2018 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7915
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am
Jake seems to have gotten his shit together
Based solely on watching him play recently, or are you privy to other information? Jake just strikes me as a high-maintenance kind of guy, someone you need to dedicate a lot of time and supervision to in order to ensure they stay effective on the ice. I think Kane is the same kind of player
Not true about Kane, he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete.

Very coach-able too...
Yeah....I don't buy it.

Twitter, alcohol related (?) incidents, fights with teammates .

I know we want assholes Doc, but they should be assholes on the ice, to opposing players.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by ESQ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am

Paul Maurice endorsed the Kane trade and spoke very highly of him.

If coaches like you, but a fat, egotistical piece of shit like Dustin Byfuglien doesn't, I don't think that exactly makes you "high-maintenance".

A fascinating article about his upbringing explains why, as the Good Doc says, he is extremely self-motivated.

Grew up extremely poor, in a rich-kid's sport, subject to an unreal flow of racism from other kids and their parents, and a drill-sergeant for a father who wanted him to achieve what he never had the opportunity to (due to his skin colour).

I'm not saying he's future-captain material, but I think the postives he'd bring (elite scoring) far outweigh his off-ice issues (which, by the way, disappeared a couple of years ago).

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9125
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for that info ESQ, I think we can all agree most of us did some dumb shit in our 20's but matured more with age, sans meds jk. EKane will be turning 27 in August and has traveled quite a bit now in his career, he seems to be hitting his stride this year professionally hopefully after hitting a low-point last offseason, heck if hardcore party boy Kassian can turn it around - anyone can if they really want to.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9595
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Topper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Paul Maurice is known for his sense of humour.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4132
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by micky107 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm still really undecided on Kane. Last couple of years I have bee adamantly against it but right now, where we are and where he seems to be
with the way he presents himself, (and it is way better), I'm leaning about 70/30 in favor of it.
Not at some of the ridiculous dollars I've heard mentioned though.
He would also have to be very, very aware of how overwhelming the local Van. media would be.
"evolution"

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am
Strangelove wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am
Jake seems to have gotten his shit together
Based solely on watching him play recently, or are you privy to other information? Jake just strikes me as a high-maintenance kind of guy, someone you need to dedicate a lot of time and supervision to in order to ensure they stay effective on the ice. I think Kane is the same kind of player
Not true about Kane, he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete.

Very coach-able too...
Yeah....I don't buy it.

Twitter, alcohol related (?) incidents, fights with teammates .
Yes we know all about his off-ice incidents and his blowup with teammates in Winnipeg a few years back.

But like I said, he's very coach-able, even coach Noel in your link, after he left the Jets, said he never had any major problems with Kane.

Nothing in your links disproves what I said: "he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete".

What were you referring to... him being a healthy scratch for a game four full years ago? :eh:

A dedicated athlete...

Image

I'm glad GM isn't here to make fun of me for posting that pic. :)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Richardstroker69 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am
Paul Maurice endorsed the Kane trade and spoke very highly of him.

If coaches like you, but a fat, egotistical piece of shit like Dustin Byfuglien doesn't, I don't think that exactly makes you "high-maintenance".

A fascinating article about his upbringing explains why, as the Good Doc says, he is extremely self-motivated.

Grew up extremely poor, in a rich-kid's sport, subject to an unreal flow of racism from other kids and their parents, and a drill-sergeant for a father who wanted him to achieve what he never had the opportunity to (due to his skin colour).

I'm not saying he's future-captain material, but I think the postives he'd bring (elite scoring) far outweigh his off-ice issues (which, by the way, disappeared a couple of years ago).
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types. Ironically I think Kane would have done a lot better with the twins seeing how they value work effort.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by ESQ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types. Ironically I think Kane would have done a lot better with the twins seeing how they value work effort.
I'd agree with that.

My perception of the Jets is Byfuglien has been pushed to a background role, certainly the media attention is off him and on the young stars like Laine and Scheifele. I think that's played a role in the Jets/Thrashers FINALLY having success.

I missed the historic significance, but Wednesday's game 1 victory was the first playoff win in franchise history!

So again, I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types.
I have said the same on this board from the moment the incident happened.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm
I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.
:thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4132
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by micky107 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types. Ironically I think Kane would have done a lot better with the twins seeing how they value work effort.
I'd agree with that.

My perception of the Jets is Byfuglien has been pushed to a background role, certainly the media attention is off him and on the young stars like Laine and Scheifele. I think that's played a role in the Jets/Thrashers FINALLY having success.

I missed the historic significance, but Wednesday's game 1 victory was the first playoff win in franchise history!

So again, I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.
Speaking of big Buff; how did he get nothing for truly contacting an official in the last regular season game?
"evolution"

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7915
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types.
I have said the same on this board from the moment the incident happened.
lol it’s not me, it’s allllll you guys.

Wheeler is the Captain now, Byfuglien is still a leader, and the Jets are one of the better teams in the league.

I’ll freely admit what you’re saying may be true and Kane could be the physical presence and veteran role model this team needs. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk finding out.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17030
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types.
I have said the same on this board from the moment the incident happened.
lol it’s not me, it’s allllll you guys.

Wheeler is the Captain now, Byfuglien is still a leader, and the Jets are one of the better teams in the league.
It was Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Ladd.

Dicks.

They hated Kane because he wouldn't kowtow to them.

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm
I’ll freely admit what you’re saying may be true and Kane could be the physical presence and veteran role model this team needs. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk finding out.
A top UFA, top line beast, a 26-year-old free asset that might want to come here during a rebuild.

C'mon Nucklehead, you know you want him here. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9595
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Topper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Image

I'm glad GM isn't here to make fun of me for posting that pic. :)
Do you need some tissue?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by ESQ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Wheeler is the Captain now, Byfuglien is still a leader, and the Jets are one of the better teams in the league.
I don't pretend that what I say when it comes to locker room dynamics has any weight, I speak only as the victim of bs cliques, but:

Byfuglien has been the leader there for 8 years, and they've never won a single playoff game until Wednesday.

I would argue that fat bastard has been part of the problem, the solution has been Laine and Schiefele and Ehlers.

Post Reply