What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm Yeah the ELC isn't as big of a deal as the countdown to unrestricted free agency. IIRC, that happens at the 40 game mark.
I know that that's the accepted wisdom, but I don't agree. That extra year of an ELC will save $3-5 million in cap space. For the hand-wringing in this market over Beagle and Roussel's contracts, it's seems contradictory to then blow that much cap space for the sake of 10-15 games.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sometimes it's simply desperation to create a buzz in order to sell tickets for the following year.
Hopefully, that won't be necessary for about a decade.
"evolution"
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Kidding aside it is a good plan but I would see about him signing as soon as his season ends. Screw his ELC. Getting him into the NHL for 10 or so games would be good for him, and good for the rebuild optics.
[/quote]

Optics - selling seats - driving add revenue - so much can be gained from a business standpoint if Hughes plays this year.

I think he really wants to go pro and sign this summer - will be a marketing boon if he signs, I would rather see OJ get the rookie d minutes howevr this year.

Going to be a fun year to see which guys make the big club and who is going to get called up through out the year. I won't be watching for wins but the team has my interest meter way up over previous years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm Yeah the ELC isn't as big of a deal as the countdown to unrestricted free agency. IIRC, that happens at the 40 game mark.
I know that that's the accepted wisdom, but I don't agree. That extra year of an ELC will save $3-5 million in cap space. For the hand-wringing in this market over Beagle and Roussel's contracts, it's seems contradictory to then blow that much cap space for the sake of 10-15 games.
Sure, how much you pay your players is a consideration (and a big one), but the first priority is ensuring they stay with the franchise.

Another way to look at it is that, as the Canucks could start talking extension after about 80-90 NHL games played, it only gives the player one year to really prove he's worth a long-term/big money second contract.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benning will make room for Hughes if he signs with the team, with the ol' clarification - 'if he comes in and earns a spot' we'll make room for him.

Either way I think if Hughes signs they'll trade one of Hutton or MDZ.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

When Hughes steps into training camp and blows around everyone like he can and will...you wont be able to keep him out of the opening 6 dmen. Hes flat out our best dman already
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm When Hughes steps into training camp and blows around everyone like he can and will...you wont be able to keep him out of the opening 6 dmen. Hes flat out our best dman already
Which is why we are 3 years away from making the playoffs and 4+ years from being contenders. Also the reason to move 1 of Edler or Tanev for picks.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’d assume this has to get done before the long weekend if not sooner. Leads me to believe he will be signing here as I think his college team would want a heads up.

Throw him to the wolves. I hope he plays with Tanev.

Will add an element of skill and speed to the team they have not seen in years if ever.

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Pouliott Bulldog

Waive or trade Hutton

Real murderers row there
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm I’d assume this has to get done before the long weekend if not sooner. Leads me to believe he will be signing here as I think his college team would want a heads up.

Will add an element of skill and speed to the team they have not seen in years if ever.

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Pouliott Bulldog

Waive or trade Hutton

Real murderers row there
It’s edler and guddy on the top pairing
Then Hughes and Tanev
And Del Zotto/Hutton and Biega/pouloit

Edler and guddy played great together plus if either is gonna be traded those two playing together should improve trade value, edler will actually play physical and guddy looked good with him. Then as Hughes gets confident with the speed of the game let him and guddy play that second pairing when Tanev gets injured and let tony play with edler.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm When Hughes steps into training camp and blows around everyone like he can and will...you wont be able to keep him out of the opening 6 dmen. Hes flat out our best dman already
Which is why we are 3 years away from making the playoffs and 4+ years from being contenders. Also the reason to move 1 of Edler or Tanev for picks.
:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm I’d assume this has to get done before the long weekend if not sooner. Leads me to believe he will be signing here as I think his college team would want a heads up.

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Pouliott Bulldog

Waive or trade Hutton

Real murderers row there
Then Hughes and Tanev

Edler and guddy played great together plus if either is gonna be traded those two playing together should improve trade value, edler will actually play physical and guddy looked good with him. Then as Hughes gets confident with the speed of the game let him and guddy play that second pairing when Tanev gets injured and let tony play with edler.
Edler carried Dudbranson for a few games and then couldn’t carry him in the Vegas debacle where he was a clown show. Sure throw them together for 23 minutes a night. Gives us a way better chance at Brother Jack
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm Edler carried Dudbranson for a few games
This was during the 32 games you didn't watch amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Pouliott Bulldog

Waive or trade Hutton

Real murderers row there
Then Hughes and Tanev

Edler carried Dudbranson for a few games and then couldn’t carry him in the Vegas debacle where he was a clown show. Sure throw them together for 23 minutes a night. Gives us a way better chance at Brother Jack
They played well together, and vegas gave more than just Vancouver issues with their playstyle, but they won’t play 23 minutes a night, I’m guessing they’ll try and keep the top 4 pretty even Steven. Actually I’m guessing the whole lineup is gonna be a lot more like 1234 Willie deployment, running 4 lines is something management and coaches want to be able to do, and with the free agents signed I think the team will be fine with that.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

A good shift by shift breakdown vid,He's definitely got some defensive warts.
Not sure if this has been posted already
https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/commen ... at_hughes/

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I was hoping to see Hughes this season, but this is probably for the best, he'll get stronger and the Canucks can simply let MDZ walk in the 19' offseason, and maybe trade one of Edler or Hutton to make room, basically this buys some time to make room and one last year for all the left siders on defense to prove themselves, increase trade value. (& of note it's contract years for Alex Edler and Del Zotto, they will be playing for their pro career $$$$).

Rick Dhaliwal with the updates:
Just talked with agent Jim Hughes, Quinn's dad and he says the decision was made last night at the Hughes house in Michigan with agent Pat Brisson and the #Canucks.
Jim Hughes on the decision, "Quinn went back and forth, he struggled with the call to go to the NHL, every kid wants to get there fast but we did not rush.

1 more year in college will not hurt him, he wants to get stronger and pack on some pounds."
Jim Hughes : "We looked at Zach Werenski and Charlie McAvoy, we do not want to rush.

At the end of the day Quinn made a great choice along with Vancouver." #Canucks
Jim Hughes : "Quinn talked to Jim and Travis last night, everyone was on the same page.

Because we were travelling so much in last month, finally we got together and made the call."
Jim Hughes : "The #Canucks were great, Quinn talked with Trevor, Jim, Travis and Weisbrod.

Quinn has the vision to get to Vancouver and he will get there." #Canucks
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.