Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 pm Yeah maybe you should enter into outdoor-related debates rather than Canuck-related debates. Image
Get your dusty lungs outside Goutman

:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Minor trade:

Chaput to Chicago for Tanner Kero

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... inor-trade

Seems like Utica fodder with slightly higher upside than Chaput.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I believe Kero is waiver exempt this year.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

i like the Canucks 2018 draft picks.
IF, a few prospects come outa camp with flying colours and, If they can pick up some gritty free
agent(s) that can significantly contribute the season might not be as shitty as we anticipate.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gotta say, love the Sedins, but I'm pretty excited about the up coming season - "the changing of the guard". Could see as many as 5 rookies in the line-up if Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlin, Demko and Juolevi all show well, but what if Hughes leaves College? It's obvious he's ready for prime time, putting Hughes in the AHL really not sure what that accomplishes, the kid is too talented for the A. If he jumps ship, could see a third of the line-up filled with rookies, add to that they young, Boeser, Stecher, Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Leipsic etc, do the Canucks all of a sudden become the youngest team in the NHL? Everyone is predicting a tire fire, but the kids will be full of beans and wanting to prove something, it's a young mans league now. Pettersson and Hughes (if he leaves College) will transition seamlessly. Pettersson dominated the Swedish mens league and Hughes didn't look out of place at the Worlds. Juolevi is well seasoned as well, after healing, he should be able to step right in comforatably, same goes for Demko and Gaudette. Some pundits seem to think Dahlen is going to surprise a lot of folks around here.

Anyhow, the 2018-19 season for the Canucks organization top and bottom (Utica) is going to be fun!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Top six defense if Juolevi and Hughes make the team???

Tanev Juolevi
Gudbranson Hughes
Stecher Edler

That leaves only two spots for 7th and 8th defensemen out of MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot, Sautner, Beiga
That's a lot of guys with NHL experience that will have to be traded or waived.
And then if Tryamkin surprises and shows up....damn.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

bckev wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am I believe Kero is waiver exempt this year.
Not true according to CapFriendly.

But does it matter?

No one will claim him on waivers.

(depth guy on a one-way $800K salary)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am Some pundits seem to think Dahlen is going to surprise a lot of folks around here.
By "pundits" do you mean yours truly? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 am Top six defense if Juolevi and Hughes make the team???

Tanev Juolevi
Gudbranson Hughes
Stecher Edler

That leaves only two spots for 7th and 8th defensemen out of MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot, Sautner, Beiga
That's a lot of guys with NHL experience that will have to be traded or waived.
And then if Tryamkin surprises and shows up....damn.
Facts bru, 5'10 Phil Housley drafted round 1 #6 overall 1982 NHL Entry Draft played right away after getting drafted.
Hughes drafted round 1 #7 overall 2018 NHL Entry Draft is about 7 months older than Housley when drafted/played-and those were tougher days wasn't it?

Thus I conclude through my dynamic research that the mighty Quinn Hughes should be able to start right away and succeed with his swift and agile NHL skating and elite scoring skills.

We should have an interesting camp this year on defense if Hughes signs for the first time in a loooooooooooong time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm thinking of Hughes and Pettersson undressing shitty defenses on the powerplay. If they hit some sort of magical telekinetic symetry theres no way Hughes leaves the team. Stars could instantly align and all this high end youth could gel right away. Its not even that far fetched considering how dynamic these 2 specifically have been.

Imagine how pissed RG would be(well only on this board i suppose...in the real world he'll be screaming at his tv in ecstacy like the rest of us) :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am mighty Quinn
Hey Chief, we call him The Eskimo? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 pm I'm thinking of Hughes and Pettersson undressing shitty defenses on the powerplay. If they hit some sort of magical telekinetic symetry theres no way Hughes leaves the team. Stars could instantly align and all this high end youth could gel right away. Its not even that far fetched considering how dynamic these 2 specifically have been.

Imagine how pissed RG would be(well only on this board i suppose...in the real world he'll be screaming at his tv in ecstacy like the rest of us) :lol:
Don't forget about Brock in the spot.

RG will cover his TV in ecstasy.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am mighty Quinn
Hey Chief, we call him The Eskimo? :mrgreen:
No we shall not. ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 pm I'm thinking of Hughes and Pettersson undressing shitty defenses on the powerplay. If they hit some sort of magical telekinetic symetry theres no way Hughes leaves the team. Stars could instantly align and all this high end youth could gel right away. Its not even that far fetched considering how dynamic these 2 specifically have been.

It seems I need to clarify my position. I am not at all angry; I am trepidatious.

Allow me to more vividly describe the elephant in the room. In my ideal world, the NHL enforces its rules in such a way as to protect the safety of the players (in so far as it is possible in a contact sport) and to insure that hockey skill and teamwork are the decisive factors in the outcome of a playoff round. I have no doubt that every poster here vividly recalls a time when that did not happen. So the scenario I am dreading is one in which Pettersson and Hughes both have brilliant regular seasons, finishing as finalists for the Hart/Norris/Richard/Lindsay etc., and then in some round of the playoffs the Canucks find themselves playing a team constituted more after the fashion of Doc's ideal, and one (or both) or them wind up on the receiving end of a Mason Raymond/Johnny Boychuk type manoeuvre, and their wee skeletons cannae take the strain. The League feigns outrage and gives the offender a 12 game suspension. (Historically, Boychuk received no penalty on the play and no supplemental discipline.) Gubranson (or maybe even Tryamkin) is genuinely outraged, and removes all the offender's teeth. But neither matters: the Canucks' talent pool thus critically depleted, they loose yet another heartbreaking series.

Now if someone here wants to explain why that's just not going to happen, I can enjoy fantasizing about the Masterpiece that Benning is surely putting together nearly as much as the rest of you. Only nearly, because
Hank wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm RG will cover his TV in ecstasy.
as I've stated a few times, I'm probably the least emotionally involved poster here. I was, and remain, curious about how to build a winning hockey team. It seems His Geniusship's own ideas about the process continue to evolve over the course of his tenure. ("meat and potatoes" :lol: )