Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by rats19 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Sometimes we try too hard... :mex:
You are who you hang with.....

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Ya probably lol. Too weird?
nobody forks...with the jesus

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:29 pm

lolol gonna need to head down to the Regal Beagle after that crazy one.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Ya probably lol. Too weird?
Nah. That was.....gold..... :look:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

Remember that Flames - Leafs trade way back where the leafs sent 4 depth players for Phaneuf, I think Benning has built up a lot of depth now (yes not elite depth), but depth regardless and I think he may want to swing a big player swap before training camp.
Jan. 2010
CALGARY - Looking to add depth and scoring punch to the Calgary Flames, general manager Darryl Sutter swung a seven-player deal Sunday morning with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

To acquire forwards Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Matt Stajan along with defenceman Ian White, Sutter had to pay a high price by shipping blue-liner Dion Phaneuf to Toronto along with forward Freddie Sjostrom and defensive prospect Keith Aulie.

"There is a gap in our team in terms of productive forwards," said Sutter, whose squad broke out of a nine-game losing streak on Saturday night with a 6-1 win at home over the Edmonton Oilers. "The guys coming in are all having good years, so that's what you want for them to continue it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-trade-p ... l/c-515736
I don't have the energy to see what team needs to shore up their team with some depth players who have NHL experience, but I'd love to make roster space up front and defense for our younger players.

For example, shipping utility guy Markus Granlund, powerplay depth center Sam Gagner, needs a change of scenery Ben Hutton and right shot guy with upside Troy Stecher for a bigger right side dman who has a cannon of a shot would be ideal.

Every GM has one mega trade in their career, and that time could be coming soon for mr Jim Benning who has built up enough depth to pull off a big deal just in time for Pettersson and Hughes arrival on the Canucks squad, so lets start their NHL Canuck careers surrounded with the right amount of talent, size, skill, grit etc.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 pm

SKYO wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am
Remember that Flames - Leafs trade way back where the leafs sent 4 depth players for Phaneuf, I think Benning has built up a lot of depth now (yes not elite depth), but depth regardless and I think he may want to swing a big player swap before training camp.
Jan. 2010
CALGARY - Looking to add depth and scoring punch to the Calgary Flames, general manager Darryl Sutter swung a seven-player deal Sunday morning with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

To acquire forwards Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Matt Stajan along with defenceman Ian White, Sutter had to pay a high price by shipping blue-liner Dion Phaneuf to Toronto along with forward Freddie Sjostrom and defensive prospect Keith Aulie.

"There is a gap in our team in terms of productive forwards," said Sutter, whose squad broke out of a nine-game losing streak on Saturday night with a 6-1 win at home over the Edmonton Oilers. "The guys coming in are all having good years, so that's what you want for them to continue it."

I don't have the energy to see what team needs to shore up their team with some depth players who have NHL experience, but I'd love to make roster space up front and defense for our younger players.

For example, shipping utility guy Markus Granlund, powerplay depth center Sam Gagner, needs a change of scenery Ben Hutton and right shot guy with upside Troy Stecher for a bigger right side dman who has a cannon of a shot would be ideal.

Every GM has one mega trade in their career, and that time could be coming soon for mr Jim Benning who has built up enough depth to pull off a big deal just in time for Pettersson and Hughes arrival on the Canucks squad, so lets start their NHL Canuck careers surrounded with the right amount of talent, size, skill, grit etc.
Two comments:

(1) The italicized part of the article should have stated as follows: "Looking to rid themselves of a locker room cancer whose play has remarkably declined commensurate with his unwillingness to take instruction, GM Darryl Sutter swung a 7-player deal ending weeks of speculation that Dion Phaneuf's time with the Flames has expired."

(2) The Flames, at the time, had made the playoffs for 5 consecutive seasons. But the team was stale. Not terrible, but not good enough to mount any kind of a run. They were firmly ensconced as a second class team behind the post-WCE Canucks (who, BTW, successfully transitioned (not a total rebuild) on the backs of 4 WCE-era (or pre-WCE era) draft picks (Sedins, Kesler, and Edler), one superstar trade (Bert for Luongo), and a halfway decent coach who gets little credit).

Phaneuf was still an asset, but the Flames refused to deal him to rebuild. By not getting any decent prospects for Phaneuf -- actually, *sending* a prospect and a marginal vert NHLer to Leafs in exchange for four okay-but-nothing-special NHLers (Hagman, Stajan, Mayers, and Ian White) -- the Flames instead declared their commitment to continued mediocrity and "we will worry about next season next season" instead of planning for the future.

And how did depth for (arguable) talent work for the Flames? They missed the playoffs for five straight seasons and probably delayed their decision t to commit to the future by 2 or 3 years. The two times they've made the playoffs since has been with the kids post-the-inevitable rebuild.

Of course, your proposal is the Canucks land the best player in the deal as opposed to rid themselves of him. Though how did it all work out for the Leafs? Well, with a #1 defenseman *cough* joined by a top flight forward the next season (Kessel), the Leafs missed the playoffs 5 of the next 6 years and deluded themselves into thinking they had some talent on the back end. Perhaps they would have been better off turning those 4 decent-but-not-team-shaping players into deadline deals for picks or prospects. The next season White would return a 2d rounder at the deadline. Its hard to believe this now, but Stajan's return would have been similar. Hagman might have been the best player of the bunch at the time of the trade, but collapsed in Calgary. Still, a 2d rounder wouldn't have been out of the question. Every team wants *grit* at the deadline -- even Mayers would have brought back a 4th -- maybe even a 3d.

Its not that I object to a depth for talent trade in principal -- but don't forget that Phaneuf was quality + cancer. The question is what's the best use for the depth? Last season it was to let prospects marinate where they should be, and not in the Canucks. Just like it is this season.
Hono_rary Canadian

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Such an astute reply, salute there UW for the well informed facts especially the cancer part on the team ha.

In any case not sure there is such a player like Phaneuf (cancer etc) avail at this time.

- -

But I turn my attention to a one restricted free agent Ryan Pulock now stuck under the Lamoreillo regime a well know cheapskate, I wonder if there's a shot at acquiring him via trade?
Pulock is 23 years old, and had a breakout first full season at the NHL level. The former AHL All-Star had 10 goals and 22 assists in 68 games with the Islanders this year. He had 16 NHL games the previous two seasons combined. He capped off his year by representing Team Canada at the 2018 World Hockey Championship.

He also has a booming shot, skating ability, and was one of the bright spots on the Islanders defence this season. A first-round pick in 2013, he brings physicality with his 6’2”, 214-pound frame.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018 ... pacioretty
That article also mentions the Habs bigger need is a left side dman, maybe the Canucks could trade em Ben Hutton.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

SKYO wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am
Jan. 2010

I would be shocked if they couldn’t acquire a Parayko, Seth Jones or hell.... even Karlsson for that stellar package
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

I would be shocked if they couldn’t acquire a Parayko, Seth Jones or hell.... even Karlsson for that stellar package
Yuk yuk yuk.

I think the depth guys could be moved for an actual comparable to 2010-Phaneuf - potentially-stud defenceman, with significant warts on a not-great contract.

Think a Bouwmeester, Seabrook, Boychuk type.

Though the guy that is probably the best target is Schultz, if his play drops off and/or Penguins hit cap trouble, their $5.5 million 2nd-pairing D might be available.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am

ESQ wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Yuk yuk yuk.

I think the depth guys could be moved for an actual comparable to 2010-Phaneuf - potentially-stud defenceman, with significant warts on a not-great contract.

Think a Bouwmeester, Seabrook, Boychuk type.

Though the guy that is probably the best target is Schultz, if his play drops off and/or Penguins hit cap trouble, their $5.5 million 2nd-pairing D might be available.
Schultz, if possible, would be a great acquisition for Van. He has been thru the ringer and rallied.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=113177
Take a boo at the +/- in Edmonton then how he turned things around with the Pens. Impressive!
Now to me, this guy at still just 28, could offer some major wisdom.
And he'd kinda be coming home too.

But like you say, if and or.
"evolution"

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm

We've got a trade to announce... a real one, not a SKYO production :mrgreen:

To Arizona:

Marian Hossa
Vincent Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Third-round pick (2019)

To Chicago:

Marcus Kruger
MacKenzie Entwistle
Jordan Maletta
Andrew Campbell
Fifth-round pick (2019)
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I think only the Redwings and Wild would maybe like to dump some cap space now.

Wings can be over the cap for now after they pay Larkin his big payday, then put whats his face on LTIR when the season starts, but maybe they'd like move some cap.

Wild still gotta pay big bucks to Zucker and Dumba, maybe there could be a possible trade with that team so they can free up a bit of cap.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Hank wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm

To Arizona:

Marian Hossa
Vincent Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Third-round pick (2019)

To Chicago:

Marcus Kruger
MacKenzie Entwistle
Jordan Maletta
Andrew Campbell
Fifth-round pick (2019)
Good reason why you keep cap space when you are rebuilding.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm
Hank wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm

To Arizona:

Marian Hossa
Vincent Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Third-round pick (2019)

To Chicago:

Marcus Kruger
MacKenzie Entwistle
Jordan Maletta
Andrew Campbell
Fifth-round pick (2019)
Good reason why you keep cap space when you are rebuilding.
While I’m all for using excess cap space, I’m not sure I would do this deal from a Phoenix perspective. Hossa’s contract is dead money as we all know, but I wasn’t a big fan of Hinostroza when I watched him last year. Oesterle is a depth guy and upgrading to a 3rd from a 5th is decent I guess.

In return Kruger was better on the Hawks than he was in AZ, while the rest of them are likely AHL depth. It’s basically Hossa, Hinostroza and a 3rd for Kruger and a 5th. I’m not sure there’s enough value there to take on 3 more years of Hossa’s deal. If that’s the return I’d rather keep my powder dry.