Captain my Captian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Captain my Captian

Post by Cornuck »

I'm on the fence with this - on one hand, Horvat seems like the logical choice and has been here long enough and should have received enough mentorship / training on what it takes to be a captain in the NHL. On the other hand, the next season will likely be a bit of a shit storm and will be hard for anyone who's pointed at as a leader on this team.

As for timing - maybe it would be good to hand the team over to him early (next game?) rather than wait all summer and saddle him with at training camp.

I'm surprised nobody's suggested Markstrom yet! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I just don't see any controversies on who's the next captain of your Vancouver Canucks.

It will be Bo. The C can't go to a placeholder, but the A will probably go to vets like Sutter and Edler. It will be announced later around the draft or towards the season in deference to the Sedins.

That will give young guys like Brock time to develop his leadership role and eventually he'll be part of the leadership group.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat is built like a young Sammy the Bull, while Sutter is built like Bambi.

#53 true Canadian captain material - Bo it is...the leader of the next Canucks generation.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

It's gotta be Horvat. Having a place-holder Captain makes little sense unless it's clear to management that none of the kids are ready for it. IMO, Horvat has ripened enough under the Twins that if he can't do it next season, when will he ever? None of the other younger players come close. This is what Horvat's been groomed to be since he made the team. Hell, he's the poster child for the re-tool/rebuild/whatever-they've-been-doing so why not?

That said, while he is the presumptive heir apparent, a final test run and competition in camp next Fall isn't a bad idea. They can make their final decision at the end of camp. They have time.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:09 pm It will be Bo. The C can't go to a placeholder, but the A will probably go to vets like Sutter and Edler. It will be announced later around the draft or towards the season in deference to the Sedins.
Having a couple vets with the A would be best. Not sold on Sutter, but having someone like Edler or Gudbranson would help.

Hate the League.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Goldobin or Leipsic

:roll:

Bo without a doubt
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Lancer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm Having a couple vets with the A would be best. Not sold on Sutter, but having someone like Edler or Gudbranson would help.
You know Green loves him some Sutter Butter (<- Oh noes, am I becoming a WeeTodd?)

If Dorsett was still playing, you know he would get the other A.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Is there any benefit to Horvat's development if he gets the C?

Is there any benefit to him being the point person for a lousy local media in what will be a possibly-awful season?

To me, there's no upside to putting him in that position, so why do it.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:27 pm If Dorsett was still playing, you know he would get the other A.
Again, I wish it was Sutter or Ericksson and not Dorsett with the career-ending injury. He's been missed ever since he retired. Could have given Archibald some mentorship before handing over the reins.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm Is there any benefit to Horvat's development if he gets the C?

Is there any benefit to him being the point person for a lousy local media in what will be a possibly-awful season?

To me, there's no upside to putting him in that position, so why do it.
Bo is doing a lot of the media already so that's no issue, his goal is to be the leader - he'll probably thrive in that role, says he wants to have a long Canuck career like the Sedins, and like the sedins he's always working hard on and off the ice, he helps the young guns when they arrive on the team, solid in the community.

He'll likely be a better player in the captain role.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ESQ wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm Is there any benefit to Horvat's development if he gets the C?
Absolutely! If he's deserved of the role and honour why placate fans or media with a placeholder when the real leader of the team is currently playing as one of the best players. As long as the team thinks he's ready he should be given the captaincy!
ESQ wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm Is there any benefit to him being the point person for a lousy local media in what will be a possibly-awful season?
I believe there is, he's very well spoken and understands what the team is doing and that there may be struggles. I've always said the best winners need to learn how to lose before they can learn how to win! Armed with the knowledge that this team isn't expected to be an overwhelming success for at least a couple more years I don't see a downside to having Horvat learn to deal with the attention now. When we are back to expecting wins and then the team doesn't perform that's where the real tough questions come in, learn to deal with some struggles now when expectations are lower and he will be far better off for the future!
ESQ wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm To me, there's no upside to putting him in that position, so why do it.
I see a lot of upside, it can even further his confidence level. It can help spread his work ethic and attitude within the team!

I can see him being an even bigger part of the team as the captain......if he's ready! And the team and management know far better than we do.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bo knows
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

rats19 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pmBo knows
....Canucks
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:45 pm
rats19 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pmBo knows
....Canucks
Si...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

If the team struggles next year, i.e. they don't land Tavares, Dahlin, Karlsson, Carlson and Kane then whoever wears the "C" is going to be bombarded by the media asking how losing the twins has affected the room and questioning whether or not it was a wise choice to give the letter to whoever gets it.

Better be someone who can handle the pressure.