2018 Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 Offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am Jake seems to have gotten his shit together
Based solely on watching him play recently, or are you privy to other information? Jake just strikes me as a high-maintenance kind of guy, someone you need to dedicate a lot of time and supervision to in order to ensure they stay effective on the ice. I think Kane is the same kind of player
Not true about Kane, he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete.

Very coach-able too...
Yeah....I don't buy it.

Twitter, alcohol related (?) incidents, fights with teammates .

I know we want assholes Doc, but they should be assholes on the ice, to opposing players.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Paul Maurice endorsed the Kane trade and spoke very highly of him.

If coaches like you, but a fat, egotistical piece of shit like Dustin Byfuglien doesn't, I don't think that exactly makes you "high-maintenance".

A fascinating article about his upbringing explains why, as the Good Doc says, he is extremely self-motivated.

Grew up extremely poor, in a rich-kid's sport, subject to an unreal flow of racism from other kids and their parents, and a drill-sergeant for a father who wanted him to achieve what he never had the opportunity to (due to his skin colour).

I'm not saying he's future-captain material, but I think the postives he'd bring (elite scoring) far outweigh his off-ice issues (which, by the way, disappeared a couple of years ago).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Thanks for that info ESQ, I think we can all agree most of us did some dumb shit in our 20's but matured more with age, sans Mëds jk. EKane will be turning 27 in August and has traveled quite a bit now in his career, he seems to be hitting his stride this year professionally hopefully after hitting a low-point last offseason, heck if hardcore party boy Kassian can turn it around - anyone can if they really want to.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Paul Maurice is known for his sense of humour.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm still really undecided on Kane. Last couple of years I have bee adamantly against it but right now, where we are and where he seems to be
with the way he presents himself, (and it is way better), I'm leaning about 70/30 in favor of it.
Not at some of the ridiculous dollars I've heard mentioned though.
He would also have to be very, very aware of how overwhelming the local Van. media would be.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am
Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am Jake seems to have gotten his shit together
Based solely on watching him play recently, or are you privy to other information? Jake just strikes me as a high-maintenance kind of guy, someone you need to dedicate a lot of time and supervision to in order to ensure they stay effective on the ice. I think Kane is the same kind of player
Not true about Kane, he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete.

Very coach-able too...
Yeah....I don't buy it.

Twitter, alcohol related (?) incidents, fights with teammates .
Yes we know all about his off-ice incidents and his blowup with teammates in Winnipeg a few years back.

But like I said, he's very coach-able, even coach Noel in your link, after he left the Jets, said he never had any major problems with Kane.

Nothing in your links disproves what I said: "he's extremely self-motivated... a dedicated athlete".

What were you referring to... him being a healthy scratch for a game four full years ago? :eh:

A dedicated athlete...

I'm glad GM isn't here to make fun of me for posting that pic. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am Paul Maurice endorsed the Kane trade and spoke very highly of him.

If coaches like you, but a fat, egotistical piece of shit like Dustin Byfuglien doesn't, I don't think that exactly makes you "high-maintenance".

A fascinating article about his upbringing explains why, as the Good Doc says, he is extremely self-motivated.

Grew up extremely poor, in a rich-kid's sport, subject to an unreal flow of racism from other kids and their parents, and a drill-sergeant for a father who wanted him to achieve what he never had the opportunity to (due to his skin colour).

I'm not saying he's future-captain material, but I think the postives he'd bring (elite scoring) far outweigh his off-ice issues (which, by the way, disappeared a couple of years ago).
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types. Ironically I think Kane would have done a lot better with the twins seeing how they value work effort.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm
I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types. Ironically I think Kane would have done a lot better with the twins seeing how they value work effort.
I'd agree with that.

My perception of the Jets is Byfuglien has been pushed to a background role, certainly the media attention is off him and on the young stars like Laine and Scheifele. I think that's played a role in the Jets/Thrashers FINALLY having success.

I missed the historic significance, but Wednesday's game 1 victory was the first playoff win in franchise history!

So again, I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types.
I have said the same on this board from the moment the incident happened.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm
I'd agree with that.

My perception of the Jets is Byfuglien has been pushed to a background role, certainly the media attention is off him and on the young stars like Laine and Scheifele. I think that's played a role in the Jets/Thrashers FINALLY having success.

I missed the historic significance, but Wednesday's game 1 victory was the first playoff win in franchise history!

So again, I don't take it as a bad sign that Kane didn't fit into a dysfunctional Jets locker room.
Speaking of big Buff; how did he get nothing for truly contacting an official in the last regular season game?
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm I think a lot of what went on in Winnipeg was more about how clicky that locker room was. I think byfuglien, wheeler and Ladd were dicks and couldn’t handle different personality types.
lol it’s not me, it’s allllll you guys.

Wheeler is the Captain now, Byfuglien is still a leader, and the Jets are one of the better teams in the league.

I’ll freely admit what you’re saying may be true and Kane could be the physical presence and veteran role model this team needs. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk finding out.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm
lol it’s not me, it’s allllll you guys.

Wheeler is the Captain now, Byfuglien is still a leader, and the Jets are one of the better teams in the league.
It was Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Ladd.

Dicks.

They hated Kane because he wouldn't kowtow to them.

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm I’ll freely admit what you’re saying may be true and Kane could be the physical presence and veteran role model this team needs. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk finding out.
A top UFA, top line beast, a 26-year-old free asset that might want to come here during a rebuild.

C'mon Nucklehead, you know you want him here. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:56 pm Image

I'm glad GM isn't here to make fun of me for posting that pic. :)
Do you need some tissue?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm
I don't pretend that what I say when it comes to locker room dynamics has any weight, I speak only as the victim of bs cliques, but:

Byfuglien has been the leader there for 8 years, and they've never won a single playoff game until Wednesday.

I would argue that fat bastard has been part of the problem, the solution has been Laine and Schiefele and Ehlers.