WC 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12773
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: WC 2018

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:05 am
Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm
So we beat Russia to go onto the semifinals. Shocker was Switzerland beat Finland so we play them next, winner goes onto the gold medal game!

Meanwhile, USA and Sweden playoff in a semifinal as well.
After Finland beat Canada and the U.S. in the preliminary round. I would have offered long odds against that.

Have you seen or heard anything about how it happened ?


Ya. Switzerland scored more goals. Just a guess I’m my part! :mrgreen:

But, Finland took a 1-0 lead then the Swiss scored three quick ones in a row. Finland got one back but that’s as close as they got.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3512
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: WC 2018

Post by Per » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 am

Finland started off great in this tournament, beating Korea 8-1, Latvia 8-1 and Norway 7-0.
Thus far they looked golden, unbeatable. Please note that all three of Sweden, Canada and the USA only managed to beat Latvia with a one goal margin. Canada and the USA in overtime.

Then something happened. Now, Finland is going through a generation change, and I think it shows. They have a lot of young players with tonnes of speed and talent, but lack of experience. They can dance with the best, but they may have troubles unlocking a well played defencive trap.

So, from then on they would lose 3-2 against a crappy team every other game and beat a good team every other:

Finland vs Denmark 2-3, loss
Finland vs Canada 5-1, win
Finland vs Germany 2-3, loss
Finland vs USA 6-2, win

so obviously, when it was time for the quarter final ->

Finland vs Switzerland, 2-3, loss :|

If they had somehow gotten past that, they would have had no problems beating a good team in the semi final. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: WC 2018

Post by Cherry Picker » Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm

The things I will take away from the world championship.

1. When Horvat was named player of the game he looked classy and shook hands warmly with the Swiss player of the game. When Nilsson was named for the Swiss and went towards Kane to shake hands, Kane was all pouty and skated away without shaking hands. Horvat is Captain material. Kane is a twerp.

2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
We are all Jim Benning.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7914
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: WC 2018

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm
2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
lol McDavid has a U18 Gold, a World Junior Gold and already has a World Championship gold (2016). He also turned 21 in January.

User avatar
vic
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: WC 2018

Post by vic » Sat May 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm
The things I will take away from the world championship.

1. When Horvat was named player of the game he looked classy and shook hands warmly with the Swiss player of the game. When Nilsson was named for the Swiss and went towards Kane to shake hands, Kane was all pouty and skated away without shaking hands. Horvat is Captain material. Kane is a twerp.

2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
Pens has good mentors on the ice with Crosby during his first few years, guys like Mario Lemieux, Mark Recchi, John LeClair, Bill Guerin, and Gary Roberts...

Oilers were hoping Ference could mentor McDavid, and when that failed, they brought in Lucic.

Wonder how long until he gets frustrated in EDM and asks for a trade. Could happen if they finish out of the playoffs for another couple of years.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11355
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: WC 2018

Post by RoyalDude » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am

What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?

Horvat is a beaut. Barzal is impressive. I was wrong about him. Thought he was going to be the next Zach Hamil
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7914
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: WC 2018

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am
What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?
At this tourney, for sure the goaltending was junk. It's too bad Carey Price needed a break after that brutal season.

Keep in mind that half of the starting goalies in the NHL's final four, including the guy that may win the Conn Smythe for just getting his team to the finals, are Canadian. Then you have the other workhorses that are probably just worn out from surviving an NHL season (and in some cases a playoff round) like Dubnyk (60 GP), Jones (60), Allen (59 games) etc. etc.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3512
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: WC 2018

Post by Per » Sun May 20, 2018 10:43 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am
What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?
At this tourney, for sure the goaltending was junk. It's too bad Carey Price needed a break after that brutal season.

Keep in mind that half of the starting goalies in the NHL's final four, including the guy that may win the Conn Smythe for just getting his team to the finals, are Canadian. Then you have the other workhorses that are just worn out from surviving an NHL season (and in some cases a playoff round) like Dubnyk (60 GP), Jones (60), Allen (59 games) etc. etc.
Yeah, well, we couldn't get any of our short list choices either.
Had to make do with the backup from a team that wasn't even close to make the playoffs... :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: WC 2018

Post by Hank » Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

Trade him for a 1st rounder.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: WC 2018

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Hank wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm
Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

Trade him for a 1st rounder.
That would be genius-level asset management.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5837
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: WC 2018

Post by Meds » Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm
Hank wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm
Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

Trade him for a 1st rounder.
That would be genius-level asset management.
His stock definitely has gone up. I suppose there's a chance we could get a 6th for him instead of a 7th now.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3512
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: WC 2018

Post by Per » Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Highlights:



Huge save by Nilsson when Fiala had a chance to win the game for the Swiss in ot.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4113
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: WC 2018

Post by micky107 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 am

After it's all said and done, I found what I saw of this tournament rather bland in comparison to previous years.
Maybe it's just me.
Maybe it was the mix of players this year.
"evolution"

Post Reply