Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:51 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 am
But earlier you said Roussel anihilated Kassian.
He could have, he let up. Realized that Zack was under the influence
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:56 am

Really not seeing how getting a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick for taking on Winnipeg’s garbage of Mason and a 25 year old bust RFA in Armia is a good trade for Montreal. Not what I call great weaponizing your cap space. If that’s the returning rate for weaponizing your cap space don’t even bother, Jimbro
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:12 am
Players who can play in today’s NHL (not hurt your line up), is gritty, tough and a decent scrapper is becoming a scarce commodity.
I won't use the "T" word, but I think the only priority for the Canucks next year should be the development of their young players, and I think that in today's NHL (not the glorious NHL of the Future, for which Benning has drafted) that will require some willing and capable enforcers to help insure their safety. And insofar as the Canucks probably need at least one more very successful draft to complete the rebuild (or are all the pigments on the palette now ?), whether or not those enforcers hurt the team goal differential is not really relevant.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Players who can play in today’s NHL (not hurt your line up), is gritty, tough and a decent scrapper is becoming a scarce commodity.
I won't use the "T" word, but I think the only priority for the Canucks next year should be the development of their young players, and I think that in today's NHL (not the glorious NHL of the Future, for which Benning has drafted) that will require some willing and capable enforcers to help insure their safety. And insofar as the Canucks probably need at least one more very successful draft to complete the rebuild (or are all the pigments on the palette now ?), whether or not those enforcers hurt the team goal differential is not really relevant.
Yeah I’d be very surprised if Lindenning littered the lineup with journeymen reclamation projects instead of hotshot rookies. The gate has been taking a constant hit over the last few years. I’m sorry but your Jay Beagles are not going to put butts in your seats. The fans want to see Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette. We are going to be a lottery team again for 2019. Lose with the promise of the future

The 2019 draft is littered with high end forwards, if we can be in the running for Hughes, Newhook, Kakko, Dach, Krebs, Cozens I’ll be happy

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:23 am

Well if they do sign Beagle he’s got a great name. I wonder what type of dogs Canucks would be if they were dogs.

Horvat- Labrador
Gudbranson- St Bernard
Eriksson- Sheepdog
Tanev- Border Collie
Sutter- Standard Poodle
Ignitowski- Basset Hound with jet black fur
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:30 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah I’d be very surprised if Lindenning littered the lineup with journeymen reclamation projects instead of hotshot rookies.
How will your opinion of him/them "adjust" if he does just that?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:56 am
Really not seeing how getting a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick for taking on Winnipeg’s garbage of Mason and a 25 year old bust RFA in Armia is a good trade for Montreal. Not what I call great weaponizing your cap space. If that’s the returning rate for weaponizing your cap space don’t even bother, Jimbro
Word has it they're already working to flip Mason (retaining salary). Do you have high hopes for Simon Bourque?

Rumours indicate we're about to pay Roussel, who has a career high of 29 points, over $3M. How many points did Joel Armia get last year?

So two draft picks (maybe more, depending what Mason returns), a young depth forward, and a capable (if overpaid) goaltender, for a former 6th rounder that may be in the ECHL next year...This is exactly the type of trade Benning should be making.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am

I’m not fussed about paying 2.5 and 3 million to Roussel and Beaglet but I’m not crazy about the term. Maybe Elmer should sit on the sidelines for a couple days and see if he can perhaps sign a guy like Tommy Wingels, Kevin Wagner or Kyle Brodziak on a one or two year deal.

If he signs these guys that puts the Canucks at about 18-20 forwards vying for 13 spots. Something has to give and it looks like it could be another year of watching scabby veterans instead of promising kids.

Tyler Myers is going UFA next year and it’s a much better crop. Save the money for that and Boesers raise.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am

Habs buy out Mason.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 am

Sounds like Green is staying in Detroit.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am
Habs buy out Mason.
Weaponizing that cap space.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:56 am
Word has it they're already working to flip Mason (retaining salary). Do you have high hopes for Simon Bourque?

Rumours indicate we're about to pay Roussel, who has a career high of 29 points, over $3M. How many points did Joel Armia get last year?

So two draft picks (maybe more, depending what Mason returns), a young depth forward, and a capable (if overpaid) goaltender, for a former 6th rounder that may be in the ECHL next year...This is exactly the type of trade Benning should be making.
So comparing apples and oranges again, IN? Armia and Roussel are paid to do the exact same job? Sorry to say but Roussel does a better job at what he's paid to do than what Armia is supposed to be providing.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am
Hockey Widow wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am
Habs buy out Mason.
Weaponizing that cap space.
That's great if you have owner with deep pockets spending copious amounts of millions for a 4th and 7th round pick and a bust RFA in Armia. I fail to see this trade as being worth it unless you have an owner with deep pockets and somehow think that a 25 year old 16th overall RFA Finn is not a bust.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:25 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Yeah I’d be very surprised if Lindenning littered the lineup with journeymen reclamation projects instead of hotshot rookies. The gate has been taking a constant hit over the last few years. I’m sorry but your Jay Beagles are not going to put butts in your seats. The fans want to see Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette. We are going to be a lottery team again for 2019. Lose with the promise of the future

The 2019 draft is littered with high end forwards, if we can be in the running for Hughes, Newhook, Kakko, Dach, Krebs, Cozens I’ll be happy
Quite likely.

Trading one of Edler or Tanev for a 1st is paramount this year. Go into the draft as a lottery team, picking in the top 10 batting a miracle. If/WHEN we miss on the lottery trade both 1sts as the centrepiece for the 1st OA. Draft Jack Hughes in front of the hometown faithful.

And hey, if the stars multiverse aligns and we win the lottery then we have even better leverage in trade or more quality for the cupboard.

Alternatively, if Tavares goes to TO and Nostrakypreos is right and Nylander comes to the west coast for Tavev plus.....still find a way to trade Edler for a 1st on TDD.

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:27 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:51 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 am
But earlier you said Roussel anihilated Kassian.
He could have, he let up. Realized that Zack was under the influence
I'm no Kassian fan but doesn't seem like Roussel either let up or anihilated Kassian.