When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks next make the playoffs?

2018-19
29%
2019-20
47%
2020-21
21%
2021-22
No votes
2022-23
No votes
after we're all dead and buried
3%

Total votes: 38

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

Opportunity for everyone to have their say, what season will the Canucks make the playoffs?

No one is really wrong in their assumptions as anything can happen, see Vegas.

[Mod edit: added a poll]
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: When will the Canucks make the playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

I believe that the Canucks will make the playoffs in the 2020/21 season.

This season there is the Sedin transition to occur, the team will need to find a new identity and new players will be expected to provide leadership. It takes time to develop that.

On the forward front, other than the additional of EP I do not see more goals coming from this team as compared to last year. Boeser will be starting his second year and that line will now be taking the others teams top defensive line. They will need to time to learn how to work through that. The team will also need to see how the others (Gaudette/Dahlen/Golby/etc) are slotted in and given time to develop, but the top 6 will be extremely young to expect a lot out of them for next season or 2. In the 2019/20 season these guys will continue to develop and play in different situations in a game, learn to play both ends of the ice.

On the back end, I do not see anyone new starting. I would love to see Hughes be on the starting day roster but I am worried about this occurring and to his long term development. I would prefer him to be in the minors and called up to do some games and then back down to work on the areas needed. Julio, the same thing, these 2 are currently the future of the backend. This would mean that in the 2019/20 season these 2 are full time on the team but still both rookies and I expect rookie mistakes etc.

In net, I am assuming Demko will be the goalie we hope him to be, and he gets 20ish games this year and then full back up (30 – 40 games) in the 2019/20 season.

Assumptions
1 – coaches make this all work
2 – no major trades or crazy breakout season by someone not mentioned
3 – players on the team, i.e. Virtanen/Gaudette etc. continue to progress into serviceable top 9 guys

Now in the 2020/21 season, the rookies we have now will all have 1 – 2 seasons under their belt. Being developed to play both ends of the ice and still be given the opportunity to develop their offensive style without sitting on the bench for mistakes.

In this year we can make the proper FA signings to fill in the gaps, we can sign the Tavares of that year as they will see the Canucks with all the pieces. I am not saying the Canucks will win the SC but I do see them making some noise and learning the playoff game which is different than regular season.

I see the 2021/22 season where they really start to make the final 4 teams a high probability.

Lastly – yes hell can freeze over so I am predicting a 10% chance of the Canucks making the playoffs in 2018/19 and 50% chance in 2019/20.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 pm I am predicting a 10% chance of the Canucks making the playoffs in 2018/19
I'll take that bet. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by Cornuck »

A lot of things need to fall in place to make the playoff this year, and it could happen.

We need the D to make a big step forward - does Hughes make the team and provide enough offense from the back end?

We need more scoring from the forwards (and help from the D to transition) - does Pettersson make the team and add enough offense?

Will Markstrom play like a number 1, or will Nilsson show his 'team Sweden' form and take over?

Will injuries deplete us after we have a promising start up to January?

Although it's possible, I don't see enough happening in our favour to make it this year, but we could be looking a wild card battle if a couple of those things work in our favour. My bet? 2019-20.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 pm I believe that the Canucks will make the playoffs in the 2020/21 season.

This season there is the Sedin transition to occur, the team will need to find a new identity and new players will be expected to provide leadership. It takes time to develop that.

On the forward front, other than the additional of EP I do not see more goals coming from this team as compared to last year. Boeser will be starting his second year and that line will now be taking the others teams top defensive line. They will need to time to learn how to work through that. The team will also need to see how the others (Gaudette/Dahlen/Golby/etc) are slotted in and given time to develop, but the top 6 will be extremely young to expect a lot out of them for next season or 2. In the 2019/20 season these guys will continue to develop and play in different situations in a game, learn to play both ends of the ice.

On the back end, I do not see anyone new starting. I would love to see Hughes be on the starting day roster but I am worried about this occurring and to his long term development. I would prefer him to be in the minors and called up to do some games and then back down to work on the areas needed. Julio, the same thing, these 2 are currently the future of the backend. This would mean that in the 2019/20 season these 2 are full time on the team but still both rookies and I expect rookie mistakes etc.

In net, I am assuming Demko will be the goalie we hope him to be, and he gets 20ish games this year and then full back up (30 – 40 games) in the 2019/20 season.

Assumptions
1 – coaches make this all work
2 – no major trades or crazy breakout season by someone not mentioned
3 – players on the team, i.e. Virtanen/Gaudette etc. continue to progress into serviceable top 9 guys

Now in the 2020/21 season, the rookies we have now will all have 1 – 2 seasons under their belt. Being developed to play both ends of the ice and still be given the opportunity to develop their offensive style without sitting on the bench for mistakes.

In this year we can make the proper FA signings to fill in the gaps, we can sign the Tavares of that year as they will see the Canucks with all the pieces. I am not saying the Canucks will win the SC but I do see them making some noise and learning the playoff game which is different than regular season.

I see the 2021/22 season where they really start to make the final 4 teams a high probability.

Lastly – yes hell can freeze over so I am predicting a 10% chance of the Canucks making the playoffs in 2018/19 and 50% chance in 2019/20.
Then why didn’t you vote that way?

I see I’m the only one so far that has voted for 20/21
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm I see I’m the only one so far that has voted for 20/21
The question is... will you change it later like that last poll? :drink:

Just kidding brah, nice to see your faith in Jim Benning!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ill say next year. We have so many hats in the ring were bound to have some pleasant suprises. I predict we take a fairly significant step forward this season but next year will be when it starts to pay off
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:38 pm Ill say next year. We have so many hats in the ring were bound to have some pleasant suprises. I predict we take a fairly significant step forward this season but next year will be when it starts to pay off
My thoughts exactly, I can see this season being a possibility and even bet somebody on a different site that it will happen, but 2019 is our year.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am torn on this.

IF (and it's a big 'if') we stay healthy, we will compete for a playoff spot this year, and if we are lucky with injuries and only have 1 key guy injured at a time, I think we can squeak in. ( I think we are better than a lot of people give us credit for).

IF we <only> lose 1 or 2 key guys at a time, I think we have the depth to still be competitive, but won't make the playoffs.

But alas, if like the last few years, the injury bug doesn't rush through the lineup, but instead casually strolls through spending some quality time with everyone, we are a lottery team.

My thoughts are not on that little poll, so I didn't vote.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Always the optimist.
Playoffs this year. Cup 20/21.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm
Then why didn’t you vote that way?

I see I’m the only one so far that has voted for 20/21
Mainly because the mod added the poll option after i posted, I thought about it but didn't do it.

I have since voted for 20/21.

Thanks to the mod that did it.
Last edited by 2Fingers on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

My thoughts too are competing for a wild card this year.
It's truly a new page this year and the excitement alone is worth a lot.

Gees, Reef; Would have been a lot easier if you'd thrown this damn thing out first week of October.
But you knew that didn't you. :evil:

Good thread, Reef.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:38 pm Ill say next year. We have so many hats in the ring were bound to have some pleasant suprises. I predict we take a fairly significant step forward this season but next year will be when it starts to pay off
My thoughts exactly, I can see this season being a possibility and even bet somebody on a different site that it will happen, but 2019 is our year.
Agreed except most of our hats are in the forwards, only a D man is new and he is an offensive guy. Goalie is also a weakness so I am giving time for Demko to be brought forward properly and without the stress of being the savior of the team.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The new and improved Juolevi says hi.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

See sig...

Playoffs this year is a very low possibility.

What I'm excited for is another significant step forward from the youngsters (Bo, Brock, JV) and to see how our young prospects develop on the big club and minors. Even if they don't make it out of camp, they'll be sure to get called up for a cup of joe this season.

Next year is the year.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!