What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

A few other thoughts.

Signing Hughes would alleviate some pressure off Juolevi's first season. Easily allowing him to start with the Comets and avoid the Van media.

Unless you catch them with their head down, hitting a kid with the level of skill and mobility that this kid has is waaay harder than it looks. He DOES NOT stop skating and he is slippery as fuck.

This Karlsson situation is holding up a number of other moves not unlike that of Taveras. Benning's hands are somewhat tied atm.

DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm

I voted to keep Hughes in NCAA.

He is the shiny new toy and I sure as hell would love to see him in a Canuck uni this year.

I don't want to burn a ELC in a tough rebuilding year, and heaven forbid if Pettersson figures it out early along with Gaudette and then Hughes comes along we might get pushed out of a good draft position!

When everyone can hold true to the notion we need to be bottom 5 team for one more top draft we can all relax about exposing our kids to this type of losing. I would prefer Hughes takes a shot at the Hobey Baker award, dominates in Van for Team USA at Christmas and gets called up for a few games at the end of the season as we prepare to draft for another stud.

NCAA players do have considerably more time in the gym during the season than a NHL player. I don't think his size matters but a solid year of strength building can't hurt.

Of course Hughes is holding the cards if he says yes to signing, I think his skill will see him play the majority of the games in Van not Utica.

Will be very interesting to see what the kid does... the decision will probably be made soon.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm

DHA wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm
heaven forbid if Pettersson figures it out early along with Gaudette and then Hughes comes along we might get pushed out of a good draft position!
Well personally I'm hoping we make the playoffs this season.

In fact, for a few years now, I've been predicting 2018-19 might be the year!

Please forgive me. :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm

In fact, for a few years now, I've been predicting 2018-19 might be the year
!

Links or it didn't happen.

:lol:

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm

:lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 pm
DHA wrote:
heaven forbid if Pettersson figures it out early along with Gaudette and then Hughes comes along we might get pushed out of a good draft position!

In fact, for a few years now, I've been predicting 2018-19 might be the year!

If the team acquires a Sami Salo power right handed blaster, that would help the team moving forward. and notably help the squad make the playoffs.

Need a Peter Schaefer traded to Sens for Salo move.
2002:
Sami Salo may be the missing link the Vancouver Canucks were seeking to augment one of the best power plays in the National Hockey League.

The Canucks have been trying to fill a hole on their power play since Andrew Cassels left for the Columbus Blue Jackets during the summer through unrestricted free agency.

Cassels was used as a passer near the net, a set-up man for snipers Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund last season. The presence of Cassels, a second-line centre, allowed the Canucks to use No. 1 centre Brendan Morrison at the point opposite Ed Jovanovski.

The Vancouver coaches can now have Morrison work near the net with his wingers because Salo, who was acquired on Saturday from the Ottawa Senators for unsigned Peter Schaefer, will be expected to play at the point.

The trade, which was in the works for a few days, is a nice fit for everyone because the Senators needed depth at left wing after trading Shawn McEachern to the Atlanta Thrashers last summer.

Salo, 28, was expendable because of Ottawa's depth on defence, which includes rookie Anton Volchenkov from Russia.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e25305822/
slowdays of summer, lemme post some bs lol.

Who is expendable in the league? Justin Faulk - because of Carolina's depth on defense.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm
Justin Faulk
Where will he play though, one year or so from now:

Hughes – Woo
Juolevi – Tryamkin
Brisebois - Chatfield

There's no room!!

Stop Jimmy STOP the awesome drafting/pick-ups... we're drowning in great young players! :cry:

It's not fair to them, think of the children... Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm
SKYO wrote:
Justin Faulk

Hughes – Woo
Juolevi – Tryamkin
Brisebois - Chatfield

There's no room!!

Stop Jimmy STOP the awesome drafting/pick-ups... we're drowning in great young players! :cry:

breh, Woo tops out as a 2nd pairing dman.

And looking at the right side D you posted, maybe the team should package up Juolevi for a top tier right side dman for the long haul.

And have Tryamkin to play left side 2nd pairing.

Hughes - (new big right side dman)
Tryamkin - Woo
Brisebois - Chatfield
Utunen - Brassard
Gunnarsson -
Rathbone -
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Rick Dhaliwal:

Boeser on Hughes big decision - college or pro,

"I know my 2nd year really helped me a lot, off ice I really think I got a lot stronger."
Boeser has spoken, saying another year in college helped a lot, that could sway Mr Hughes to go back one more season & then probably sign near the end of the Canucks season in 2019 probably.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 pm
Rick Dhaliwal:

"I know my 2nd year really helped me a lot, off ice I really think I got a lot stronger."
Boeser has spoken, saying another year in college helped a lot, that could sway Mr Hughes to go back one more season & then probably sign near the end of the Canucks season in 2019 probably.
Yeahno, Mr Hughes in Dylan's shoes is convinced he is "ready for the NHL right now".

If he is told to back to college, he will not be pleased about it.

One more year of college might be the best thing for him though, for all we know.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm
SKYO wrote:
Rick Dhaliwal:

Yeahno, Mr Hughes in Dylan's shoes is convinced he is "ready for the NHL right now".

If he is told to back to college, he will not be pleased about it.

One more year of college might be the best thing for him though, for all we know.
While I agree with most of your sentiment Hughes has the upper hand. Yes we all know he feels he’s ready for, and wants to turn pro, but it’s his choice. If he’s hell bent on it then he can just come out and say, I ain’t going back to college.

So given we all know his position, and given that he’s said repeatedly that he will consult with those around him, I doubt he will be that upset, or not too, not pleased with the decision. Perhaps disappointed somewhat but he is and will be part of the decision making process. Let’s not get into how not pleased he will be.
The only HW the Canucks need

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm

disappointed = displeased 8-)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 pm

SKYO wrote:
Rick Dhaliwal:

Just like Juolevi would be motivated to be a better player had Vancouver drafted Evan Bouchard right? Because someone is an Uber defenceman or something Aha

And Gudbranson was a tower of power etc
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm
SKYO wrote:
Justin Faulk

Hughes – Woo
Juolevi – Tryamkin
Brisebois - Chatfield

There's no room!!

Drowning in great young players. Thanks for the laugh :lol:
CHatfield and Brisebois. LOL yes every young prospect turns out all the time
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 pm

DHA wrote:
I voted to keep Hughes in NCAA.

He is the shiny new toy and I sure as hell would love to see him in a Canuck uni this year.

I don't want to burn a ELC in a tough rebuilding year, and heaven forbid if Pettersson figures it out early along with Gaudette and then Hughes comes along we might get pushed out of a good draft position!

When everyone can hold true to the notion we need to be bottom 5 team for one more top draft we can all relax about exposing our kids to this type of losing. I would prefer Hughes takes a shot at the Hobey Baker award, dominates in Van for Team USA at Christmas and gets called up for a few games at the end of the season as we prepare to draft for another stud.

NCAA players do have considerably more time in the gym during the season than a NHL player. I don't think his size matters but a solid year of strength building can't hurt.

Of course Hughes is holding the cards if he says yes to signing, I think his skill will see him play the majority of the games in Van not Utica.

Will be very interesting to see what the kid does... the decision will probably be made soon.
Don't get a job with the public relations dept. for the Canucks.
Man; That is seriously the last thing fans want to hear; Another bottom 5 display for a high pick.
Wouldn't be slappin that on the side of busses.
Maybe one day the Hughes bros will play on the same NHL team.
BUT IT WILL NOT BE THRU THE DRAFT 1
"evolution"