Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am
With Gaunce, you knew exactly what he was. A decent defence forward who had a ton of 'hits' that nobody saw or felt, and his stick was where offence went to die. We had seen it for years with him. Excellent at the AHL level, but couldn't make it work in the bigs. Yet some loved him instead of seeing him as the lack of skill and depth we were actually at.
Well, you're not going to an offensive dynamo for $800k playing on your 4th line. I guess u can go with the small skilled types like Linden Vey, Samwise Gagner or Alex Burmistrov, but those guys are a liability and not very good in matchups and tight situations. I'd rather go with more defensive minded guys who are tough to play against and can chip in with the odd goal on the 4th line.
Yep. Gaunce is the kind of player we’re likely to need in a couple seasons when EP and (hopefully) QH are making big money. For now, Green can safely hide Benning’s mistakes at the bottom of the depth chart.
You mean where they’re intended to play?

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8345
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am
With Gaunce, you knew exactly what he was. A decent defence forward who had a ton of 'hits' that nobody saw or felt, and his stick was where offence went to die. We had seen it for years with him. Excellent at the AHL level, but couldn't make it work in the bigs. Yet some loved him instead of seeing him as the lack of skill and depth we were actually at.
Well, you're not going to an offensive dynamo for $800k playing on your 4th line. I guess u can go with the small skilled types like Linden Vey, Samwise Gagner or Alex Burmistrov, but those guys are a liability and not very good in matchups and tight situations. I'd rather go with more defensive minded guys who are tough to play against and can chip in with the odd goal on the 4th line.
Yep. Gaunce is the kind of player we’re likely to need in a couple seasons when EP and (hopefully) QH are making big money. For now, Green can safely hide Benning’s mistakes at the bottom of the depth chart.
You mean where they’re intended to play?
Louis Eriksson is not paid to be a bottom-6 player.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am
With Gaunce, you knew exactly what he was. A decent defence forward who had a ton of 'hits' that nobody saw or felt, and his stick was where offence went to die. We had seen it for years with him. Excellent at the AHL level, but couldn't make it work in the bigs. Yet some loved him instead of seeing him as the lack of skill and depth we were actually at.
Well, you're not going to an offensive dynamo for $800k playing on your 4th line. I guess u can go with the small skilled types like Linden Vey, Samwise Gagner or Alex Burmistrov, but those guys are a liability and not very good in matchups and tight situations. I'd rather go with more defensive minded guys who are tough to play against and can chip in with the odd goal on the 4th line.
Yep. Gaunce is the kind of player we’re likely to need in a couple seasons when EP and (hopefully) QH are making big money. For now, Green can safely hide Benning’s mistakes at the bottom of the depth chart.
You mean where they’re intended to play?
Louis Eriksson is not paid to be a bottom-6 player.
And the others?

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8345
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am
With Gaunce, you knew exactly what he was. A decent defence forward who had a ton of 'hits' that nobody saw or felt, and his stick was where offence went to die. We had seen it for years with him. Excellent at the AHL level, but couldn't make it work in the bigs. Yet some loved him instead of seeing him as the lack of skill and depth we were actually at.
Well, you're not going to an offensive dynamo for $800k playing on your 4th line. I guess u can go with the small skilled types like Linden Vey, Samwise Gagner or Alex Burmistrov, but those guys are a liability and not very good in matchups and tight situations. I'd rather go with more defensive minded guys who are tough to play against and can chip in with the odd goal on the 4th line.
Yep. Gaunce is the kind of player we’re likely to need in a couple seasons when EP and (hopefully) QH are making big money. For now, Green can safely hide Benning’s mistakes at the bottom of the depth chart.
You mean where they’re intended to play?
Louis Eriksson is not paid to be a bottom-6 player.
And the others?
Jay Beagle has a cap hit of $3M. That puts him in the top 200 for forwards, and top-90 for centres. Tim Schaller is 95th. These guys were fixtures on our fourth line (or press box in Schaller's case). So yeah, a guy like Gaunce at $850K is probably what we'll need on our fourth line in a couple seasons. Paying this kind of money to the Gagner's/Spooner's/Beagle's/Schaller's of the league is a luxury we won't be able to afford when our young guys start making real money.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:32 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 am
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am
With Gaunce, you knew exactly what he was. A decent defence forward who had a ton of 'hits' that nobody saw or felt, and his stick was where offence went to die. We had seen it for years with him. Excellent at the AHL level, but couldn't make it work in the bigs. Yet some loved him instead of seeing him as the lack of skill and depth we were actually at.
Well, you're not going to an offensive dynamo for $800k playing on your 4th line. I guess u can go with the small skilled types like Linden Vey, Samwise Gagner or Alex Burmistrov, but those guys are a liability and not very good in matchups and tight situations. I'd rather go with more defensive minded guys who are tough to play against and can chip in with the odd goal on the 4th line.
Yep. Gaunce is the kind of player we’re likely to need in a couple seasons when EP and (hopefully) QH are making big money. For now, Green can safely hide Benning’s mistakes at the bottom of the depth chart.
You mean where they’re intended to play?
Louis Eriksson is not paid to be a bottom-6 player.
And the others?
Jay Beagle has a cap hit of $3M. That puts him in the top 200 for forwards, and top-90 for centres. Tim Schaller is 95th. These guys were fixtures on our fourth line (or press box in Schaller's case). So yeah, a guy like Gaunce at $850K is probably what we'll need on our fourth line in a couple seasons. Paying this kind of money to the Gagner's/Spooner's/Beagle's/Schaller's of the league is a luxury we won't be able to afford when our young guys start making real money.
I agree we’ll need guys like gaunce in a couple of years, but those guys were brought in to play fourth line, you stating green is “hiding” them on the fourth line is false.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8345
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm
I agree we’ll need guys like gaunce in a couple of years, but those guys were brought in to play fourth line, you stating green is “hiding” them on the fourth line is false.
Green's hiding a guy worth $1.9M in the press box most nights.

This team is savagely overpaying their bottom-6 forwards. Jay Beagle was a fourth liner on a cup-winning team, got high-end 3rd liner pay (with term) to come here... and be a fourth liner (in year 1).

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm
I agree we’ll need guys like gaunce in a couple of years, but those guys were brought in to play fourth line, you stating green is “hiding” them on the fourth line is false.
Green's hiding a guy worth $1.9M in the press box most nights.

This team is savagely overpaying their bottom-6 forwards. Jay Beagle was a fourth liner on a cup-winning team, got high-end 3rd liner pay (with term) to come here... and be a fourth liner (in year 1).
He was brought in to play fourth line, pk, and take defensive matchups that’s what he’s doing, he’s not hidden anyhwre

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3512
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Hank » Sat May 11, 2019 8:05 pm

According to this article from 2016, most GMs tend to overpay for bottom 6 players.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/06/03/ho ... key-worth/

At the time of this writing, NYI's 4th line was making almost $10million. To be fair though, Casey Cizikis has been scoring on average, at a much better than 4th liner pace since signing his latest contract.

Good bottom 6 players ain't cheap these days... and Beagle has pedigree. This team's PK imploded when Beagle was out and that cost the team a bunch of points.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8345
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm
I agree we’ll need guys like gaunce in a couple of years, but those guys were brought in to play fourth line, you stating green is “hiding” them on the fourth line is false.
Green's hiding a guy worth $1.9M in the press box most nights.

This team is savagely overpaying their bottom-6 forwards. Jay Beagle was a fourth liner on a cup-winning team, got high-end 3rd liner pay (with term) to come here... and be a fourth liner (in year 1).
He was brought in to play fourth line, pk, and take defensive matchups that’s what he’s doing, he’s not hidden anyhwre
Tim Schaller? or Beagle?

I'm not sure what your point is here. Green has the luxury to play Benning's overpayments lower in the lineup than they should be (or not in the lineup at all). He can hide a guy like TS in the press box. The organization can park a guy like Gagner in the minors (or trade him for a similarly piss poor contract). In a couple years, we won't be able to afford this, and guys on $1M deals will be necessary.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 7687
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Hanks right. We dont need the cap room right now as much as the stabilizing presence of successful vets like Beagle.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15206
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Every year you can get Fillpulas and Brodziaks etc on one and two year deals. The Canucks seem to want to give these scrubs 4 to 6 year deals.

Because culture


More Beaglets and Sutters !!! More Del Zottos to run the team ghetto blaster. More Schallers !!!
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 7687
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 pm
Every year you can get Fillpulas and Brodziaks etc on one and two year deals. The Canucks seem to want to give these scrubs 4 to 6 year deals.

Because culture


More Beaglets and Sutters !!! More Del Zottos to run the team ghetto blaster. More Schallers !!!
True...but....you cant sneeze at the way the top kids on the canucks are developing. Theyre trending upwards and we can all agree the team has 3 or 4 pieces of the future core already dressing full time. Not to mention lighting it up as rookies 2 years in a row with QH looking like 3 in a row. I still maintain if Boeser wasnt hurt he wins the calder. That wouldve made back to backs with peteys win this year.

For what its worth, maybe having those overpaid vets in the organization contributed to their success on some psychological level. Who knows
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15206
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 pm

those guys are underrated.

Give em all seven years. Petterson doesn’t have his Calder nomination without Beaglet
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 7687
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sat May 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 pm
those guys are underrated.

Give em all seven years. Petterson doesn’t have his Calder nomination without Beaglet
:lol:

Ya youre right. That sounds fuckin retarded.

The ditch weed up here in whitehorse sucks. It made me write that
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8345
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:10 pm
The ditch weed up here in whitehorse sucks. It made me write that
Are you up in WH, UDL?

Give my best to the ladies at the Gold Rush. And the High Country. And Boyle Barracks.

Post Reply