Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Mickey107 »

vic wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 am Canucks acquire Ryan Spooner from EDM for Sam Gagne
JIm Benning is great at drafting !!
Right now, I'd like to see a little less moving pricey scrubs around and something that would help the team long term.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:39 am
vic wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 am Canucks acquire Ryan Spooner from EDM for Sam Gagne
Right now, I'd like to see a little less moving pricey scrubs around and something that would help the team long term.
You build through the draft. Hughes is coming

Demko (IR), Virtanen, Pettersson, Brisebios, Boeser, Gaudette - Jimbro says hi
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

@imacSportsnet
Plan is for Canucks to call up Ryan Spooner after this road trip. They get a player who may help them in the NHL for one, Sam Gagner, who was done in Vancouver. Fresh start for both.
9:31 AM - 16 Feb 2019

Sam gets re-united with Zack. That is fresh. :P :P :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9SAo9jBhI
"evolution"
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

meh, whats the point of these deals? scrub for scrub, was hoping Canucks were done doing shit like this
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nobody is giving up a draft pick for Sam Gagner. It's one overpriced veteran for another overpriced veteran. Benning obviously has some history with Spooner (drafted by Boston in 2010), and he was linked to the Canucks in rumours a while back.

I imagine he'll take Gaudette's spot in Utica?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

dangler wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 am
meh, whats the point of these deals? scrub for scrub, was hoping Canucks were done doing shit like this
If he sees NHL games, could be an asset in the 2nd PP.

Better than what we currently have there, maybe shows some chemistry with Loui from their days in Boston.

If he's a minor league player, no biggy, he'll play in Utica Gagner couldn't crack the roster.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Genius strikes again!!!

By trading Gag from TORONTO MARLIES to Edmonton, he makes both the Marlies and the Oilers worse!

Marlies are only a couple of points behind the Comets with a game in hand. Now Jimbo steals one of their top players. Depleted Comets will acquire another good AHL player (either Spooner or someone being returned). The Comets should make the playoffs now :)

Edmonton may get a few more goals but the sloppy defensive play just got sloppier - Better chance for Canucks to make the playoffs.

Crappy Oiler team wins the draft lottery and scores Mr Hughes - oh well, the Gods do have a sense of humor, and the Canucks are it! :devil:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-spooner
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sam-gagner

Sorry, what am I missing in regards to the money part?
It looks like it costs us one mill. more.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:20 am https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-spooner
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sam-gagner

Sorry, what am I missing in regards to the money part?
It looks like it costs us one mill. more.
Rangers retained 900K when they sent him to Edmonton.

Vancouver Canucks
Center, Left wing
Cap Hit: $3,100,000
Retained Salary: New York Rangers $900,000
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sorry IN; mick just found out,, :oops:
@ryanbiech
Following Following @ryanbiech
More
Reminder - Rangers are retaining $900,000 of Ryan Spooner's salary for this year and next season
Which makes the #Canucks actually save $50,000 in cap space compared to Gagner.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

There’s no fucking point. Why even bother with this nonsense?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In some cases it's not always about the team. If Gagne isn't going to play for us ever again, why not let the guy have a shot to get his NHL career going somewhere else?

Some of these trades end up with us getting a roster player - and with the injuries we're going through, that's not a bad thing.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am In some cases it's not always about the team. If Gagne isn't going to play for us ever again, why not let the guy have a shot to get his NHL career going somewhere else?

Some of these trades end up with us getting a roster player - and with the injuries we're going through, that's not a bad thing.
That’s all well and good. I would have preferred an expiring contract in that case or just bought him out at the end of the year. Being kind and thoughtful to useless shitty players isn’t going to improve the team.

Spooner is even softer and shittier defensively than Gagner
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 am
There’s no fucking point. Why even bother with this nonsense?
There are a few fucking points:
1. This eliminates Gagner from ever showing up as an injury fill in on the Canucks, which might have made me jump out a window. So it saves at least one life.
2. Spooner shoots left. He won’t be a centre on the Canucks. The Canucks LW depth begins with a third liner at best Leivo and goes downhill from there. Current depth chart is something like:
Leivo > Roussel > Eriksson > Granlund > Schaller > Goldobin > a potentially retiring Baertschi > a bag of used hockey pucks
I’m unsure where Spooner fits in when competing against that fantastic depth, but he should a least be better than Schaller, maybe Granlund, maybe Eriksson.
3. I get to watch Gagner on the Oilers.
4. Canucks save $50,000, Oilers lose $50,000. So if both players are nothingburgers, Benning wins the trade, which makes him an even bigger genius.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Maybe it's depth since we don't know what's going to happen to Baertschi. At the very least, it makes the Comets better.

Also, if Gagner somehow keeps the Oilers from yet another lottery pick, more lives will be spared. Spooner wasn't going to do that in EDM.

And it's a humanity-award type move by Benning. No good deeds goes unpunished :(
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!