If you could move just one

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CanuckOne
AHL Prospect

Re: If you could move just one

Post by CanuckOne »

I’d like to see Green move. Bring back Vigneault. He had the team playing a high tempo offensive game. Green just can’t seem to get the team to attack. Also it’s time to bring in somebody to take care of the youngsters. Both EP and Hughes are small and will be mashed everyone. Protect your assets. If nothing else a god scrap is entertaining. For the cost of a ticket today it’s time to get your monies worth.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

CanuckOne wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 pm I’d like to see Green move. Bring back Vigneault. He had the team playing a high tempo offensive game. Green just can’t seem to get the team to attack. Also it’s time to bring in somebody to take care of the youngsters. Both EP and Hughes are small and will be mashed everyone. Protect your assets. If nothing else a god scrap is entertaining. For the cost of a ticket today it’s time to get your monies worth.
Are you comparing AV with the team he had to the team now with Green?

Regarding protecting the youngsters, what about the 2 guys they just signed.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Schaller had two fights last year. Beaglet has had one scrap in five years and got the piss punched out of him. He got absolutely dummied by Aaron Asham. These guys are hard workers, but not fighters. Roussel is a decent middleweight scrapper who isn’t afraid but he is more of an agitator

May as well thin out the herd on defence and bring back Bieksa if that’s what you want.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

CanuckOne wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 pm I’d like to see Green move. Bring back Vigneault. He had the team playing a high tempo offensive game. Green just can’t seem to get the team to attack. Also it’s time to bring in somebody to take care of the youngsters. Both EP and Hughes are small and will be mashed everyone. Protect your assets. If nothing else a god scrap is entertaining. For the cost of a ticket today it’s time to get your monies worth.
Don't worry; Green and his staff will be on trial this year as much as any player.
The leash will not be long, at all.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 pm
Don't worry; Green and his staff will be on trial this year as much as any player.
The leash will not be long, at all.
100% disagree - what is everyone expecting? a playoff spot? Challenging for the cup (out there i know)?

The only way Green is on a short leash is if he plays the pylons more than the young guys, if we see Beagle on the PP then something smells in Denmark. The team is in rebuild mode for a year or 2 so developing the players and not worrying about the standings is what he should be concentrating on.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elmer already used his fire the coach ticket. Not sure what Mickey Mouse expects from this roster.

Ignitowski is on thinner ice than Travis.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Agreed on the need to protect the youngsters. I miss the days when we had Hordichuck, Rypien, Glass, Bieksa and O'Brien to fuck with people. Incidentally, those teams were some of the best Vancouver ever iced.

As for the coaching, given the current roster, I'm not sure how much offense we can expect out of this team. The Horvat/Boeser line will need to carry a heavy load, and I fear a lot will be asked of EP right out of the gate. If AV was brought back, you'd be more likely to see his 06/07 deployment vs 11/12.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm Schaller had two fights last year.
Says here Shaller had 4 fights last year:

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fi ... px?P=73541

Roussel will fight anyone, anytime:

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... =21553&L=1

Same with Gudbranson, and we have a few others who would step up in certain situations.

The kids will be alright...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am Lord Benning is on thinner ice than Travis.
Lol you've been repeating this for years, it's obviously not true, time to wake up brother...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm Schaller had two fights last year. Beaglet has had one scrap in five years and got the piss punched out of him. He got absolutely dummied by Aaron Asham. These guys are hard workers, but not fighters. Roussel is a decent middleweight scrapper who isn’t afraid but he is more of an agitator

May as well thin out the herd on defence and bring back Bieksa if that’s what you want.
Other than guys like reaves, Kassian, there aren’t many heavyweight fighters in the league anymore. Schaller is willing at least and can hold his own, roussel fights a fair bit, difference is both Schaller and roussel are better at hockey. Gotta remember now that we got more guys willing to go, guddy isn’t on an island by himself, and guddy is still one of the top heavyweights in the league.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm Schaller had two fights last year. Beaglet has had one scrap in five years and got the piss punched out of him. He got absolutely dummied by Aaron Asham. These guys are hard workers, but not fighters. Roussel is a decent middleweight scrapper who isn’t afraid but he is more of an agitator

Other than guys like reaves, Kassian, there aren’t many heavyweight fighters in the league anymore. Schaller is willing at least and can hold his own, roussel fights a fair bit, difference is both Schaller and roussel are better at hockey. Gotta remember now that we got more guys willing to go, guddy isn’t on an island by himself, and guddy is still one of the top heavyweights in the league.
it is not just fighting, it is the wack to the ankles or the "late hit" to the right player that also sends messages.

Fights are down (too lazy to look it up) so I am assuming there are other ways to make opposing team more accountable.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Interesting thread...

My answer is Markstrom.

Here's my rationale.

(1) He is good, but he is not quite league average for a starter and his ceiling, IMO, is to be a league average starter.

(2) While I believe that the Canucks are making some good changes, I don't see this team as being anything more than average in the goal scoring department in the next couple of years.

(3) As they are presently comprised, the Canucks are far worse than league average at keeping pucks out of their net for goalie-independent reasons. (Too many quality chances against, not enough possession time). This is unlikely to change in the near future unless the Canucks hit big on at least 2 of Juolevi, Hughes, and Tryamkin.

(4) If the best case most realistic near term scenario (2 year time horizon) is an average team in term of scoring goals and a below average team in terms of quality chances against, you don't get into the playoffs with a league average goalie.

(5) The Canucks have a potential better-than-league-average goalie who is ready for NHL exposure. Sure, he could get burned, but I think he is ready enough for the Canucks to really see what they have.

(6) There could be a Markstrom market for a team that is above average at scoring goals or is above average at reducing quality chances against. Markstrom can help such a team get into the playoffs.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

I agree there isn’t much fighting anymore but there are still cheap shots . I disagree those two guys are any better than a sober Kassian at playing the game
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:34 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am Lord Benning is on thinner ice than Travis.
Lol you've been repeating this for years, it's obviously not true, time to wake up brother...
He got a two year extension + one year option @ ownerships discretion. His teams keep finishing in the toilet he will get the boot. Do you think Travis will get the hook in the next year or two?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am Elmer already used his fire the coach ticket. Not sure what Mickey Mouse expects from this roster.

Ignitowski is on thinner ice than Travis.
I don't think so.
It's not just the methodology Green and his "ah hem", staff used last year. Some of which I liked but some of it was rhetorical bull shit,
detrimental to development.
Another huge problem that will HAVE TO improve is from what I saw, very little, if any, scouting on the particular team we were playing
took place.
Ya can't progress to the next level of compete if you don't take the time to prepare for your opponent!
Ya ya, tank year, I know, W?E. He's done his kick ass routine now let's see if the coaching staff can put out what their entire job requires.
"evolution"