Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Demko looking better every game. Thats a tougher call than i would've thought it would be 4 months ago
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Loui Eriksson shall be traded for Karl Alzner.

Loui will waive to play under a better coach for him in former Bruins bench boss Claude Julien, the coach who got him to 30 goals.

Alzner will take a load off for Edler and Tanev in terms of blocked shots, enabling them to be healthier longer as Travis over plays them and they lead the team in blocked shots.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:21 pm Canucks trade chips next season

- Sutter
- One of Demko/Markstrom - Expansion Draft
- Hutton
- One of Tanev/Edler
- Virtanen if we draft a forward with 2019 1st
- Granlund for whatever
- Eriksson - anything
Lol Granlund, Sutter and Louis are negative value
Not much value playing either. Granlund has some. We'' have to retain some on LE to move him but I think you have to
for the moral of the team next year.
Sutter? I hope like hell they figure something out but I doubt we see it. Too bad cause I don't consider him a team leader at all. Yuck.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 pm Loui Eriksson shall be traded for Karl Alzner.

Loui will waive to play under a better coach for him in former Bruins bench boss Claude Julien, the coach who got him to 30 goals.

Alzner will take a load off for Edler and Tanev in terms of blocked shots, enabling them to be healthier longer as Travis over plays them and they lead the team in blocked shots.
Alzner has trouble keeping up, but this is the kind of junk-for-junk trade we’d be looking at. But with the way Schenn has played, I might prefer to keep him (and no way you’d want both him and KA slothing around the same back-end).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 pm Loui Eriksson shall be traded for Karl Alzner.

Alzner has trouble keeping up, but this is the kind of junk-for-junk trade we’d be looking at. But with the way Schenn has played, I might prefer to keep him (and no way you’d want both him and KA slothing around the same back-end).
Schenn had an awesome game last night, but he's not a deal breaker here, I think moving a roster spot up front with a $6M cap might be of better use.
I see Hutton+ traded for a top 6 forward.

See if we snag Oliwer Kaski from Finnish Liiga, if not go for gold EK.

edler - karlsson
hughes - tanev
alzner - stecher

This fits a Cup championship defense strategy.
#1 dman - EK
2nd QB - Hughes
2 - two-way dmen in Edler and Stecher
2 - defensive dmen - Tanev, Alzner

or
edler - stecher
hughes - tanev
alzner - kaski

roll-of-the-dice hoping kaski can produce + cheaper cap.

depth - teves, juolevi, biega, sautner, brisebois, chatfield.

I just want alzner to do all the blocked shots, to help keep edler & tanev healthier longer in the season with some time management/games off here & there, that in itself could be worth gold in the long run, because over working Edler and Tanev as we've seen = injuries all year long & the eventual demise of the season.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Somehow try and offload:

Spooner: 3.1
Eriksson: 6
Sutter: 4.37
Schaller: 1.9

Sign Karlsson and Panarin 10 mil each, give Edler 7 mil per for 2 years:

Boeser (7) - Pettersson (1) - Leivo (3.5)
Panarin (10) - Horvat (5.5) - Baertschi (3.36)
Pearson (3.75) - Gaudette (0.916) - Virtanen (1.25)
McKewan (1) - Beagle (3) - Motte (1.5)

Edler (7) - Karlsson (10)
Tanev (4.45) - Hughes (1)
Stecher (2.35) - Brisbois (0.697)

Markstrom (3.6)
Demko (1.75)
Luongo (.800)

Cap Hit: 73.4 Mil

By the time Pettersson and Hughes are up for their raises:

Edler (7), Tanev (4.45), Pearson (3.75) and Baertschi (3.6) are off the books (18.8 Mil) and room is made for Benning's next waive of picks to take over.

Seattle Expansion Protection 7 F, 3D, 1G

Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, Panarin, Gaudette, Virtanen, pickem
Karlsson - Stecher - Brisbois
Demko
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chris Tanev games played;

16/17---53
17/18---42
18/19---55

If I was a GM, I could not accept this because it would make my job of giving my coach two reliable parings
for an entire season. There is no winning this situation.

IMO, Benning must move Tanev while he still has value. There will come a time, (very soon), that will not be possible.
Good guy, always gives it, unassuming, but these are the tough calls that have to happen.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 am

Schenn had an awesome game last night, but he's not a deal breaker here, I think moving a roster spot up front with a $6M cap might be of better use.
I see Hutton+ traded for a top 6 forward.

See if we snag Oliwer Kaski from Finnish Liiga, if not go for gold EK.

edler - karlsson
hughes - tanev
alzner - stecher

This fits a Cup championship defense strategy.
#1 dman - EK
2nd QB - Hughes
2 - two-way dmen in Edler and Stecher
2 - defensive dmen - Tanev, Alzner

or
edler - stecher
hughes - tanev
alzner - kaski

roll-of-the-dice hoping kaski can produce + cheaper cap.

depth - teves, juolevi, biega, sautner, brisebois, chatfield.

I just want alzner to do all the blocked shots, to help keep edler & tanev healthier longer in the season with some time management/games off here & there, that in itself could be worth gold in the long run, because over working Edler and Tanev as we've seen = injuries all year long & the eventual demise of the season.
Alzner is a terrible player. There’s a reason he cleared waivers. Schenn at one year and one million is WAY BRYTER then Alzner. Horrible idea
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:38 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am Loui Eriksson shall be traded for Karl Alzner.
Alzner is a terrible player. There’s a reason he cleared waivers. Schenn at one year and one million is WAY BRYTER then Alzner. Horrible idea
If $6M Loui were on waivers he'd probably clear as well due to his cap hit just like Alzner.

And bruh it's just Travis Green horrendous use of Loui, using him solely as a checker, he gave him a brief stint with Horvat and he started scoring.

But as you know a lot of coaches get stubborn with their set ways, and back to checking he goes, if Loui is fine collecting checks he'll stay, but he if wants more of an opportunity to score, he and his agent should look to get traded.

Plus I guess the Dallas Stars was kicking tires on trading for Alzner at the TDD. (via David Pagnotta from The Fourth Period).

In any case Alzner's contract is at least $4.625M per, $1.375M cheaper than Loui --> every mill counts when you are going big game hunting come July 1st.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Oh no doubt you’ll likely have to eat a garbage contract back for Eriksson or Sutter. But maybe try and bully him into retiring by threatening to send him to Utica next season.

Loui has had quite a few opportunities in the top six here over his three seasons. He’s just a bad player st this point.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The same Karl Alzner who hasn't played an NHL game since Jan 10, and only dressed for 9 games all season? The guy that the Habs waived to the AHL a month and a half ago? That guy?

Yeah. I'm sure he's gonna take a load off of our top two dmen.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

The same Karl Alzner who hasn't played an NHL game since Jan 10, and only dressed for 9 games all season? The guy that the Habs waived to the AHL a month and a half ago? That guy?

Coach <-> player relationships don't always work man, we've seen players blossom away from a former team.

Alzner was healing injuries after his IRONMAN streak with the Caps, but got two pretty bad ones near the end of his caps tenure, wasn't the same for a couple years after that, but he seems better now & the season prior this one he blocked over 140 shots iirc.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Coach <-> player relationships don't always work man, we've seen players blossom away from a former team.

Alzner was healing injuries after his IRONMAN streak with the Caps, but got two pretty bad ones near the end of his caps tenure, wasn't the same for a couple years after that, but he seems better now & the season prior this one he blocked over 140 shots iirc.
31 years old and demoted to the AHL. Alzner is not a recipe for a bounce back after a down year. Alzner is a stay home kind of player in the same vein as Gudbranson, though less old-school. His mobility is about the same too.....I'm sure he passes better, but that's not saying much.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:02 pm 31 years old and demoted to the AHL. Alzner is not a recipe for a bounce back after a down year. Alzner is a stay home kind of player in the same vein as Gudbranson, though less old-school. His mobility is about the same too.....I'm sure he passes better, but that's not saying much.
So in a nutshell who would you rather have: Alzner at $4.625M or Eriksson at $6M, and ya can't say neither aha.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:02 pm 31 years old and demoted to the AHL. Alzner is not a recipe for a bounce back after a down year. Alzner is a stay home kind of player in the same vein as Gudbranson, though less old-school. His mobility is about the same too.....I'm sure he passes better, but that's not saying much.
So in a nutshell who would you rather have: Alzner at $4.625M or Eriksson at $6M, and ya can't say neither aha.
Eriksson at $6M. Loui is a serviceable 3rd line forward who is responsible defensively. He can still skate, and can play up when required, there's even the possibility that he gets utilized properly on the PP for a change and contributes offensively too.

Alzner can kill penalties, but he can't skate, can't score, and there's a reason two other teams have moved on from him.

Just to save $1.5M? There are far better options out there.