Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4673
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by micky107 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 am

https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/r ... defenseman

Well; No reason to think there isn't something to this.
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9381
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 am

ESQ wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:51 pm
ESQ wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:45 pm
Trouba gets 1-year, $5.5 million in arbitration. After a "marathon" arbitration arson session, they just literally split the difference! :lol:

I had thought there was a rule that a player isn't tradeable after the team accepts the arbitration ruling, but I must have had that mixed up with matching an offer sheet.

You may also be thinking of walk away rights if the award exceeds 3.5 million.
I remember a lot of posting at the time of the Weber offer sheet, about whether there was some way for the Canucks to trade for him, but I think a team can't match an offer sheet then trade the guy.
IF only the Canucks had some fucking WHL scouts back then...or any decent scouts overall instead of that micky mouse operation back in all the Canucks existence before Jimmy came aboard.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by BladesofSteel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am

Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Reefer2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Richardstroker69 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.
Just imagine if they drafted well though, they could have won a cup.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.
Just imagine if they drafted well though, they could have won a cup.
Nobody they would have drafted from 08-10 would have helped win a cup in 2011.

Don’t say Karlsson because he was a big reach for Ottawa
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11716
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by RoyalDude » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.
Just imagine if they drafted well though, they could have won a cup.
You’ll have better luck reasoning with with a picnic table
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2735
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.
Just imagine if they drafted well though, they could have won a cup.
wouldn't have won a cup, but perhaps made the Twinsition a little less painful
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9800
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Topper » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:28 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am
Bo, Gaunce and Hutton are the only players left that were drafted by the last regime. If you include the entire league, Connauton and Schroeder round out the abysmal era that was Gillis & co.

37 draft picks over six entry drafts and only one single legitimate player. :shock:

Absolutely appalling.
Yet 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.
Just imagine if they drafted well though, they could have won a cup.
Nobody they would have drafted from 08-10 would have helped win a cup in 2011.

Don’t say Karlsson because he was a big reach for Ottawa
Must be why those 2nd and 3rd rounders are so important to stockpile.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am

That’s what smart GMs do when rebuilding. More lottery tickets= more chances to draft a good player.

Point is nobody drafted two seasons earlier was likely going to make much of an impact on a cup run.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11716
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by RoyalDude » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am
That’s what smart GMs do when rebuilding. More lottery tickets= more chances to draft a good player.

Point is nobody drafted two seasons earlier was likely going to make much of an impact on a cup run.
All players easily squeezed on to a payroll in a cap system, the same can’t be said about a Norris Trophy Dman looking to sign his $10 million per retirement contract
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am
That’s what smart GMs do when rebuilding. More lottery tickets= more chances to draft a good player.

Point is nobody drafted two seasons earlier was likely going to make much of an impact on a cup run.
All players easily squeezed on to a payroll in a cap system, the same can’t be said about a Norris Trophy Dman looking to sign his $10 million per retirement contract
Sure
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am
Point is nobody drafted two seasons earlier was likely going to make much of an impact on a cup run.
That's interesting, I thought that as a rule every recent Cup winner had key players on ELCs on their roster.

Pens 2009 - Letang and Staal
Hawks 2010 - Craword, Kane and Toews
Bruins 2011 - Seguin was a minor player, Marchand was on ELC
Kings 2012 - they had no rookies
Hawks 2013 - Shaw and Saad
Kings 2014 - Pearson and Toffoli
Hawks 2015 - Saad and Teravainen
Penguins 2016 - Sheary, Murray, Maatta, Rust
Penguins 2017 - Murray, Sheary, Guentzel
Caps 2018 - no rookies

I suppose most of these players were more than draft +2 by the time they made an impact, but I think as a rule, Cup winners have ELC players in key roles on their championship runs.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11063
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 pm

You’d be better off to mention the players Vancouver had a chance at drafting in 08-10 that would have had an impact in the 11 playoffs. As said already Karlsson was rated in the late 20s and obviously was a great gamble. Using him is a bit disingenuous.

Who are the guys the Canucks could have legitimately drafted from 08-10 that would have sealed that cup?
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by theman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 pm
You’d be better off to mention the players Vancouver had a chance at drafting in 08-10 that would have had an impact in the 11 playoffs. As said already Karlsson was rated in the late 20s and obviously was a great gamble. Using him is a bit disingenuous.

Who are the guys the Canucks could have legitimately drafted from 08-10 that would have sealed that cup?
Only possible ones would be: Eberle, Josi and Ryan O'Rielly. We traded our 2010 pick.

Post Reply