2018 NHL DRAFT - Who does JB take.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who will the Canucks draft first on Friday...

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:57 am

Noah Dobson
33%
Evan Bouchard
18%
Quinn Hughes
10%
Oliver Whalstrom
10%
Brady Tchacuk
10%
Filip Zadina
5%
Ty Smith
No votes
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 39

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 NHL DRAFT - Who does JB take.

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:20 am Is that our 3rd? The score draft tracker quit uploading the picks
Woo in the 2nd. Madden in the 3rd.
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 am Aquaman is salivating at the thought of selling "Woo" jerseys in Richmond.
:lol:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:20 am Is that our 3rd? The score draft tracker quit uploading the picks
Tyler Madden

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=209395
A project, IMO. If he turns out to be a serviceable middle 6 forward, okay. Dunno about this pick.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Going D on the first two picks in a D heavy draft class sets us up to go forward in a forward heavy draft class in 2019 Vancouver!

Hughes, Newhook, Dach, Cozens, Kakko, Krebs etc., one more lottery draft for us then the playoffs beyond. Now let’s unload vets for 2019 picks!

Benning is a genius
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 am Got some decent sandpaper in the prospect pool now

Gaudette
Lockwood
Gadjovich
Lind
Woo
Tryamkin (yes he will be back)
Sandpaper that can skate, aside from maybe Gadjovich who needs to work on his. The rest of the guys are very good skaters and that’s a big thing for this league now.

Hughes I’m happy with, kid could probably make the team next year though my guess is they either send him back to Michigan to play with our pick next year (Jack) or to the AHL. He’s small but incredibly exciting to watch, very smart, can play both sides. Will need a big strong d partner to assist as he will get out-muscled, but I really like what Brackett and co did here, his skill set is badly needed.

Woo is interesting- started off really well and then hurt his shoulder. When he came back Clague had been acquired and taken many of the offensive zone starts that were Woo’s before. Kid can really skate, likes to hit, RH shot. Checks a lot of boxes and another skill set we don’t have in the prospect pool.

Madden is a big swing type of pick - very fast skater, tons of skill, very slight at 150 pounds. If he can get up to 170-175 and not lose the speed he will be a prototype 3rd line Center just like his dad was. Again I like the big swings at high upside guys, much better than safe picks.

Still a few late rounders to go. Let’s see who else we add.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 am Going D on the first two picks in a D heavy draft class sets us up to go forward in a forward heavy draft class in 2019 Vancouver!

Hughes, Newhook, Dach, Cozens, Kakko, Krebs etc., one more lottery draft for us then the playoffs beyond. Now let’s unload vets for 2019 picks!

Benning is a genius
He should have been unloading veterans since 2015.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Woo is a really good pick - as Dude mentioned he is a great hitter that knows when to gap up and lay devestating hits. He has offense was drafted near the top of WHL draft. Heading into this year people had him as high as top 20 pick. He slipped a bit - this Pick has potential for good value. We needed a heavy game on the back end and obviously d corps in general. Defiantly coolest name in the Draft
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Like Lockwood, Woo is going to have to learn to pick his spots more when going for the hits.

Reckless abandon results in unnecessary injuries.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Woo is smart, doesn’t run around looking for hits and rarely takes penalties due to his excellent positioning and gap control. Always on the right side of the puck. His head is on a swivel when retreiving pucks

He was having a very good season before hurting his shoulder, came back and was asked to play a more defensive role with Clague now in the fold

He is also very young for his draft class. Love the pick

A good compliment to Hughes

I’m assuming he has a good shot at making the WJCs with DiPietro

I’m banking on Hughes playing in the NHL next season he didn’t look out of place at the Worlds and apparently he wants to turn pro
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am Like Lockwood, Woo is going to have to learn to pick his spots more when going for the hits.

Try reading the scouting reports, he isn’t reckless abandon like Virtanen and Dumba were in junior. He’s always on the right side of the puck and is very smart when it comes to hitting. Rarely out of position. Doesn’t take stupid penalties
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Now we have Utunen. Another Dman.
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 am
sagebrush wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am Like Lockwood, Woo is going to have to learn to pick his spots more when going for the hits.

Try reading the scouting reports, he isn’t reckless abandon like Virtanen and Dumba were in junior. He’s always on the right side of the puck and is very smart when it comes to hitting. Rarely out of position. Doesn’t take stupid penalties
Defensively responsible, does not take stupid penalties, but likes to make hits & intimidate (blow people up). Lost 28 games due to injury last season. Injury susceptibility was a noted concern for teams considering drafting him.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:05 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 am Now let’s unload vets for 2019 picks!
He should have been unloading veterans since 2015.
Three years behind the curve ain't bad. Some would even consider it "Genius"!

Would definitely have been nice to have a few spare picks rather than 1 short of a full set. Seems like there was a lot of opportunity to grab players that didn't get drafted as high as expected.

Now for my initial reactions to the picks:

Hughes - Happy with what I have read and heard, particularly that JB seems to be going for the guy that he feels has the highest ceiling. Still, feel like we might have missed something on Boqvist but think Hughes should turn into a type of guy that we need and will mesh with our young guns.

Woo - Pretty damn awesome name. Can't help but agree that it seems possibly a bit of a marketing schtick, but as other have indicated we picked him within his projected range. If he is anything like Bieksa in the grit department and more defensively responsible, it's a win.

Madden - Was looking at him prior to the draft and like his high end skill set and while I am a little concerned about the size factor (as with Hughes), I do like JB's swinging for the fences here.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:51 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 am

Defensively responsible, does not take stupid penalties, but likes to make hits & intimidate (blow people up). Lost 28 games due to injury last season. Injury susceptibility was a noted concern for teams considering drafting him.
It’s an injury! It’s hockey! Get over it.

Horvat and Boeser missed a ton of games last season as well. Really not sure why you are fixating on a non permanent injury of a player.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

mathew thiessen G with 192