When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks next make the playoffs?

2018-19
29%
2019-20
47%
2020-21
21%
2021-22
No votes
2022-23
No votes
after we're all dead and buried
3%

Total votes: 38

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: When will the Canucks Next make the playoffs

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:29 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:35 pm You mouthed off about goals per game to prop up Loser Louie.
Wrong, I pointed out what the guy actually said... vs... your strawman.

Oooohh drawings even.

LOL you waded into a debate and got clobbered again. See your way out :lol: head first through the door bird legs

Your words: “Blob never watches the games”.
How drunk are you? :wow:

You're confusing the two conversations my friend

... as the strawman you created whooshes over your head.
You and your left hand have both said on multiple occasions that I don’t watch the games.

Own it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

OWN THIS:
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:43 pm Kopitar was and is a more consistent, well rounded top center but I would say Henriks peak was higher. For about 2 years he was magic.
Blob hates his Vancouver Canucks... past, present, and future.
When we see Docs lost the plot. The attacks:

Blob hates the Canucks

Blob never watches games
You are in a love/hate relationship with your Vancouver Canucks, the sooner you face up to it... the better.

You said yourself you've only watched the first half of each of the last few seasons...
I said after 50+ games but again keep pulling facts out of your ass
OH... so you watch 61% of the games! :hmmm:

I can totally see why you are offended I said you only watch 50%. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now go home and sleep it off...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nothing to sleep off.

Just dusted my mitts again ala Brashear
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:38 pm
UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 am But the edge in my view goes to Kopitar because he is a GREAT defensive center.
Well, one thing in Henrik 's favor is that his offensive peak was higher than Kopitar's. In Kopitar's best-ever season, he was 5th amongst centers for scoring, whereas Hank ran away with the Ross in his peak year.

And Kopitar's defensive play is up-and-down as well. In his down year, he finished 15th for Selke voting, and won it last year. When his offence wasn't going, his defensive play wasn't good enough to drag the Kings to the playoffs.
Anze Kopitar is everything Jonathan Toews is reputed to be (but is not as good at). He makes $500,000 less. And while Toews is showing wear and tear while being only 30, Kopitar isn't slowing down and he plays a game (like Henrik -- great awareness and ability to absorb physical play) that keeps him healthy and is the game that should translate throughout the term of his contract. Its a good contract.

I'd say Kopitar was looking far worse than Toews in 16/17, slow and battered and old. I'd say its as likely that Toews throws down a career year next year as it is likely that Kopitar goes back to 60/70 points.
I agree that Henrik's best season was better than anything Kopitar has put together. And his peak 3 were better than Kopitar's (which we may not yet have seen). But over the course of the career, I give a slight edge to Kopitar as far as their whole body of work through age 30. And I think the world of Henrik. Which says something about how much I admire Kopitar.

As for the Selke voting, it's not a great proxy for evaluating defensive play. Offense inexplicably seems to be a part of the voters' calculation; when a scorer goes quiet, he doesn't get rewarded with a Selke unless it's a career transformation.

At any rate, I don't think it is really debatable that Kopitar is consistently among the top 5 centers in the league in two way play (where one way is still offense). Bergeron is another, arguably Toews. (We don't think about Crosby or McDavid as great defensive players, but I think they have complete games when they are locked in, with McDavid more inconsistent in his effort). And I don't think its really debatable that Kopitar is better defensively than Henrik -- whose primary defensive attribute was always "keep away" possession (which I am not knocking at all; the Sedins were very effective players before their breakthrough during the wce era because they controlled the puck. I posted indefatigably about this on central during the time).

As for Toews, he's surpassed 70 points once in his career. He hasn't hit 60 for the past 3 years. Some of those numbers are influenced by injury and while injuries are largely influenced by luck, to the extent they can be minimized, Kopitar does everything correctly (always in shape, absorbs hits, awareness, body control, and sees defense as getting the puck back and not slamming his body into other players). Toews does not.
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

All fair points, UW! I'll confess I don't watch Kopitar closely enough to really debate you on this.

But more importantly, when does UW say the Canucks will next make the playoffs? :drink:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am All fair points, UW! I'll confess I don't watch Kopitar closely enough to really debate you on this.

But more importantly, when does UW say the Canucks will next make the playoffs? :drink:
Given that the Pacific has become a study in mediocrity, it might be sooner than what's on paper would predict.... But for this season, the Canucks (1) must have at least two offensive breakouts (e.g., Baerstchi becomes a 30 goal scorer; Horvat becomes a 70 point guy; Pettersson is a calder candidate) and (2) the defense needs to be better and healthy. (1) is more likely than (2).

Oh, and I think you can add to that list a need to improve the special teams, particularly the PK. Last season was an improvement (it couldn't get worse that '16-'17), but without the Sedins.... It seems that Beagle and Schaller were acquired specifically towards getting SH numbers up -- and if you can have 4th liners play effectively on the PK, that's a big deal for even strength play as well. But we will see....
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Instead of a separate thread I’d be curious how many points some folks think the Canucks may get next season.

I’m guessing a slight improvement to 78-84 points next year. The following year I don’t see playoffs and maybe another small step forward unless Hughes and Petterson are both studs and Elmer signs a blue chip UFA on D in 2019.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I foresee a very similar year and expect at least a couple of significant injuries to key players. My guess is somewhere between 70 to 80 points.

If the injuries pile up, they could challenge for bottom of the league but otherwise I think we’ll be somewhere in that 5-10 range come draft time (well we will probably be in that range anyway even if we are bottom feeder :lol: )
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm gonna say 85-95 points.

(It's just more fun when you're an optimistic sports fan :drink: )
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Assuming we don't get too many injuries (which we will) and Pettersson works out to be a Calder candidate (which he might), I could see us getting back to .500 hockey - so I'll go with 82 points.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

rockalt wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:21 am I foresee a very similar year and expect at least a couple of significant injuries to key players. My guess is somewhere between 70 to 80 points.

If the injuries pile up, they could challenge for bottom of the league but otherwise I think we’ll be somewhere in that 5-10 range come draft time (well we will probably be in that range anyway even if we are bottom feeder :lol: )
I am not as worried about injuries this year as past years.. for the first time in my memory, we have organizational depth, and this years depthnis better than Megna, Gaunce and Chaput of the last few years..

So long as Horvat and Boeser are healthy all year, we challenge for a playoff spot. Not saying we make it, saying we challenge for one.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

~80 to 85 points.

1st of a 2 year transition from Sedins to the new group.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

94 points
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ill go 90-95 and sneaking into the show. The league has become younger and skilled players like we seem to have a significant number of are who thrives.
Im banking on EP and Dahlen lighting it up and Hughes coming in late to rock it for us.

Positive vibes and all that shit
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Two scoring lines for other teams to cover,
Juolevi much better & readier than expected,
Better goalie prep.
92-94 points in a sweat hog division,
maybe, just maybe.