So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:29 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm I’m the conscience of the board.
No wonder the hockey gods hate us...
Ouch ... don’t blame me
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:50 pm This board could use another poster who doesn’t cowtow to the cult
Many sports fanbases are cult-like.

YOU were a member in good standing of this particular cult

... when the Sedins were in their prime.

The Ginger Clone Cult.
I’m the conscience of the board. You are riding Elmer’s dink like a pogo stick. But we are still buddies :drink:
Why the fuck are you commenting on Jim’s dad? What’s your issue?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I’m the conscience of the board.
You're unconscious
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning was prepared to offer up a one year deal. It never got that far though, they decided to hang them up. I have no idea what type of money he was prepared to go with but if they had wanted to come back he would have made the offer.

Family was the biggest reason, followed closely by them feeling their role was ever diminishing and they didn’t want to be in the way of developing the next core, ie taking a roster spot and ice time. I think hockey is just not fun for them right now so it’s time to move on.
The only HW the Canucks need
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Put me in the camp that thought they would be coming back for one more year. It all seems so sudden but that’s the way they wanted it. Amazing players, amazing people - we can only hope this next crop of young players bring us back to the glory years the Sedins took us all through.
Thanks 22 & 33.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm Elmer
Why the fuck are you commenting on Jim’s dad? What’s your issue?
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ed ... -with-habs

Issues... far too many to deal with.

Blob is a twisted bitter man who can't handle a rebuild.

Folks like Blob will always take out their frustrations on the GM.

The Pope himself could be GM... and Blob & Co. would be crucifying him.

Blob is completely consumed by hatred, don't think he's gonna make it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

True class acts and a couple of the hardest working players in hockey! Pretty glad they decided to end their careers as Canucks.

Sad to see them go but excited to see what the future brings.

Just wished for one more win!!
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm Benning was prepared to offer up a one year deal. It never got that far though, they decided to hang them up. I have no idea what type of money he was prepared to go with but if they had wanted to come back he would have made the offer.

Family was the biggest reason, followed closely by them feeling their role was ever diminishing and they didn’t want to be in the way of developing the next core, ie taking a roster spot and ice time. I think hockey is just not fun for them right now so it’s time to move on.
but they are outperforming bunch of other placeholders on this team.

Oh they got tired of playing with placeholders
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm Benning was prepared to offer up a one year deal. It never got that far though, they decided to hang them up. I have no idea what type of money he was prepared to go with but if they had wanted to come back he would have made the offer.

but they are outperforming bunch of other placeholders on this team.

Oh they got tired of playing with placeholders

Ya, in his presser Hank said they can’t just stay around to be mentors or they would never leave. They both said they started seriously contemplating this in Nov and as the season wore on they became more convinced it was the right decision. I think they know they won’t be playing when this team is competitive again and they don’t want a diminishing role as mentors that has no near end in sight. It’s just time.

Fear Benning come July 1st. I don’t trust him in the UFA market.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hank wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm Newell Brown powerplay coach: now what the fcuk am I gonna do next season.
Brock, Pettersson & Dahlin ;)
Ha possibilities bru, & maybe Newell Brown will finally use Loui Eriksson on the powerplay, this season he's 12th on the team in powerplay ice time :o behind: Boeser, Sedins, Vanek, Edler, Horvat, Gagner, Baertschi, Pouliot, MDZ and Granlund.

Eriksson final season with the Bruins, Claude Julien had him setup around the net where Loui netted 10 powerplay goals and 7 pp assists, part of the reason I think CJ wants Loui again on the Habs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benning won't have the owners breathing down his neck to get the team to return the team to instant glory like back when he was hired though.

So with the Twins retiring I imagine a couple more vets decide to move on, now JB can be like the Bruins and NYR and deal some vets for picks and prospects, keep massive cap space, unless a Tavares, Carlson or Karlsson decide to come here ha.

Kane though seems to be consensus choice to sign, but I wouldn't go anything over $6M per, so with that I can see some other team overpaying for him, heck could be SJ.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pm Benning won't have the owners breathing down his neck to get the team to return the team to instant glory like back when he was hired though.

So with the Twins retiring I imagine a couple more vets decide to move on, now JB can be like the Bruins and NYR and deal some vets for picks and prospects, keep massive cap space, unless a Tavares, Carlson or Karlsson decide to come here ha.

Kane though seems to be consensus choice to sign, but I wouldn't go anything over $6M per, so with that I can see some other team overpaying for him, heck could be SJ.
I'd keep Edler. Reup him for two years. I'd trade Tanev, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Hutton and maybe Gagne.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:55 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pm Benning won't have the owners breathing down his neck to get the team to return the team to instant glory like back when he was hired though.

I'd keep Edler. Reup him for two years. I'd trade Tanev, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Hutton and maybe Gagne.
At this point, I'd keep Edler too. We're too weak on D right now. No NMC though.

Tanev needs to be moved off the lot in the summer. He's our biggest chip. Chance of further depreciation is too great to keep him around.

Baertschi, Grandlund, Hutton, Gaunce... I would pump and dump. I don't see them as future core here. They're young and could still have some value to other teams. Some prospects who might be ready will have to wait until some or all is gone.

Gagner, MDZ... vets you have to dump if you get any kind of interest. Unlikely to happen at all but there might be a chance at TDD.

Loui... swap of bad contracts?

Foundation... if anyone wants him for the stretch drive, do it. Probably won't happen unless you take back worse shit. Probably only movable as an expiring contract.

Say no to bringing back Vanek or Jokinen.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Hommage. Vivre le Sedins libre.

Old Olli & Thomas can come back for a year & substitute if more mentorship is required. No need to panic & go crazy with the cap. Keep building with youth.
Last edited by sagebrush on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:55 pm I'd keep Edler. Reup him for two years. I'd trade Tanev, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Hutton and maybe Gagne.
Be interesting to see what happens after this season for sure, a true 2011 tear down is almost complete.

Small potatoes but I'd keep Gagner, need all the center help we can get after the Henrik is gone.
For the time being he'd be like a poor mans Bryan Little on the Jets who was their 2nd line C behind Scheifele before they traded for Stastny.

Gagner will be the #2C placeholder till Pettersson earns his stripes after awhile learning his trade sheltered on the 3rd line.

Horvat
Gagner
Pettersson
Gaudette with Sutter taking F/O, then shift to RW.

MDZ you keep as Green loves him + he could be a valuable trade chip at the 2019 trade deadline.