Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Mickey107 »

Consider this: Our defense isn't very good generally. But there are times when almost any one of them shine for one night or so.
What does this mean?
Also; There is still a very long way to go in regards to implementing a system whereas five skaters are working in unison, whether on the offense
or, even more particular, the defensive zone. The forwards are often guilty of not picking up "their guy".

Hopefully it comes sooner then later.
Doug Jarvis is not an assistant coach anymore. He is a coaching consultant with the Canucks and Comets.
A promotion? I don't think so but it sounds respectful.
Baby steps. :mrgreen:

I think one actual hockey trade, something JB hasn't dabbled to much in yet, may be in order.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 pm The only smart move for trading Tanev is finding a team at the deadline who's looking at the Cup and needs one more experienced, stable Dman - then they'll need to throw us a promising D prospect / younger player with potential / upside (and a pick).
That would be the better move, end of the season, at the deadline. See how Juolevi is progressing, the anticipation of Hughes next year and maybe some surprise camps from Brisebios or Woo but the D core needs adding to. The depth is still thin. Too many unknowns.If you can snag a good young D prospect by trading Tanev that would something to think about although not sure how that benefits the team acquiring Tanev, giving up a good young D prospect. I say keep Tanev and Edler around to mentor the kids coming in - Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Brisebios etc., and pray we get Tryamkin back.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:07 pm ...although not sure how that benefits the team acquiring Tanev, giving up a good young D prospect.
A team with a 'win now' approach and closing window on their chances should be wanted that extra insurance.

Unless we get a good young D back, we should keep him for the reasons you listed.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:07 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 pm The only smart move for trading Tanev is finding a team at the deadline who's looking at the Cup and needs one more experienced, stable Dman - then they'll need to throw us a promising D prospect / younger player with potential / upside (and a pick).
That would be the better move, end of the season, at the deadline. See how Juolevi is progressing, the anticipation of Hughes next year and maybe some surprise camps from Brisebios or Woo but the D core needs adding to. The depth is still thin. Too many unknowns.If you can snag a good young D prospect by trading Tanev that would something to think about although not sure how that benefits the team acquiring Tanev, giving up a good young D prospect. I say keep Tanev and Edler around to mentor the kids coming in - Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Brisebios etc., and pray we get Tryamkin back.
Careful Cornuck, I suggested moving Tanev for someone like Cal Foote and Mr Perfect got pretty heated about that in another thread.
SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:59 pm I'd only move Tanev if you can land a big right side dman who is a year or two away from the pros - would have to get that from a contender who wants to win within these next two years and that team is the Tampa Bay Lightning, they seem like the most logical fit right now for a Tanev move sacrificing a prospect. To sweeten the pot for their new GM who is a Habs fan/French, we could throw in Brisebois so they get a top pairing dman now and a future dman to lessen the hit they'd take by moving Foote.

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 91#p315091
mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm Epilogue: Skyo will continue to shill for trading Tanev for his latest wet dream of a young, inexperienced D-man and propose we get an older D-man on the downhill slide who makes twice as much as Tanev to mentor.
Then at season's end he will propose to sign Jannik Hansen so the Canucks then can trade Hansen to Winnipeg for "a draft pick."
lol
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Really don't get the love in for Cal Foote. He's not exactly your modern fast moving, puck moving D-man. The Av fans have been raving about Girard's play this small season, small player. The Wings have been raving about Cholowski's play this small season, not a giant. The Devils fans have been raving about Ty Smith's training camp, small player. And Heislenan, Heiskanen looks to be challenging Pettersson for the Calder according to the tale of the tape this small season, another smallish defenceman. Lets face it, the Dana Murzyns/Cal Foote's are becoming the Dodo birds of hockey.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

We got enough smaller guys on defense bruh, between Hughes and Stecher the team needs some beef on D for the next 10 years.

And for a big guy, Foote is pretty agile, captain of his team, top 2 dman high IQ potential yada yada.

An assertive two-way defenceman who reads plays quickly and understands both the offensive and defensive sides of the roles he is put into. He plays a consistent game, and can be trusted to create chances from the back end on special teams. He uses his size to gain leverage against other players, though he isn't an overly physical force. His hockey sense is outstanding, and his ability to not just read but start and, on the odd occasion, finish plays is overtly indicative of his high talent level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)
An incredibly tough defenseman to beat in the defensive zone who is only going to get better, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017

Foote is a physically gifted defender who is consistently tasked with and does an excellent job of shutting down the top attackers, Hockeyprospect.com 2017

Foote, selected in the first round, 14th overall, by the Lightning in the 2017 NHL Draft, had been a steady presence and offensive force for the Rockets this season en route to them capturing the Western Hockey League’s B.C. Division title for the seventh time in franchise history.

Foote put together a career year with 70 points (19G-51A) and a plus-31 rating in 60 games. He added three power-play goals and three game-winning goals. Those figures were good enough to help him finish sixth in defensive scoring throughout the entire league, third among defencemen in the Western Conference and top defensive scorer in the B.C. Division.

Foote was one of two Kelowna Rockets players selected to play for Canada at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship, helping them win gold back in early January 2018.

Foote was recently named the 2017-18 Western Conference Defenceman of the Year and is one of two finalists for the Bill Hunter Trophy as the WHL’s Top Defenceman.

Originally selected in the second round, 43rd overall, by the Rockets in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft, Foote has played in 202 career WHL regular season games, registering 163 points (33G-130A), a plus-86 rating, as well as 10 power-play goals, one short-handed goal, and five game-winning goals.

In four WHL Playoffs games this year, the 19-year-old product of Engelwood, Colo. finished second on the Rockets in scoring with six points (1G-5A). The 6-foot-4, 210-pound defenceman has 22 points (3G-19A) in 36 career WHL Playoffs games.

http://whl.ca/video/lightning-sign-rock ... l-contract
I think he'd be perfect complimentary right side dman for Hughes moving forward.

Gotta think 2020-2028 a solid range where this team should be elite again.

Hughes - Foote
Juolevi - Woo
(Chatfield/Utunen/Brassard/Trymakin/Brisebois/Rathbone/Pouliot) - Guddy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm looking for a right side dman to play with Edler for a couple more years.

***Re-sign Edler 2 years to shield Hughes and Juolevi another couple years.

EDLER - _____
HUGHES - TANEV
JUOLEVI - GUDDY

Or maybe trade Tanev for Liljegren & sign Myers July 1st.

Your 2019/20 top 6 defense:

Edler -- Liljegren
Hughes -- Myers
Juolevi -- Guddy

I can dig it, that defense is much more dynamic with way more scoring skill, Juolevi is already thriving in Utica, he'll come around quicker than anticipated.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm Juolevi is already thriving in Utica, he'll come around quicker than anticipated.
It's already too late for that. I'll be happy enough if he contributes effectively on the Canucks at all this season.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm I'm looking for a right side dman to play with Edler for a couple more years.

EDLER - _____
HUGHES - TANEV
JUOLEVI - GUDDY

Edler -- Liljegren
Hughes -- Myers
Juolevi -- Guddy

I can dig it, that defense is much more dynamic with way more scoring skill, Juolevi is already thriving in Utica, he'll come around quicker than anticipated.
DO NOT resign Edler - can get a hell of a lot better for the same price. If he does not lift his trade clause then screw him, do want his "lack of leadership" stuck on this team.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am
Lancer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:05 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:18 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 am Imagine this d group minus Tanev :lol:

Doubt that happens
There’s a wizard on this board that thinks the D is just fine. It’s all the coaches fault
I honestly cant think who has a weaker d league wide Blob. Theres help coming but right now its all stems and seeds
For all the folks here who’ve hacked on the Juolevi pick. Considering the state of the blueline and the fact the only premier prospects in the system are Juolevi, Hughes and Woo, maybe having Juolevi in the fold as opposed to Tkachuk doesn’t look so bad. You can make the argument that Benning could have picked another D like Sergachev or Chychrun, but it’s good to have depth in the system on D.

Another reason why the most sound trade chips Benning has are forwards vice Dmen. You can’t have enough depth on the blueline.
Disagree 100%, having a top forward that can be traded for a top d man is much better option than having drafted a top d that may not make the NHL. True you can never have enough d prospects but at the position he was picked he should be better.
Reef, the problem with this is you need a trading partner. Teams are very reluctant to give up good defensemen because they know their value!

Give him time, we don't need hime right now. If he helps strengthen our defensive core when we are back into the playoffs he will be invaluable.

Look how quickly we turned around our forward depth! There isn't a lot of young defenseman that make an impact before they are 25, forwards make the jump much quicker an easier.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 am Imagine this d group minus Tanev :lol:

Doubt that happens
There’s a wizard on this board that thinks the D is just fine. It’s all the coaches fault
I honestly cant think who has a weaker d league wide Blob. Theres help coming but right now its all stems and seeds
For all the folks here who’ve hacked on the Juolevi pick. Considering the state of the blueline and the fact the only premier prospects in the system are Juolevi, Hughes and Woo, maybe having Juolevi in the fold as opposed to Tkachuk doesn’t look so bad. You can make the argument that Benning could have picked another D like Sergachev or Chychrun, but it’s good to have depth in the system on D.

Another reason why the most sound trade chips Benning has are forwards vice Dmen. You can’t have enough depth on the blueline.
Disagree 100%, having a top forward that can be traded for a top d man is much better option than having drafted a top d that may not make the NHL. True you can never have enough d prospects but at the position he was picked he should be better.
Reef, the problem with this is you need a trading partner. Teams are very reluctant to give up good defensemen because they know their value!

Give him time, we don't need hime right now. If he helps strengthen our defensive core when we are back into the playoffs he will be invaluable.

Look how quickly we turned around our forward depth! There isn't a lot of young defenseman that make an impact before they are 25, forwards make the jump much quicker an easier.
Given this logic, would we hypothetically refuse an offer from Calgary of Tkachuk in exchange for Juolevi? I'm thinking we'd jump at that offer.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doubt that happens

We all know the stats on how many kids drafted actually make the NHL, if you look at the place they were picked and the % of chance they make the NHL it lowers as you are picked later. If someone had the stats I wonder how it compares between forwards and D? My assumption (And take it for what it is) is that D trend even lower on making the NHL.

If the team was picking 6 - 10 and had a choice between a forward and a d, you take the BPA even if it is a forward unless you are feeling very confident that the D player will make the team. Again I totally understand the need to have prospects and maybe I feel jaded with Julio but man it would suck to see in 2019 the Nucks pick a D man and leaves a better forward on the table all to fill a position of need and to only see the D man not live to the hype he was drafted at.

This is all hypothetical and easy to say after a couple years after the draft.

I also understand your comments about having a partner to trade with, but it has been done. Maybe not a Weber type d man is moved but a top pairing guy.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

Doubt that happens

Given this logic, would we hypothetically refuse an offer from Calgary of Tkachuk in exchange for Juolevi? I'm thinking we'd jump at that offer.
I like Tkachuk, but I wouldn't jump at that offer. Too early to tell what we have in Juolevi. If he turns out to be a solid top-4 guy who can move the puck, no way I'd trade him for Tkachuk right now. Who else is there in the system?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am Reef, the problem with this is you need a trading partner. Teams are very reluctant to give up good defensemen because they know their value!

That wasn't my logic at all. All I'm saying is that we need to understand that some defensemen take longer to develop! Forwards generally make the jump earlier and faster.

We can stockpile all the forwards we want but there still needs to be a willingness of another team to trade us a legitimate defenseman.

Honestly, we need to develop Joulevi! I wouldn't trade him for Tkachuk at this point given what we know about our back end right now. Not a chance.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:56 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm I'm looking for a right side dman to play with Edler for a couple more years.

EDLER - _____
HUGHES - TANEV
JUOLEVI - GUDDY

Edler -- Liljegren
Hughes -- Myers
Juolevi -- Guddy

DO NOT resign Edler - can get a hell of a lot better for the same price. If he does not lift his trade clause then screw him, do want his "lack of leadership" stuck on this team.
Friedman said the team could move Edler as a rental to a contender, then re-sign him in the offseason, I prefer we get him back, Edler had a helluva good season last year, he's quietly been the workhorse on the team full of no QB's, no offensive guns, no creative flair, hell he's been the best point producer dman on the team - where he should be a gritty defensive guy ala on Team Sweden where he was the "tough guy" on D, playing with uber dmen scoring types and he thrived.