Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:48 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am That whole Philly thing seem to start with Clarke being a diabetic and a real shit at that; but he was always well protected.
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... Player=790
Anyone who was around then should look at this. Talk about a variation.
Stan Makita (Lady Bing).
Tiger Williams, goes without saying.
"evolution"
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:44 am Then again you look at the CHAMPIONS and they had skill mixed with bigger gritty players to support their players, why I'd like to trade for someone like Nick Ritchie, he can play a top 6 role and still be a heavyweight scrapper if needed, plus he fits the age group. Ducks need help on defense as they got a lot of holes to fill and they are heavy up front. Ducks/Canucks seem to get along well with each other in regards to trades, they got Kesler, Bieksa and then signed Miller.

- Ovie/Backstrom had Tom Wilson on their line & that worked perfectly.

- Crosby back when - had Kunitz (a punching bag, but at least he'll fight and not be a pussy and not stand/watch his mates get cheap shotted).

- Kings just had a crap load of size & beef in their lineup.

- Hawks had Carcillo and Shaw 2015, 2013 had Bollig and Bickell, but they've always had a decent mix of size and skill overall.

Canucks just need to trade for a big gritty top 6 LW to support their youngsters, I'd rather not overpay for someone like Reaves, he's at best a $1M player as he'll only play half the games probably, and he's definitely not worth anything over what his last contract was, at max he should be making is $1.5M per anything more than that and it's just ridiculous, I can imagine the hate JB would get from all of social media/media/beat writers/analytic nerds if he overpaid for Reaves.
So what are you willing to offer Anaheim for Nick Ritchie? You know they'll ask for Pettersen. You're not going to get him for peanuts.

Yeah, big gritty top six wingers grow on trees and the rest of the NHL teams are dying to offload them to the Canucks for next to nothing.

Who gives a fuck what the social media/media/beat writers/analytic nerds say? JB's job is to build a winning team. If Pettersen and Hughes make this team and get injured from dirty hits, those same people would criticize JB for not signing Reeves. If you sign Reeves and overpay, you're only giving up money when there's a lot of cap space right now. Not bodies or draft picks.

BTW Sid the Kid had Eric Goddard in the line up in 2008-2009.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I have a bad feeling Elmer is going to go buck wild this weekend.

Picturing 4.5 million per year over five years for Riley Nash

I think he will go hard after a guy like De Haan or White or Green and throw stupid money at them.

Stay the course Jet Black. One and two year deals. It might be nice if Aquilini takes the cheque book away for the first fe days of free agency and gives it back when the more expensive guys have already signed with other teams. This team does not need another Eriksson blunder..
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

mr perfect wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am Mick: If you're going to put out a small, fast skating team as it appears JB Elmer is building towards, you have to have a hammer to look after the skilled players. Gubransen isn't enough, especially when he's out injured for one half of the games he's been a Canuck. Have you forgotten the 2011 Stanley Cup final where the style of the refereeing favoured the Bruins? Do you trust Bettman, Campbell and the NHL braintrust? I certainly don't.

You've been around for awhile....while our esteemed NHL brass rules dirty plays on Canucks players as "hockey hits."
mr perfect wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 pm JB's job is to build a winning team. If Pettersen and Hughes make this team and get injured from dirty hits, those same people would criticize JB for not signing Reeves. If you sign Reeves and overpay, you're only giving up money when there's a lot of cap space right now. Not bodies or draft picks.
I agree with your analyses, with the single reservation that I would like to see the ownership/management group retain enough free cap space to take on a bad contract or two in exchange for more draft picks.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Saw Benning on Global news tonight. Sounds like no defensemen will be signed. He said they already have 8 with contracts plus Sautner, Juolevi might be ready and maybe Hughes signs.
He said they are looking for support players for the young skilled guys they have coming up.
He mentioned an energy player and a penalty killer. So maybe something like Reaves and Riley Nash??
He also said they are looking at opportunities to take a bad contract to acquire draft picks.
Sounds like no long, high salary contracts. We’ll see what happens.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

That is good news, no big silly contracts.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

While we all decide how Benning should spend in millions in cap space, does anyone remember that a lot of it needs to be notionally bookmarked for Mr Luongo in the event he retires prior to 2021?
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hank wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am I worry that with a Sutter/Beagle combo, that TG will start playing both 20 minutes a game each.

That doesn't help Gaudette and Pettersson when he's ready to shift over from wing.
Gaudettte and Pettersson are both big " ifs " to be effective centers. Right now we have only Sutter who has over 50% on faceoffs.
On the other hand Tom Wilson is listed as an RFA with arbitration rights.. A 6 '4" 24 year old tough SOB who can fight or stand in front of the opposition goal and score! If he is available ( yeah I'm dreaming ) he would my choice as protector of Boesser or the other flyweight kids .
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 am
Hank wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am I worry that with a Sutter/Beagle combo, that TG will start playing both 20 minutes a game each.

That doesn't help Gaudette and Pettersson when he's ready to shift over from wing.
Gaudettte and Pettersson are both big " ifs " to be effective centers. Right now we have only Sutter who has over 50% on faceoffs.
On the other hand Tom Wilson is listed as an RFA with arbitration rights.. A 6 '4" 24 year old tough SOB who can fight or stand in front of the opposition goal and score! If he is available ( yeah I'm dreaming ) he would my choice as protector of Boesser or the other flyweight kids .
Horvat was well over 50 % in the dot

Wilson would be nice but he’s a pipe dream unless you plan to give up next years 1st. We don’t have the assets
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mr perfect wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:44 am Then again you look at the CHAMPIONS and they had skill mixed with bigger gritty players to support their players, why I'd like to trade for someone like Nick Ritchie, he can play a top 6 role and still be a heavyweight scrapper if needed, plus he fits the age group. Ducks need help on defense as they got a lot of holes to fill and they are heavy up front. Ducks/Canucks seem to get along well with each other in regards to trades, they got Kesler, Bieksa and then signed Miller.
So what are you willing to offer Anaheim for Nick Ritchie? You know they'll ask for Pettersen. You're not going to get him for peanuts.

Yeah, big gritty top six wingers grow on trees and the rest of the NHL teams are dying to offload them to the Canucks for next to nothing.
It's a funny thing some on here say Ritchie's value isn't all that high since he only scored 10 goals and 14 goals prior, I'd offer one of the dmen and an affordable winger like Baertschi.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Winnipeg correspondent - Jeff Hamilton:
Some #Jets players are going to have to go – Steve Mason, Tyler Myers, Mathieu Perrault, Dimitry Kulikov are the names but really only Myers & Perrault have much value.

Something needs to give if they want to bring back Stastny.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 am
Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 am

Horvat was well over 50 % in the dot

Wilson would be nice but he’s a pipe dream unless you plan to give up next years 1st. We don’t have the assets
Well isn't this a situation where the "Genius" thing is supposed to kick-in, do his thing, strut his stuff, move mountains ?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

leaves if they land Tavares, Kypreo's said they gotta move Nylander due to cost, they can't have 4 forwards all making over $7M, and they really need that stable fluid defensive dman.
@RealKyper, asked about the chances William Nylander could be Vancouver-bound: "I think very good. You're going to have to flip one of those guys, we assume Nylander, for a defenseman. I think Chris Tanev would be a good starting point for a deal built around him."
cue an SL 'eh wot!?' just as I was envisioning a future of a Hughes - Tanev formidable pairing for the long haul, kyper drops that bombshell.
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm Saw Benning on Global news tonight. Sounds like no defensemen will be signed. He said they already have 8 with contracts plus Sautner, Juolevi might be ready and maybe Hughes signs.
He said they are looking for support players for the young skilled guys they have coming up.
He mentioned an energy player and a penalty killer. So maybe something like Reaves and Riley Nash??
He also said they are looking at opportunities to take a bad contract to acquire draft picks.
Sounds like no long, high salary contracts. We’ll see what happens.
8 under contract + prospects -- but that changes if there are trades.... I'd expect that deals for an overpaid guy with a draft pick coming back may involve one of the Canucks low paid, bottom pairing ceiling defensemen. Especially if Juolevi is going to get a shot.

I think you are absolutely correct about an interest in a player like Nash (who I think would be helpful); possibly Reaves (who I am relatively underwhelmed by).

I like the fact that they are looking for opportunities to acquire draft picks in exchange for bad contracts. The good move is to kill two birds with one stone; address both the energy/pk need at the same time as picking up a "bad contract," but from a player that can still play and (given cap space) doesn't need to be bought out. Far better to pick off an overpaid energy guy *and* get a pick then get one through FA for this type where the team pays market premium. (Though I am never adverse to post July 1 signings of guys that didn't get the moon during silly season, will take short term contracts, and can be dealt at the deadline).

Center really is a position up in the air for the Canucks. Horvat and Sutter are natural centers; then there are the players that have played there but aren't best there (Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce) and the prospects that probably won't be there (Pettersson) or could use some time in the AHL (I'd probably start Gaudette in the AHL for awhile and on a scoring line rather than protect his minutes in the NHL in a bottom six role). The point is, the Canucks can fill the position with duct tape and use Gagner and Granlund, or it can use free agency or trades.

I think we will have another NHL caliber center before the season begins.

(edited for clarity)
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am leaves if they land Tavares, Kypreo's said they gotta move Nylander due to cost, they can't have 4 forwards all making over $7M, and they really need that stable fluid defensive dman.
@RealKyper, asked about the chances William Nylander could be Vancouver-bound: "I think very good. You're going to have to flip one of those guys, we assume Nylander, for a defenseman. I think Chris Tanev would be a good starting point for a deal built around him."
cue an SL 'eh wot!?' just as I was envisioning a future of a Hughes - Tanev formidable pairing for the long haul, kyper drops that bombshell.
I am generally in the hold onto Tanev camp. But this would be worth exploring and it makes a lot of sense from the leaves perspective. With Nylander and without Tanev (and whatever else it might take), the Canucks certainly would have that Edmonton-young-forwards-no-D thing going on. But it solves the center problem giving the Canucks a decent 1-2 possibly for years. It put extraordinary weight on what happens with Tryamkin/Hughes/Juolevi. But if the Canucks come up aces there, it would be a real contender soon...
Hono_rary Canadian