WC 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: WC 2018

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:05 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm So we beat Russia to go onto the semifinals. Shocker was Switzerland beat Finland so we play them next, winner goes onto the gold medal game!

Meanwhile, USA and Sweden playoff in a semifinal as well.
After Finland beat Canada and the U.S. in the preliminary round. I would have offered long odds against that.

Have you seen or heard anything about how it happened ?

Ya. Switzerland scored more goals. Just a guess I’m my part! :mrgreen:

But, Finland took a 1-0 lead then the Swiss scored three quick ones in a row. Finland got one back but that’s as close as they got.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Finland started off great in this tournament, beating Korea 8-1, Latvia 8-1 and Norway 7-0.
Thus far they looked golden, unbeatable. Please note that all three of Sweden, Canada and the USA only managed to beat Latvia with a one goal margin. Canada and the USA in overtime.

Then something happened. Now, Finland is going through a generation change, and I think it shows. They have a lot of young players with tonnes of speed and talent, but lack of experience. They can dance with the best, but they may have troubles unlocking a well played defencive trap.

So, from then on they would lose 3-2 against a crappy team every other game and beat a good team every other:

Finland vs Denmark 2-3, loss
Finland vs Canada 5-1, win
Finland vs Germany 2-3, loss
Finland vs USA 6-2, win

so obviously, when it was time for the quarter final ->

Finland vs Switzerland, 2-3, loss :|

If they had somehow gotten past that, they would have had no problems beating a good team in the semi final. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The things I will take away from the world championship.

1. When Horvat was named player of the game he looked classy and shook hands warmly with the Swiss player of the game. When Nilsson was named for the Swiss and went towards Kane to shake hands, Kane was all pouty and skated away without shaking hands. Horvat is Captain material. Kane is a twerp.

2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm 2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
lol McDavid has a U18 Gold, a World Junior Gold and already has a World Championship gold (2016). He also turned 21 in January.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm The things I will take away from the world championship.

1. When Horvat was named player of the game he looked classy and shook hands warmly with the Swiss player of the game. When Nilsson was named for the Swiss and went towards Kane to shake hands, Kane was all pouty and skated away without shaking hands. Horvat is Captain material. Kane is a twerp.

2. McDavd is the most talented player in the world, but I’m not sure he’ll ever win a championship. He is like the complete opposite of clutch. He should have done more in this game, especially at the end with the puck on his stick. You just know Crosby would have scored there. He is trending to be like Ovechkin in that he is one of the best, but never wins the big one. Cole Cassels shutting him down during the memorial cup may have been an accurate predictor of McDavid’s future success. If he is lucky he’ll get a chance to play with Crosby at the next olympics.
Pens has good mentors on the ice with Crosby during his first few years, guys like Mario Lemieux, Mark Recchi, John LeClair, Bill Guerin, and Gary Roberts...

Oilers were hoping Ference could mentor McDavid, and when that failed, they brought in Lucic.

Wonder how long until he gets frustrated in EDM and asks for a trade. Could happen if they finish out of the playoffs for another couple of years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?

Horvat is a beaut. Barzal is impressive. I was wrong about him. Thought he was going to be the next Zach Hamil
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?
At this tourney, for sure the goaltending was junk. It's too bad Carey Price needed a break after that brutal season.

Keep in mind that half of the starting goalies in the NHL's final four, including the guy that may win the Conn Smythe for just getting his team to the finals, are Canadian. Then you have the other workhorses that are probably just worn out from surviving an NHL season (and in some cases a playoff round) like Dubnyk (60 GP), Jones (60), Allen (59 games) etc. etc.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am What has happened to Canada’s goaltending. All the other teams goalies put up brick walls against us but ours were sieves?
At this tourney, for sure the goaltending was junk. It's too bad Carey Price needed a break after that brutal season.

Keep in mind that half of the starting goalies in the NHL's final four, including the guy that may win the Conn Smythe for just getting his team to the finals, are Canadian. Then you have the other workhorses that are just worn out from surviving an NHL season (and in some cases a playoff round) like Dubnyk (60 GP), Jones (60), Allen (59 games) etc. etc.
Yeah, well, we couldn't get any of our short list choices either.
Had to make do with the backup from a team that wasn't even close to make the playoffs... :drink:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

Trade him for a 1st rounder.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Hank wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

That would be genius-level asset management.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm
Hank wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm Anders Nilsson is a WORLD CHAMPION.

That would be genius-level asset management.
His stock definitely has gone up. I suppose there's a chance we could get a 6th for him instead of a 7th now.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Highlights:

Huge save by Nilsson when Fiala had a chance to win the game for the Swiss in ot.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

After it's all said and done, I found what I saw of this tournament rather bland in comparison to previous years.
Maybe it's just me.
Maybe it was the mix of players this year.
"evolution"