2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If we have the 2nd Pick Overall who do you pick?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Filip Zadinasix-foot, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
7
27%
Andrei Svechnikov,RW, six-foot-two, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL)
8
31%
Brady Tkachuk, six-foot-three, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA)
7
27%
Adam Boqvist D, five-foot-11, 168 pounds (Brynas Jr.)
2
8%
Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, six-foot-one, 205 pounds (USNTDP)
0
No votes
Noah Dobson, D, six-foot-three, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL)
1
4%
Evan Bouchard, D, six-foot-two, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL)
1
4%
Quinn Hughes, D, five-foot-10, 170 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA)
0
No votes
Barrett Hayton, C, six-foot-one, 191 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL)
0
No votes
Rasmus Kupari, C, six-foot-one, 183 pounds (Karpat, Finnish Liiga)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Puck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am

SKYO beat me to it, but ...

Alex Mogliny, Igor Larionov and Artem Chubarov are wondering what happened to Lancer's memory.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am

Puck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am
SKYO beat me to it, but ...

Alex Mogliny, Igor Larionov and Artem Chubarov are wondering what happened to Lancer's memory.
Chubarov is actually a particularly relevant example here. He was doing reasonably well as a Canuck -- good not great -- and decided to return home to play, leaving the organization with nothing to show for the the asset.

That seems to be the recent pattern with Russian players: if they can be stars in the NHL, then that's their first choice, but if they're going to be foot-soldiers, better to play at home. (And that seems to me like a perfectly reasonable calculation on their part.)

I'd say that's the Russian Factor: if you don't pick a star, you don't get a serviceable NHL player as a consolation prize -- you get nothing at all.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Meds » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am
Puck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am
SKYO beat me to it, but ...

Alex Mogliny, Igor Larionov and Artem Chubarov are wondering what happened to Lancer's memory.
Chubarov is actually a particularly relevant example here. He was doing reasonably well as a Canuck -- good not great -- and decided to return home to play, leaving the organization with nothing to show for the the asset.

That seems to be the recent pattern with Russian players: if they can be stars in the NHL, then that's their first choice, but if they're going to be foot-soldiers, better to play at home. (And that seems to me like a perfectly reasonable calculation on their part.)

I'd say that's the Russian Factor: if you don't pick a star, you don't get a serviceable NHL player as a consolation prize -- you get nothing at all.
And outside of Malkin, what Russian star has done much damage in the playoffs over the past decade?

It’s worth noting that Malkin plays in Crosby’s shadow and he doesn’t make his teammates better, their stats just get artificially inflated if they happen to touch the puck.

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2907
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am
Chubarov is actually a particularly relevant example here. He was doing reasonably well as a Canuck -- good not great -- and decided to return home to play, leaving the organization with nothing to show for the the asset.

That seems to be the recent pattern with Russian players: if they can be stars in the NHL, then that's their first choice, but if they're going to be foot-soldiers, better to play at home. (And that seems to me like a perfectly reasonable calculation on their part.)
Except that Chubarov was drafted out of Russia, we didn't come over to play his junior hockey in North America!

One would think that if they're coming over as teenagers they may be more inclined to stay and play in the NHL after being drafted. In particular players taken in the first round where teams are going to put more effort into seeing them succeed!

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2907
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am

Meds wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am
And outside of Malkin, what Russian star has done much damage in the playoffs over the past decade?

It’s worth noting that Malkin plays in Crosby’s shadow and he doesn’t make his teammates better, their stats just get artificially inflated if they happen to touch the puck.
Kucherov in 2016, 2015

Kovalchuk in 2012

Ovechkin in 2009

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 am
One would think that if they're coming over as teenagers they may be more inclined to stay and play in the NHL after being drafted. In particular players taken in the first round where teams are going to put more effort into seeing them succeed!
Sure, maybe, but it's a chance you're not taking with a North American kid, so i think you have to like the Russian player a lot more to make the extra risk worth your while.

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2907
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am
Aaronp18 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 am
One would think that if they're coming over as teenagers they may be more inclined to stay and play in the NHL after being drafted. In particular players taken in the first round where teams are going to put more effort into seeing them succeed!
Sure, maybe, but it's a chance you're not taking with a North American kid, so i think you have to like the Russian player a lot more to make the extra risk worth your while.
This is where the interview process can pay dividends, and it's something the public will never know about! It could be why he's taken or why he drops several spots.

If he hints at going to the KHL if he doesn't make the NHL out of junior I'll bet he drops, if he's committed to possibly spending some time in the AHL to earn his way intop the NHL he probably gets taken earlier.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by SKYO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

Meds wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am
Puck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am
SKYO beat me to it, but ...

Alex Mogliny, Igor Larionov and Artem Chubarov are wondering what happened to Lancer's memory.
Chubarov is actually a particularly relevant example here. He was doing reasonably well as a Canuck -- good not great -- and decided to return home to play, leaving the organization with nothing to show for the the asset.

That seems to be the recent pattern with Russian players: if they can be stars in the NHL, then that's their first choice, but if they're going to be foot-soldiers, better to play at home. (And that seems to me like a perfectly reasonable calculation on their part.)

I'd say that's the Russian Factor: if you don't pick a star, you don't get a serviceable NHL player as a consolation prize -- you get nothing at all.
And outside of Malkin, what Russian star has done much damage in the playoffs over the past decade?

It’s worth noting that Malkin plays in Crosby’s shadow and he doesn’t make his teammates better, their stats just get artificially inflated if they happen to touch the puck.

The Russian factor is more noted for fringe Russian players, depth guys, or the types who are floaters/lazy, as in Russia everything is given to them - easier to succeed, whereas in the NHL you obviously have to earn a spot, compete hard everyday, but you combine a Russian with talent and solid work ethic and you're going to succeed in the NHL.

Larionov touches on this.
"With all respect to the KHL," Larionov added, "the players in the NHL have got more of an everyday reality check. The competition is so high, so you have to compete every night. You are always in the public eye with the way you play. Like [Wednesday] they were showing Ovechkin all night long. They show everything – how you compete, how you're doing – and that's what makes the players realize, there is no easy way to make money. You have to compete every single day and when a new day starts, you have to prove again that you deserve to be here.

"That's the highest level of competition. That's why these [NHL]players are better. That's why they're maturing very quickly, because of that level of competition. That's why Malkin and Datsyuk play here, and why they play key roles, and why they're top players in the league."
Typically a Russian star player just wants to play in the pros' and get good minutes, you give them that and they're happy, seems simple, but it's complex in that are they worthy of such gestures?
Svechnikov seems the type to succeed in the NHL with his high scoring prowess, two-way ability, NHL size and high compete level, he's already playing in North America, so that'll help with his transition, not like Tryamkin who knew no English and was probably a bit cultured shocked when he arrived.

As for Russians in the playoffs:

Pavel Datsyuk won a couple cups, he was elite, last Cup win 10 years ago in 2008.

Kucherov looks well on his way to leading his team to a Cup.
playoffs: 45gp, 22g, 20a, 42pts

Malkin. :thumbs:

Tarasenko is money in the playoffs for the Blues
44gp, 22g, 10a, 32pts

Ovechkin Caps playoffs:
97gp, 46g, 44a, 90pts

Blues/Caps are the same as Canucks - almost!
-------

Having said all that, if you want to go bold, the RedWings would probably jump at the chance to move up to #2 overall to select Svechnikov, as they got his brother and Andrei said he'd love to play with his bro on the Wings.
https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/andre ... -296043138

Detroit's 1st rounder could potentially be 7th overall where Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson could all be available.
They also have two 1st rounders this draft (Vegas) and two 2nd rounders.

I'd demand Mantha, a 2018 Det 1st and a 2019 Det or NYI 2nd.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

DHA
CC Veteran
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by DHA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

If the Canucks were to draft Svechnikov do you think the first call he makes to suss us out is to Tryamkin? Does drafting Svenchnikov give us a better chance of getting Tryamkin back asap?! or would Tryamkin sour Svenchnikov on Canucks?!!!

Quin Hughes is and interesting player, his Dad was the skills Coach for the Toronto Maple Leaves for some time and his brother Jack is a early projection to go #1 in 2019 Draft in Vancouver - I have seen Jack Hughes play quite a few times leading up to the Bantam Draft at Tournaments in New York, Toronto and Winipeg and I have not seen a more skilled forward in the 2001 group in North America, but my #1 pick as a forward for the 2019 Draft is Dillon Cozens from Whitehorse at 6'2'' He brings speed, skill, high hockey iq and a unforgiving compete level - he was scoring goals as a 15 year old for Lethbridge Hurricanes during playoffs last year!. The 2019 Draft is loaded with BC Kids that have come up through the CSSHL league. I digress...

I think Benning may not go for the best player if we have the number two pick, I think he goes for a D-man and I think he will take Adam Boqvist

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am

SKYO wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

Having said all that, if you want to go bold, the RedWings would probably jump at the chance to move up to #2 overall to select Svechnikov, as they got his brother and Andrei said he'd love to play with his bro on the Wings.
https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/andre ... -296043138

Detroit's 1st rounder could potentially be 7th overall where Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson could all be available.
They also have two 1st rounders this draft (Vegas) and two 2nd rounders.

I'd demand Mantha, a 2018 Det 1st and a 2019 Det or NYI 2nd.
If the Canucks don't get the first overall, I like the idea of them trading down for more picks in any case. The package you suggest from Detroit would be enough for me.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by ESQ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am
SKYO wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

Having said all that, if you want to go bold, the RedWings would probably jump at the chance to move up to #2 overall to select Svechnikov, as they got his brother and Andrei said he'd love to play with his bro on the Wings.
https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/andre ... -296043138

Detroit's 1st rounder could potentially be 7th overall where Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson could all be available.
They also have two 1st rounders this draft (Vegas) and two 2nd rounders.

I'd demand Mantha, a 2018 Det 1st and a 2019 Det or NYI 2nd.
If the Canucks don't get the first overall, I like the idea of them trading down for more picks in any case. The package you suggest from Detroit would be enough for me.
Mantha is Detroit's 3rd-best player, and at 23 he's one of the future core there along with Larkin and Athanasiou.

With the depth of this year's draft class, I think I'd prefer holding out for the extra Vegas-1st than paying the price for Mantha.

User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Puck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:04 am
Puck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am
SKYO beat me to it, but ...

Alex Mogliny, Igor Larionov and Artem Chubarov are wondering what happened to Lancer's memory.
Chubarov is actually a particularly relevant example here. He was doing reasonably well as a Canuck -- good not great -- and decided to return home to play, leaving the organization with nothing to show for the the asset.
I recall that both parties wanted him to stay but the Canucks couldn't afford to pay what the KHL was offering. However, that doesn't really change your point regarding the "footsoldier" mentality and that the risk of leaving is always a possibility.

Another playoff guy: Sergei Fedorov?

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11423
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Lol Detroit doesn’t touch that deal
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11947
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Yeah if we get bumped out of the top 4 the trade back option may be a good idea. The islanders could have two lottery picks :drink:
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17603
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Strangelove » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm
Yeah if we get bumped out of the top 4 the trade back option may be a good idea. The islanders could have two lottery picks :drink:
Yeah but they might be 1st overall and 2nd overall.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Post Reply