Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I wouldn’t want nylander at anything over 7.0.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:36 pm I wouldn’t want nylander at anything over 7.0.
You and Dubas both!

Its different scenarios on trade vs offer sheet - the offer sheet will need to be $8mil to get him to sign it and have any chance of Toronto not matching.

If you trade for him, you can negotiate and try to convince him and his agent that he's worth $7mil (i.e. Pastrnak money, vs. Eichel/Draisatl money).

Maybe Nylander just really wants out of Toronto and will take less to play in our little West Coast-Stockholm. I highly doubt it though, and any team acquiring him should expect his salary demands to remain the same.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:22 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:36 pm I wouldn’t want nylander at anything over 7.0.
You and Dubas both!

Its different scenarios on trade vs offer sheet - the offer sheet will need to be $8mil to get him to sign it and have any chance of Toronto not matching.

If you trade for him, you can negotiate and try to convince him and his agent that he's worth $7mil (i.e. Pastrnak money, vs. Eichel/Draisatl money).

Maybe Nylander just really wants out of Toronto and will take less to play in our little West Coast-Stockholm. I highly doubt it though, and any team acquiring him should expect his salary demands to remain the same.
Now and in the future when he’s UFA.
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The thought of having Nylander and Dahlen flanking EP for the next 8 years is enticing.

I don't think Jim needs worry about the forwards right now though, it's the D that his focus is likely on.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:49 pm The thought of having Nylander and Dahlen flanking EP for the next 8 years is enticing.

I don't think Jim needs worry about the forwards right now though, it's the D that his focus is likely on.
Albeit true, ANY opportunity to improve in ANY area, you gotta do it IF the price is right.

Having an high octane forward group, you might build up a surplus and trade in a position of power when the next big opportunity arises.

I liken it to LA Kings building years, when the Hurricanes couldn't sign their 3rd overall pick Jack Johnson and Lombardi jumped on that and traded for him....then parlayed him into Jeff Carter later on as the Kings were lacking goal scorers up front but built up a deep defense.

Continue to acquire quality assets and build em up, so when a different opportunity comes along you got the assets to make a quick deal, preparation meets opportunity.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Fair point, but what kind of surplus will there be up front after sending a lucrative package to acquire Nylander?

Vancouver doesn't have a surplus of desirable assets to acquire said player.

Jim has the next year to reconfigure the D core to insulate Hughes for next season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks would put their prospect pool back to worst in the league again where Gillis put it with one - prospects/picks for established player trade, like a Nylander. The viscious cycle of hell needs to stop. We are far from doing a trade like this....but then again, the Aquas.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doubt the leaves want picks/prospects for Nylander, they want to contend now.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

SKYO wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 pm Doubt the leaves want picks/prospects for Nylander, they want to contend now.
Agreed but we don’t have anything to offer there either! :lol:

Like others have said, the Canucks should stay clear of Nylander. He’s a good player but the only scenario in which they should pursue him is if they could get him for pennies on the dollar and there’s no way the leaves would do that right now.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 pm Doubt the leaves want picks/prospects for Nylander, they want to contend now.
Exactly who are you trading for Nylander? A trade that would get the leaves attention? Of same age and manageable contract, cause the Leaf brass is now saying that players have to give us the hometown discount if they want to stay. Are you trading 28 year old Tanev for a 22 year old Nylander. Our D is awful as is, getting rid of Tanev plus for a Nylander who is known for not being very attentive in the D would make our D core embarrassing beyond belief. Who/what exactly are you trading for Nylander should can help the leaves now, is cheap, young and name isn’t Tanev?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 am
Exactly who are you trading for Nylander? A trade that would get the leaves attention? Of same age and manageable contract, cause the Leaf brass is now saying that players have to give us the hometown discount if they want to stay. Are you trading 28 year old Tanev for a 22 year old Nylander. Our D is awful as is, getting rid of Tanev plus for a Nylander who is known for not being very attentive in the D would make our D core embarrassing beyond belief. Who/what exactly are you trading for Nylander should can help the leaves now, is cheap, young and name isn’t Tanev?
Tanev for nylander and Zaitsev, take that shit contract off their hands
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They likely want to unload Gardiner before Zaitsev. Hes their Hutton. Actually hes one of their Huttons :lol:

The one i like over there is Dermott. Hes has some upside
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tanev + ? for Nylander+Zaitsev now that's something to consider.

Zait may be their Hutton, but NZ had a better rookie year than either Stecher or Hutton, he might have better upside yet than those two, and hey he could help entice Tryamkin come back a year sooner, Tramz could buy out his contract in the 2019 offseason, the Russian factor.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So replacing our best Defenceman - Tanev with Toronto’s - Ben Hutton, is a good trade for us? a position we are disgustingly awful in. Getting a forward with known D-zone deficiencies in Nylander whom you’ll have to overpay to sign him on the dotted line is pure awesomeness for us? Curious what you have in mind for what asset(s) makes up the “plus” part of what else we would have to package. Cause Tanev isn’t exactly young anymore.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The only smart move for trading Tanev is finding a team at the deadline who's looking at the Cup and needs one more experienced, stable Dman - then they'll need to throw us a promising D prospect / younger player with potential / upside (and a pick).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."