic, thick, or simply trolling..

but I'll agree with the last sentence, with Gaunce in the lineup, if that's the best player we can put on the ice (regardless the cost - we are talking skill level, NOT pay grade) our team will suck. its not Gaunce personally that will hold us back, its the lack of skill a player of that quality represents.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs: :lol: :lol: Lmao at the Gaunce hate. Let’s spend 8 million on the fourth line
lol why spend money on the 4th line, when we can spend $3 million and have the actual worst 4th line in the league?? :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am
Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 am Lmao at the Gaunce hate. The guy is a 4th liner making peanuts yet he’s the issue.
Gaunce isn’t the issue, he’s actually a good depth piece. I see him and Granlund as callup depth. If gaunce could just find that extra gear and play with a little more snarl (not talking hits more just being an asshole trying to intimidate), he could carve out a nice nhl career.
I agree with you two about Gaunce.

He's pretty good defensively/on the PK/in the dot.

I think he plays above his pay grade.

Like you say Dick, he needs to improve... he's 24 so it's possible.
Seriously?
Yes.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Gaunce isn't the cause of the team being bad, but he is definitely a symptom of a bad team, with poor depth, and and a weak prospect pool.
He's fine as the 13th forward, he's a fourth liner ATM who plays wing/centre, kills penalties, he's young and only makes $750K.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am There aren't many franchises that would have been inclined to keep Gaunce signed for this long with no sign of any improvement or chance of being an NHLer.
I thought I saw some improvement last season, wouldn't blame folks for missing it though as he was injured a lot.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am He is probably one of the 10-worst forwards to play more than 30 games in the NHL last season.
That's a stretch (even though it was an injury-plagued season for him).
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am He's slow,
He's not the world's greatest skater, but I wouldn't say he's "slow"... more like average for a big man IMO.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am soft,
Actually he hits a lot in the icetime he gets... but yeah won't take himself out of position to go for the big ones.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am doesn't score,
Well obviously they're trying to turn him into a defensive forward at the highest level.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he develops into a defensive forward who can chip in offensively.

He's kinda trending that way, was on a 9 goal pace from the 4th line last season...
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am is often injured,
True that he suffered two major injuries in the past 16 months, but I don't believe he had any injury problems before that.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am and isn't good at faceoffs.
Career 48.2% faceoff percentage is not too shabby for a 24 year old.

(and no doubt coming back from major shoulder surgery affected that last season)
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Yeaho, I'll take Beagle at $3 mil to play #4C.
Well Beagle makes four times the money Gaunce makes so yeah.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Gaunce is welcome to become a leader on the Comets, but he does not have a place in the NHL.
Gaunce would likely get claimed in my opinion.

Like I said "Gaunce needs to improve"... this season is YUGE for him.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm Gaunce would likely get claimed in my opinion.
I guess that's the main divergence in opinion between us.

To me, there is 0 chance Gaunce gets claimed. There's too many low-end projects in the league for anyone to bother putting in a waiver claim. He was (IMO, and I'm confident any statistical measure will back this up) the worst forward, on one of the worst teams in the league.

Let me put it this way - would any team in the league waive their own player/prospect/project to make a space for a claimed-Gaunce?

I think this link will work, but its the reverse-standing of forwards with >37 GP, sorted by points (lowest-highest). Kind of an arbitrary measure of who's the worst, but when you're dealing with players with minimal ice-time, I think it demonstrates the lack of effectiveness. The good ol' boys in blue managed 3 players at the bottom of FWs - Dowd, Motte and Gaunce. Those three are also at the bottom of the league in points/60 .

I think Gaunce is almost guaranteed to be waived this fall, so the proof will be in the pudding I guess. If he gets claimed, Canucks will be able to claim or sign a similarly ineffective player - but hopefully from October on there won't be room on the team for players as ineffective as Gaunce.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

What part of "defensive forward" did you not understand?

Not everything is about points my friend.

I notice some very good defensive players on page 8 of your 2nd link.

It's premature to proclaim Gaunce will be waived this fall.

As I said this season is "YUGE" for him and Gaunce knows he "has to be better".

Let's see what the 24-year-old can do now that he's finally fully healthy.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he sticks as "the 13th forward"

... and if not, a team with injuries in their bottom 6 might very well pluck him off waivers.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:34 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm Gaunce would likely get claimed in my opinion.
I guess that's the main divergence in opinion between us.

To me, there is 0 chance Gaunce gets claimed. There's too many low-end projects in the league for anyone to bother putting in a waiver claim. He was (IMO, and I'm confident any statistical measure will back this up) the worst forward, on one of the worst teams in the league.

Let me put it this way - would any team in the league waive their own player/prospect/project to make a space for a claimed-Gaunce?

I think this link will work, but its the reverse-standing of forwards with >37 GP, sorted by points (lowest-highest). Kind of an arbitrary measure of who's the worst, but when you're dealing with players with minimal ice-time, I think it demonstrates the lack of effectiveness. The good ol' boys in blue managed 3 players at the bottom of FWs - Dowd, Motte and Gaunce. Those three are also at the bottom of the league in points/60 .

I think Gaunce is almost guaranteed to be waived this fall, so the proof will be in the pudding I guess. If he gets claimed, Canucks will be able to claim or sign a similarly ineffective player - but hopefully from October on there won't be room on the team for players as ineffective as Gaunce.
Yup Gaunce will be on waivers for sure, if he gets claimed then that's helpful in a sense as it free's up a spot on the comets and canucks and a bit of the cap, plus I liken it to losing Corrado - won't make that much of a difference.

I'd rather lose Gaunce than lose a Leipsic or Granlund type.

Gagner could be the main roster trade bait if Gaudette plays awesome.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am Lmao at the Gaunce hate.

:cheers:

Hey Skyo how much cap space does shipping out a $750K player "free up"?

Hint: The player would have to be replaced and the NHL minimum wage is $650K. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gonna guess some team will claim Gaunce and his $750K, then in time he'll be claimed again by another team, and he'll bounce around a few teams before becoming a career ahl/nhler for his pro career, his size will help him stick longer in the pros. He just doesn't have that gritty play coaches love from depth players.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am
Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 am Lmao at the Gaunce hate. The guy is a 4th liner making peanuts yet he’s the issue.
Gaunce isn’t the issue, he’s actually a good depth piece. I see him and Granlund as callup depth. If gaunce could just find that extra gear and play with a little more snarl (not talking hits more just being an asshole trying to intimidate), he could carve out a nice nhl career.
I agree with you two about Gaunce.

He's pretty good defensively/on the PK/in the dot.

I think he plays above his pay grade.

Like you say Dick, he needs to improve... he's 24 so it's possible.
Seriously?
Yes.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Gaunce isn't the cause of the team being bad, but he is definitely a symptom of a bad team, with poor depth, and and a weak prospect pool.
He's fine as the 13th forward, he's a fourth liner ATM who plays wing/centre, kills penalties, he's young and only makes $750K.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am There aren't many franchises that would have been inclined to keep Gaunce signed for this long with no sign of any improvement or chance of being an NHLer.
I thought I saw some improvement last season, wouldn't blame folks for missing it though as he was injured a lot.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am He is probably one of the 10-worst forwards to play more than 30 games in the NHL last season.
That's a stretch (even though it was an injury-plagued season for him).
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am He's slow,
He's not the world's greatest skater, but I wouldn't say he's "slow"... more like average for a big man IMO.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am soft,
Actually he hits a lot in the icetime he gets... but yeah won't take himself out of position to go for the big ones.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am doesn't score,
Well obviously they're trying to turn him into a defensive forward at the highest level.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he develops into a defensive forward who can chip in offensively.

He's kinda trending that way, was on a 9 goal pace from the 4th line last season...
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am is often injured,
True that he suffered two major injuries in the past 16 months, but I don't believe he had any injury problems before that.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am and isn't good at faceoffs.
Career 48.2% faceoff percentage is not too shabby for a 24 year old.

(and no doubt coming back from major shoulder surgery affected that last season)
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Yeaho, I'll take Beagle at $3 mil to play #4C.
Well Beagle makes four times the money Gaunce makes so yeah.
ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am Gaunce is welcome to become a leader on the Comets, but he does not have a place in the NHL.
Gaunce would likely get claimed in my opinion.

Like I said "Gaunce needs to improve"... this season is YUGE for him.
Well said, this is how I view him as well, it pains me because ms is a huge gaunce fanboy and I can’t stand him(ms), but gaunce has excellent hockey iq, will hit (I’d wish he’d be more “nasty” though), and has great fancy stats. If he could improve his foot speed even marginally I think he’d be a mainstay on the team. I hope gaunce and liepsic are able to stick around.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:05 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs: :lol: :lol: Lmao at the Gaunce hate. Let’s spend 8 million on the fourth line
lol why spend money on the 4th line, when we can spend $3 million and have the actual worst 4th line in the league?? :lol:
Or spend 6 million and get 24 points and 7 hits? Or spend 4 million and have a guy whose breakout pass is blasting the puck off the glass and averages 5 points a year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I could care less about Gaunce. I’m just laughing at the chimps who paint him as a huge issue with the team. Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, the new three amigos, Hutton,Nilsson and Granlund all are worse bang for the buck for this team. This is a cap league after all.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bubbles has a soft spot for ole Gauncey. Gillis drafted him

Mike Gillis top 5 draft picks in his 6 runs at the draft table

1. Bo Horvat (traded Corey Schneider for him)
2. Connauton (traded him and a 2nd round pick for the great rental of Derek Roy)
3. Ben Hutton (all smiles no steak)
4. Gaunce
5. um...I can't think of anyone else? Can anyone throw me a bone here?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Got fuck all to do with who drafted Gaunce. He just isn't the biggest problem on a team that includes Nilsson, Granlund,Sutter, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Beaglet, Roussel etc.

I don't like Hutton and Eye Bags drafted him. I hated Labate and Jensen too
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Gaunce will have a shot until Schaller is healthy. He hasn’t shown enough of anything for anyone to worry about what happens to him. He has a nice inexpensive contract but will be battling for a bottom six spot. He won’t impede the opportunities for players like Goldobin, Darlene, Pettersson. Maybe Leipsic.

If he is defensively responsible and he isn’t surrending offensive opportunities to the opposition he will become a Green player. If he can’t be trusted in that role then there is no other role for him.
The only HW the Canucks need