Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Mickey107 »

Wild Shopping Charlie Coyle
According to Michael Russo of The Athletic, the Minnesota Wild are shopping forward Charlie Coyle who has 13 points through 29 games. Russo notes that three Atlantic Division teams are believed to have shown some level of interest in Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa.

Be a nice replacement for Sutter but his contract expires this year and of course; What would they want.
Probably not for us...
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:54 pm Who's spot does JT take? Sutters? Gaudette's? Beagle/Schaller? What's the point?
JT has been a fairly consistent 50+ point forward, playing center and both wings. He's having a career year, but the team is an offensive behemoth.

I could see him taking Baertschi's spot, putting Roussel back on the 3rd line. But I have no idea what the asking price would be, unless it was a late pick and a B prospect like Dahlen, I doubt we're interested.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rep ... XutegVT7NQ

Eriksson + Gagner
for
Lucic + (Oil retain some salary, say $5M)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rep ... XutegVT7NQ

Eriksson + Gagner
for
Lucic + (Oil retain some salary, say $5M)
FFS Todd, as it clearly states, that article stems from Friedman's 31 Thoughts...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... etrangelo/

... wherein Lucic states he now wants to remain an Oiler.
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

I wish the NHL would allow cap relief on traded players - would help out a lot of teams and increase trade activity making it more exciting for fans.

Here's an idea..if a team (Club B) acquires a player from Club A, then that player's cap hit would be re-calculated based on salary remaining / original term. He would still get paid his full salary owed, but the team would get cap relief making players easier to move and possibly driving the price up.

Example:

Player signs a 7 year $49 mil contract. After 4 years, he has been paid out $31 mil of that.

If he gets traded, the team acquiring him would have to pay out $18 mil remaining over the 3 year, but his cap hit would go to 2.57 mil ($18 mil / original 7 years)

Team A gets a $7 mil cap off their books, and Team B gets a player for a cap hit more inline with what he's probably worth.

Each team can carry a maximum of one of these contracts on their roster.

Take Loui Eriksson as an example, if he's traded at the end of this season, the team who acquires him can get him at a $2.16 cap hit - which is excellent value for what he brings. The Canucks free up $6 mil which is excellent for them.

In the same scenario, Bobby Ryan's contract would be a 3.2 cap hit allowing Ottawa to free up 7.25 from the books.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

vic wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 am I wish the NHL would allow cap relief on traded players - would help out a lot of teams and increase trade activity making it more exciting for fans.

Here's an idea..if a team (Club B) acquires a player from Club A, then that player's cap hit would be re-calculated based on salary remaining / original term. He would still get paid his full salary owed, but the team would get cap relief making players easier to move and possibly driving the price up.

Example:

Player signs a 7 year $49 mil contract. After 4 years, he has been paid out $31 mil of that.

If he gets traded, the team acquiring him would have to pay out $18 mil remaining over the 3 year, but his cap hit would go to 2.57 mil ($18 mil / original 7 years)

Team A gets a $7 mil cap off their books, and Team B gets a player for a cap hit more inline with what he's probably worth.

Take Loui Eriksson as an example, if he's traded at the end of this season, the team who acquires him can get him at a $2.16 cap hit - which is excellent value for what he brings. The Canucks free up $6 mil which is excellent for them.

In the same scenario, Bobby Ryan's contract would be a 3.2 cap hit allowing Ottawa to free up 7.25 from the books.
and here I thought front loaded contracts were only to give a player a headstart in life, get a house and what ever other laughable feel good shit was being espoused a few years ago
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 am I wish the NHL would allow cap relief on traded players - would help out a lot of teams and increase trade activity making it more exciting for fans.

Example:

Great idea but Bettman would never go for it. It would lead to all sorts of cap circumvention. Teams in cap hell could work out deals that would end up with them getting the same player traded back at the reduced cap hit. Ya the league could enact measures to prevent that but there are so many ways for that to get abused.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis could have drafted Charlie Coyle instead of trading two 1st round picks (Grabner and a 1st round pick) a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick (Bernier) for Keith Buyout Ballard. Remember Blob getting mad at Giggles for ruining Ballard?

Never mind Coyle, Gillis could have drafted kuznetsov had he not traded for Ballard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 am Gillis could have drafted Charlie Coyle instead of trading two 1st round picks (Grabner and a 1st round pick) a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick (Bernier) for Keith Buyout Ballard. Remember Blob getting mad at Giggles for ruining Ballard?

Never mind Coyle, Gillis could have drafted kuznetsov had he not traded for Ballard
No hip checks?
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Okay, where's Skyo?
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 am
mr perfect wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm There is one thing most are forgetting here about rebuilding the defence. There most certainly will be an expansion draft in 2020 with Seattle all but confirmed to have been given a team. If the same rules hold for the next expansion draft, then each team will be allowed to protect three D-men with 3 years pro experience. Which means Hughes, Juolevi and possibly Tryamkin won't be eligible for the draft. There will be however, many good veteran D-men around the NHL teams won't be able to protect. A genius GM would be aware of this and position himself to take advantage. Example: Nashville has four D-men in their mid to late 20s with their captain and best blue liner Roman Jossi coming up to UFA in 2020. Do they let him go or do they sign him to a large contract and deal the $9 million dollar man, P.K.Subban, who'll be 31 years old with 2 years left on his deal? The upcoming expansion draft also favours the Canucks when dealing with Edler as UFA if there are plans to bring him back. No way does any team outside the Canucks give Mr. Edler a no trade clause as a UFA signing and judging by his refusal to waive his NTC now, that is important to him. Interesting times are coming up in 2019.
Ntc don’t need to be protected it’s nmc that do, and teams aren’t gonna be selling top 4 dmen for pennies on the dollar just because of the expansion draft.
When I posted this I did so on the assumption the draft was going to be one season earlier that it is. I also have been in Spain for November and have been back for 12 days so I'm late in answering this but I will.

I never suggested getting an NHL d-man for pennies on the dollar, the Canucks would have had to give up something substantial. I mentioned Subban because there were posters here who wanted to trade Bo Horvat for Subban while he was with the Canadiens. Nashville eventually is going to have to do something with their defensive situation and while Skyo is correct in that the Preds could protect 4 D-men, they are also going to have to address their forward position where I think they would want to/have to protect 6 forwards. Losing a thirty something D-man who makes $9 mil per season when they have young Dante Fabbro in the wings might be acceptable to them if they could get say a 2nd rounder and a prospect (Jack Rathbone possibly) rather than losing said D-man for nothing to an expansion team. The thinking was a future Canucks D could have been Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Subban in the top 4, which is considerably better than the current top 4 on Vancouver. It's a moot point now because with the draft in 2021, Vancouver will have to protect all of Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin if they develop as planned and Groot sees the light to return to the NHL. Or maybe not if there are only 4 forwards worth protecting, or Groot's rights gets moved by the Canucks.

There are also other teams who are going to be in a jam with veteran defensemen available to to protection problems and NMC. Pittsburgh is another team that comes to mind.

2011 Stanley Cup champions Boston Bruins acquired all their 6 starting defence by trade or free agency between 2006 and trade deadline 2011. JB was there, why can't he try doing the same here?

The Edler situation - AE himself values staying put and not being moved as per his refusal to wave his NTC. With the expansion draft now in 2021 and other than Karlsson no good FA defensemen on the market, with the imminent departure of Del Zotto and Pouliot, the Canucks should be able to extend Edler for 2 more seasons at decent terms and let him keep his NTC. This way he could mentor Hughes and Juolevi who are both going to be on the Canucks roster next season. Then with his contract expiring at the expansion draft it is less likely Seattle takes him and if he has anything left in the tank the Canucks could resign him again and he finishes his career as a Canuck. No other team will offer him that.

Dk Stroker, with you pointing out NTC can't be protected in an expansion draft, it shows where Benning was negligent in improving the team in 2017. He could have leaned on Edler to wave his NTC at trade deadline 2017 by telling him he wouldn't protect Edler at the expansion draft, the way he leaned on Bieksa and Garrison to wave their agreements. JB could also have done more to try to get Marchessault from Florida and possibly left Brandon Sutter available for the draft to make room for Marchessault's salary. Imagine if the Canucks has JM with this group of young forwards right now.

Discuss.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JM would be a beast on Petterssons wing. Man.

Anyone else thinking about how well Panarin would slot onto EPs left wing? Hes coming up available as a UFA and could potentially help form a dominant as fuck top line with the development of goldobin.

The bread man
If you need air...call it in
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 am Gillis could have drafted Charlie Coyle instead of trading two 1st round picks (Grabner and a 1st round pick) a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick (Bernier) for Keith Buyout Ballard. Remember Blob getting mad at Giggles for ruining Ballard?

Maybe Gillis should have done more to be Canucks GM in 1983, had them tank so the Canucks could have drafted Mario Lemieux. And you bitch at Blob constantly over the Tkaczuk/Juolevi thing.

I get what Gillis did in moving do nothing Grabner and a late 1st for Ballard. Gillis was trying to build a team to defeat the Chicago Blackhawks and the last team to do that was the Detroit Red Wings with a mobile, puck moving defence. It worked right up to the Stanley Cup final where once again, the refereeing standards changed. Gillis's drafting record is what got him fired in the end but up to that point his other acquisitions plus him telling Vigneault to stop playing trap hockey contributed to the Canucks having a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Had your hero Dave Nonis continued his GM reign, he was going to trade his 2008 first rounder for Mike Cammalieri and sign Brunnstrom. Plus Vigneault would have continued feuding with his veteran players under Nonis. See Toronto and Randy Carlyle under Nonis. In other words, no success ever under Nonis.

The past is the past. Nonis isn't here, neither is Gillis. Try to fucking keep up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm Dk Stroker, with you pointing out NTC can't be protected in an expansion draft, it shows where Benning was negligent in improving the team in 2017. He could have leaned on Edler to wave his NTC at trade deadline 2017 by telling him he wouldn't protect Edler at the expansion draft, the way he leaned on Bieksa and Garrison to wave their agreements.

mr perfect wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm JB could also have done more to try to get Marchessault from Florida...
Do we know how much JB did to try to get Marchessault from Florida? :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm
mr perfect wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm Dk Stroker, with you pointing out NTC can't be protected in an expansion draft, it shows where Benning was negligent in improving the team in 2017. He could have leaned on Edler to wave his NTC at trade deadline 2017 by telling him he wouldn't protect Edler at the expansion draft, the way he leaned on Bieksa and Garrison to wave their agreements.

mr perfect wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm JB could also have done more to try to get Marchessault from Florida...
Do we know how much JB did to try to get Marchessault from Florida? :)
Y'know Doc, I don't have an inside to the inner workings of the Canucks like HW does, I do know people who have worked for the Aqua family and I have not met but have chatted with online some one who is involved with the TML (gasp! :shock: ) organization. Can't tell you more on that angle because I don't want to break confidentiality (because of it I laugh at some of Tuna's BS knowing what I know). I do know human nature and I'm sure FLA regrets giving away JM for nothing. I've been patient in my criticism of Benning. He's done good thing for this team, his record isn't clean. Every GM is going to make mistakes, it's how they deal with their mistakes is how I judge them. If this team makes the playoffs in 2020 and becomes a Stanley Cup contender then he is a success. I'm not in your camp. I'm not in Blob's camp. Benning has been around long enough to be judged for his body of work. It would be nice if he could clarify whether he make an attempt to acquire JM.