Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 am
Reaves will cash in. He was just moved for a 1st round pick. Whoever lands him will be overpaying
There's been a lot of drooling over Reaves on this board, but Pitt gave up a 1st for him, then traded him away for a 4th and a C-level prospect.

He scored Vegas' only GWG in the Finals, but was a healthy scratch by the end of the series.

He's 31 and likely looking for his final contract. If he gets some no-trade protection after being traded twice in a year, he can probably be had for $2 mil x 3 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

First off, Reaves is right wing and has almost zero offensive numbers. Like we're talkin oops, the puck must have deflected off me.
Hey; I love tough ass hockey. A good fight is a good thing. Great to see team-mates stick up for each other and sure; An enforcer type.
Could this be over doing it a bit?
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fi ... px?P=13902

Holy crap!!!! (Derick Dorsette beet him once).
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 am
Reaves will cash in. He was just moved for a 1st round pick. Whoever lands him will be overpaying
There's been a lot of drooling over Reaves on this board, but Pitt gave up a 1st for him, then traded him away for a 4th and a C-level prospect.

He scored Vegas' only GWG in the Finals, but was a healthy scratch by the end of the series.

He's 31 and likely looking for his final contract. If he gets some no-trade protection after being traded twice in a year, he can probably be had for $2 mil x 3 years.
I was thinking those kind of numbers. Maybe 2.5m x 3. Anything more, I would be hesitant with.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:13 am You gotta see what you have in these young wingers.

Baerschi, Granlund, Lipstick and Goldy need to sink or swim
Add Brendan Gaunce and Tyler Motte to that list as well. These two have to show that in addition to being bottom line wingers who kill penalties they must be able to score goals in the double digit figures too. Otherwise they are useless.

Don't be surprised if Baertschi is moved. He's eligible for salary arbitration. I have a feeling his player agent is going try for a home run and get a Gagner type contract for SB. Still, leave room in case Pettersen, Lind, Jasek and Palmu show they're for real.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Bo can live without Baer.

No home runs to be had in this park.

I hope.
"evolution"
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 am First off, Reaves is right wing and has almost zero offensive numbers. Like we're talkin oops, the puck must have deflected off me.
Hey; I love tough ass hockey. A good fight is a good thing. Great to see team-mates stick up for each other and sure; An enforcer type.

Mick: If you're going to put out a small, fast skating team as it appears JB Elmer is building towards, you have to have a hammer to look after the skilled players. Gubransen isn't enough, especially when he's out injured for one half of the games he's been a Canuck. Have you forgotten the 2011 Stanley Cup final where the style of the refereeing favoured the Bruins? Do you trust Bettman, Campbell and the NHL braintrust? I certainly don't.

You've been around for awhile. You must remember Sam Pollock found out for the Canadiens small forwards like Henri Richard, Cournoyer and Rousseau to be effective, he had to have John Ferguson and Ted Harris to watch out for them. Later he had Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw and Larry Robinson on that late '70s Canadiens dynasty to counter the Broad Street Bullies and the Brawling Bruins. Reaves might not be a scoring forward but he can take a regular shift on the 4th line and not hurt the team. I'd still add Antoine Roussel as well as Reaves, it would give the kids a chance not to have their heads taken off by cheap shots while our esteemed NHL brass rules dirty plays on Canucks players as "hockey hits."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

mr perfect wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am I'd still add Antoine Roussel as well as Reaves, it would give the kids a chance not to have their heads taken off by cheap shots while our esteemed NHL brass rules dirty plays on Canucks players as "hockey hits."
I agree on Roussel - if you're getting tweener forwards, I think the focus should be on toughness, and let the focus of drafting be skill.
micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 am First off, Reaves is right wing and has almost zero offensive numbers. Like we're talkin oops, the puck must have deflected off me.

I had to watch that Dorsett fight after seeing the numbers - 39 punches thrown! Talk about a slugfest - but Reaves really slows down in a hurry, he clearly didn't have the cardio at that age to go the distance.

Funny too that he totally stopped fighting once he got to Vegas. I wonder how Gallant managed that.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 am (Derick Dorsette beet him once).
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

mr perfect wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am

Mick: If you're going to put out a small, fast skating team as it appears JB Elmer is building towards, you have to have a hammer to look after the skilled players. Gubransen isn't enough, especially when he's out injured for one half of the games he's been a Canuck. Have you forgotten the 2011 Stanley Cup final where the style of the refereeing favoured the Bruins? Do you trust Bettman, Campbell and the NHL braintrust? I certainly don't.

You've been around for awhile. You must remember Sam Pollock found out for the Canadiens small forwards like Henri Richard, Cournoyer and Rousseau to be effective, he had to have John Ferguson and Ted Harris to watch out for them. Later he had Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw and Larry Robinson on that late '70s Canadiens dynasty to counter the Broad Street Bullies and the Brawling Bruins. Reaves might not be a scoring forward but he can take a regular shift on the 4th line and not hurt the team. I'd still add Antoine Roussel as well as Reaves, it would give the kids a chance not to have their heads taken off by cheap shots while our esteemed NHL brass rules dirty plays on Canucks players as "hockey hits."
That's real far back, even for me. I remember the 70s Habs, mind you, Pollock could simply do, (and buy), whatever he wanted.
Broad Street bullies would never work today. That whole Philly thing seem to start with Clarke being a diabetic and a real shit at that; but he was always well protected. That team was nuts. Most of it is censored but there are still some clips of the Flyers players climbing up in to the
stands at the Coliseum after Canuck fans,

I do get what your saying and maybe Reaves would work for the Canucks but wouldn't it be tough to line-match, particularly on the road?

I suppose some of what he brings could rub off and I'd be in favor of that.
I like the theory of "team toughness".
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Then again you look at the CHAMPIONS and they had skill mixed with bigger gritty players to support their players, why I'd like to trade for someone like Nick Ritchie, he can play a top 6 role and still be a heavyweight scrapper if needed, plus he fits the age group. Ducks need help on defense as they got a lot of holes to fill and they are heavy up front. Ducks/Canucks seem to get along well with each other in regards to trades, they got Kesler, Bieksa and then signed Miller.

- Ovie/Backstrom had Tom Wilson on their line & that worked perfectly.

- Crosby back when - had Kunitz (a punching bag, but at least he'll fight and not be a pussy and not stand/watch his mates get cheap shotted).

- Kings just had a crap load of size & beef in their lineup.

- Hawks had Carcillo and Shaw 2015, 2013 had Bollig and Bickell, but they've always had a decent mix of size and skill overall.

Canucks just need to trade for a big gritty top 6 LW to support their youngsters, I'd rather not overpay for someone like Reaves, he's at best a $1M player as he'll only play half the games probably, and he's definitely not worth anything over what his last contract was, at max he should be making is $1.5M per anything more than that and it's just ridiculous, I can imagine the hate JB would get from all of social media/media/beat writers/analytic nerds if he overpaid for Reaves.
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I think Valtteri Filppula would be a good short-term center solution. Give him a 1-year Vanek-like contract and move him to a contender at the TDD.

I really like Jay Beagle... if we didn't already have Sutter. Mark Letestu might also be good as a depth center.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am That whole Philly thing seem to start with Clarke being a diabetic and a real shit at that; but he was always well protected.
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightC ... Player=790
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hank wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:45 am I think Valtteri Filppula would be a good short-term center solution. Give him a 1-year Vanek-like contract and move him to a contender at the TDD.

I really like Jay Beagle... if we didn't already have Sutter. Mark Letestu might also be good as a depth center.
Well Sutter went down to injury last season and the team's penalty kill went to shit, it's good to have a couple elite shutdown centers in the rebuild stage to support the youthful scorers up front.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I worry that with a Sutter/Beagle combo, that TG will start playing both 20 minutes a game each.

That doesn't help Gaudette and Pettersson when he's ready to shift over from wing.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am I worry that with a Sutter/Beagle combo, that TG will start playing both 20 minutes a game each.

That doesn't help Gaudette and Pettersson when he's ready to shift over from wing.
Don’t assume both, or either, of Gaudette or Pettersson will be on the Canucks, at least to start the season.

I thought Gaudette had a good showing in his look see. But he also looked liked he might benefit from time in Utica. And Pettersson, well we just have to wait and see what he shows in camp. I’ll reserve judgment until then.

But remember, I said last year Boeser wasn’t ready :eh:
The only HW the Canucks need