Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cornuck »

Draft Day - start of the 'new' season, so a new thread!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Mickey107 »

Why can't the the beginning post on a new thread, (that is a yearly one), include the last page of the last one?
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am Why can't the the beginning post on a new thread, (that is a yearly one), include the last page of the last one?
Or why cant it hyperlink to the middle of one huge super thread spanning decades
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:16 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am Why can't the the beginning post on a new thread, (that is a yearly one), include the last page of the last one?
Or why cant it hyperlink to the middle of one huge super thread spanning decades
Ok UDL.... just step away from the keyboard...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Expanding on my thought from the last thread about Taveres.
Lets say the Canucks had planned to offer Brock a 8 x 6 m salary = 48m all together.
While they have a ton of cap space offer him 15m on a one year deal and then 7 years at 5m = 50m all together (or 8 years). That way his cap hit is reduced in future years when other players need to start being paid and he makes a couple extra million for taking two contracts instead of one. He also benefits by a big up front payday in his first year.
Great idea, or great idea?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am Expanding on my thought from the last thread about Taveres.
Lets say the Canucks had planned to offer Brock a 8 x 6 m salary = 48m all together.
While they have a ton of cap space offer him 15m on a one year deal and then 7 years at 5m = 50m all together (or 8 years). That way his cap hit is reduced in future years when other players need to start being paid and he makes a couple extra million for taking two contracts instead of one. He also benefits by a big up front payday in his first year.
Gotta love the original thinking there CP. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Still need a goalie and d man or 2.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am Still need a goalie
Why do you keep repeating that, no one agrees with you, care to explain?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am Still need a goalie and d man or 2.
Goalie coach maybe.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am Expanding on my thought from the last thread about Taveres.
If they could do it in such a way to avoid being tagged for cap circumvention (ie nothing in writing, no text messages etc.), then it would be a stroke of... genius? :look:

But I think the league would very much be on the lookout for this type of thing (essentially front-loading a 7-9 year deal).

And you'd have to make the overall money swing even more in his favour (certainly more than 50M over 7 years). Gotta think he'd be after $80-90M total at least. So it would likely need to be something like two years @$15M, then 50 over 6. Still, having JT on a $8.3M cap hit would be a great deal.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sounds like something the taxman would love........gotta get that Foundation setup and hire Dad to run it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 am
Gotta love the original thinking there CP. :thumbs:
Ya, I can only think of three people who posted this earlier.

Be that as it may, I don’t see this as cap circumvention. It’s more about getting around the 7 year max on offering term to a UFA. But it would cost more than 5m on the next seven years. I’d still do it. 15m on a 1 year deal with the framework of a new deal of 8M-9M over 8 years but with a modified NTC in the last 2-3 years.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 am
Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am Still need a goalie
Why do you keep repeating that, no one agrees with you, care to explain?
Are that dumb to think the current tandem is good enough to take the Canucks to the playoffs and beyond?

Why don’t you provide something to show that they have the skill to win the games they need to.

Wait no one agrees with your thoughts.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Get with the program, everyone agrees Markstrom is the placeholder for Demko.

And many believe Demko will replace Nilsson this season.

What kind of goalie did you want to bring in and what would he cost?

And what would we then do with one of Markstrom/Demko?
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd say look at David Pastrnak's contract - $6.6M ish per for Boeser.

For Tavares it would probably take $12m per to steal him outta NY.

And idk I'd rather spend big bucks on Carlson instead $9M per, if you can do that then drafting Wahlstrom would be stupendous - he'd make our forward group ridiculously deep.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.