Captain my Captian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Captain my Captian

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 am
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 pm]
Oh God, I hope I don't vomit too much.
No doubt. All the theatrics with todays pro sports cant get any cheesier
That is what is happening in all sports, not a big fan myself. Want to watch a game not 5 minutes of introduction unless it is a special night.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I have no problem with Danne and Hank coming down to the Rog for a standing 'O', and handing out the letter's to the new leadership core.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BladesofSteel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am I have no problem with Danne and Hank coming down to the Rog for a standing 'O', and handing out the letter's to the new leadership core.
Sure why not? Maybe bring in Smyl, Messier, Linden, McCarthy etc and make a night of it. Let them all ride around the ice on a float
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 am
BladesofSteel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am I have no problem with Danne and Hank coming down to the Rog for a standing 'O', and handing out the letter's to the new leadership core.
Sure why not? Maybe bring in Smyl, Messier, Linden, McCarthy etc and make a night of it. Let them all ride around the ice on a float
lol 50/50 that they will do this.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm not sure the Sedins will want to be there on opening night. They'll probably prefer to show up once in a while at a random mid-week game.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 am The captaincy is not as much about marketing as it is about team leadership and knowledge of the game, (in order to gain respect with officials).
A little "marketing" as you say is alright but not necessary.
Just let him show up wearing it.
I think that would be awesome.
I am talking about the Canuck's marketing the fact that they will showcase their new captain, use it to sell tickets etc. The marketing I am talking about has nothing to do with what you indicated.
Ya, I know what you are talking about.
I also think it's stupid to market a C.
I do think it's important to have a captain on the team as opposed to 3 As.
If your thinking about some lame-ass shit like making a big boner night with Henrik & Daniel coming back for 33 to hand the C over to 53,
I will tell you, I wouldn't even watch it or go if someone gave me a free ticket and drove me in a limo (well it depends on the fringe benefits in the limo).
FFS; We the team has tried to market a captain before. Didn't work too well.
Until they ripped it from his chest and gave it to Henrik.
"evolution"
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Wow, such animosity. Didn’t realize people had such strong feelings about honouring important ambassadors.

Vancouver has a rich tradition of quality individuals leading the franchise. Hank and Daniel trumped anything Naslund, Linden and Smyl ever accomplished.

What’s the big issue with them handing over the honour to the next player to take over such a highly regarded honour?
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

BladesofSteel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am Wow, such animosity. Didn’t realize people had such strong feelings about honouring important ambassadors.

Vancouver has a rich tradition of quality individuals leading the franchise. Hank and Daniel trumped anything Naslund, Linden and Smyl ever accomplished.

What’s the big issue with them handing over the honour to the next player to take over such a highly regarded honour?
Because real leaders have a good dose of modesty; if anything it's better done in the dressing room.

Have to admit Mick is right on this one.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Such a ceremony has nothing to do with ones modesty or even character for that matter.

It’s simply an opportunity for the fans to extend their appreciation to the Sedins for displaying such a high level of integrity, respect and success throughout the years, while ushering in the undisputed successor.

Given the high level of modesty the twins and Bo carry, they’d obviously hate the idea of such a ceremony.

But it is an important title nonetheless and many fans would appreciate the chance to witness a changing of the guard, so to speak.

I for one think it is hokey, but I can at least acknowledge my own appreciation for what the Sedins did, and certainly look forward to what Bo can accomplish given his own intangibles.

I guess I’ve just got bigger fish fry when it comes to complaining about owenerships agenda.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It's still summer ... well, barely. All the big fish have been fried to death and this is what we're left to argue about. Glad you agree it's hokey.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

BladesofSteel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am Wow, such animosity. Didn’t realize people had such strong feelings about honouring important ambassadors.

The Sedins are in for a glorious tribute when their jerseys are raised, which I believe will be sooner than later.

To me, the Captaincy is a current issue and should not involve past, even recent past, players at all.
And what would you do with Daniel's A?

Anyways, when the time comes, I'm sure Bo, or whoever, will say a few words.

To make a "twinsition" night just doesn't seem right.

Not too sure how many teams have had celebration nights for the allocation of the Captaincy.

No hard feelings, cause I understand the way you feel.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

My new nomination for Canucks captain is Jay Beagle, watching the training camp clips - he's vocal out there, takes leadership, he's the most fit of the bunch apparently with his supreme work ethic, while others were puking from the bag skate, Beags was going strong, and he has a sense of humour aha.

Beagle captain, Horvat and Edler as alternates.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Beagle certainly is comfortable in front of the media.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 pm My new nomination for Canucks captain is Jay Beagle, watching the training camp clips - he's vocal out there, takes leadership, he's the most fit of the bunch apparently with his supreme work ethic, while others were puking from the bag skate, Beags was going strong, and he has a sense of humour aha.

My understanding is that part of the motivation to bring him to the organization was his leadership qualities. It's good to see evidence that this management group got what they paid for in a free agent this time.

I enjoy imagining that Beagle's positive on-ice traits will influence the many youngsters in the organization.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 pm My new nomination for Canucks captain is Jay Beagle, watching the training camp clips - he's vocal out there, takes leadership, he's the most fit of the bunch apparently with his supreme work ethic, while others were puking from the bag skate, Beags was going strong, and he has a sense of humour aha.

It’s basically Crazy Horse vs Sitting Bull vs Red Cloud vs Chief Dan George
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”