2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If we have the 2nd Pick Overall who do you pick?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Filip Zadinasix-foot, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
27%
Andrei Svechnikov,RW, six-foot-two, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL)
31%
Brady Tkachuk, six-foot-three, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA)
27%
Adam Boqvist D, five-foot-11, 168 pounds (Brynas Jr.)
8%
Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, six-foot-one, 205 pounds (USNTDP)
No votes
Noah Dobson, D, six-foot-three, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL)
4%
Evan Bouchard, D, six-foot-two, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL)
4%
Quinn Hughes, D, five-foot-10, 170 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA)
No votes
Barrett Hayton, C, six-foot-one, 191 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL)
No votes
Rasmus Kupari, C, six-foot-one, 183 pounds (Karpat, Finnish Liiga)
No votes

Total votes: 26

DHA
CC Veteran

2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by DHA »

Testing the collective Canucks Corner hockey brain trust to see if the board is leaning towards a defensemen or top forward like Andrei Svechnikov. Will Jim go off the board as many pundits thought on the Pettersson pick? If we got the second pick who would you take?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Chef Boi RD »

1st pick - Dahlin

If we are picking 2nd,hate to say it - Tkachuk

If we are picking 3rd, whoever is left Tkachuk and Svechnikov

If picking 4th, if Tkachuck and Svecnhnikov are gone. It's Zadina, but me thinks if this is a scenario I could see a trade back for one of Boqvist, Bouchard or Hughes. Some serious risers in the top 10, that Finnish centre and Whalstrom. Gotta keep those two in mind.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Trade down two spots get another first rounder and take Tkachuk.
With Virtanen, Boeser, Lind, and Dahlen all RWers the Canucks don’t need any more help there.
If they can’t get Dahlin, getting Tkachuk on the left side would be best for the team since they only have Baertschi, Leipsic and ummm Reeves on that side.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah really hoping for one of Tkachuk or Dahlin. Obviously Dahlin is what we need the most but I think we need a Tkachuk type more than we do a Svechnikov or a Zadina. Got enough snipers with Boeser and Pettersson not too mention Gaudette, Lind and Dahlen are good goal hounds. Missing that Tkachuk type in the top 6
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I think you have to go with Zadina.

As much as we could use an asshole or two in the top-6, I'm just a bit leery drafting a younger brother when the older brother is looking like he's going to be a talent. There are just too many Steve Kariya's and Rob Niedermayer's out there. Drafting Brady Tkachuk seems like another case of that. Big brother Matt was better than a point per game player in the USHL and then went to the OHL and flat out killed it with 107 points in 57 games, he followed that up with 40 points in 18 playoff games.....little brother Brady hasn't been a point per game player since Bantam, and he hasn't even recorded playoff stats yet in his career.

Zadina was a beaut at the WJC. He carried his team. His shot was probably the best of any player in the tournament. He has wheels to spare and already plays a 200 foot game.

I wouldn't draft a Russian. Way too high risk.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

At this point it’s a coin toss between Brady and Zadina, but I like the Russian too. It’s a good draft and to me I’d be ok picking anywhere in the top 8 but would obviously love Dahlin. Ty Smith is a heck of a good d man too.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bouchard has insane offensive numbers in the OHL this season, but it leaves me skeptical. This Finn centre Kontiemi is rising very fast along with Wahlstrom

Boqvist and Hughes strike me as boom or bust types, no middle ground
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm Bouchard has insane offensive numbers in the OHL this season, but it leaves me skeptical. This Finn centre Kontiemi is rising very fast along with Wahlstrom

Bouchard is a better player than Juolevi ever was when Oli was here... IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE...
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 pm

As much as we could use an asshole or two in the top-6, I'm just a bit leery drafting a younger brother when the older brother is looking like he's going to be a talent. There are just too many Steve Kariya's and Rob Niedermayer's out there. Drafting Brady Tkachuk seems like another case of that.
Was thinking the same thing, but if he was good they would see each other 8 times a year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

olpaddy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:52 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm Bouchard has insane offensive numbers in the OHL this season, but it leaves me skeptical. This Finn centre Kontiemi is rising very fast along with Wahlstrom

Bouchard is a better player than Juolevi ever was when Oli was here... IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE...
Your takings after the consensus top 4, paddy. You usually hit it out of the park, ie Boeser
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:14 pm
olpaddy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Your takings after the consensus top 4, paddy. You usually hit it out of the park, ie Boeser
Its way to early for suren if we slide out of the sweet spot I wouldn't mind him but I kinda like all the forwards more than all of the blueliners early with the exception of 1...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

A bit torn between Svechnikov and Zadina - Svechnikov probably a better player overall but Zadina is very close and has that ‘it’ factor where he seems to play his best at he biggest moments.

Throw in the Russian factor and I went with Zadina.

Any player other that those two? Trade down to 4-6 and pick up an extra asset. Those two guys are easily the next best after Dahlin.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 pm A bit torn between Svechnikov and Zadina - Svechnikov probably a better player overall but Zadina is very close and has that ‘it’ factor where he seems to play his best at he biggest moments.
Doing some research on the ol' interwebs:
Filip Zadina QMJHL (current: 54gp, 42g, 35a, 77pts, 1.4ppg)
Hlinka-U18: 4gp, 5g, 2a, 7pts
WJC-20: 7gp, 7g, 1a, 8pts

Andrei Svechnikov: (button compares his game to an in prime Marian Hossa).
Current: OHL - 41gp, 37g, 29a, 66pts (1.6ppg) was injured for 15 games.
Hlinka-U18: 5gp, 4g, 1a, 5pts
WJC-20: 5gp, 0g, 5a, 5pts (not as much minutes as the scouts would have liked to see)

Svechnikov is the bigger player and the better skater.
Zadina is the more agile skater, fluid, but he's not a speedster lol.
Zadina is the more accurate shooter, but Svechnikov has a more powerful shot also in the stats Svechnikov goals were from all over o-zone (proving his shot is more powerful enough to score far out), while Zadina primarily scored closer to the net.

I'd say Svechnikov is the better passer over Zadina.
Zadina is the better dangler, stick skills elite.

Svechnikov is better defensively and physically, also plays a more power game vs Zadina, helps he's 6'3, just needs to add mass.

IQ gotta go to with Svechnikov, he's a quiet leader, high compete level, never takes a shift off.
Barrie Colts GM Jason Ford was on THN podcast and said besides the numbers, the thing that amazes him most about Andrei Svechnikov is all the work he does off ice and that he's always their hardest worker. Compete level always there and is a role model to others on the team.
Same with Zadina he's a workhorse as well as in practice, both intense players.

Svechy is 5 months younger than Zadina, also of note scoring in the OHL is harder vs QMJHL.

Interesting, may not mean much, but Zadina declined to play for the Vancouver Giants and played in Europe one more season, then went to the Mooseheads.
Canucks never seem to do well with Czech players or had much luck with them, but have done well with some Russians in Larionov, Bure, Mogilny heck even Tryamkin before his wife wanted to go back to Russia and Willie didn't give him a lot of minutes.

Svechnikov has a bit of Ovechkin/Tarasenko and Hossa blend of skills, good power scoring skills with an all round ability, while Zadina is the stick handling magician with a sniper of a shot.

I'd say overall - the power, size & all round skills of Svechnikov would be more beneficial for the Canucks if they land 2nd OA.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The Russian factor. Bure is the only Russian this club has picked that did anything notable - and we know how that ended. Some clubs prosper with Russians, but not this one. In a split between Svechnikov and Zadina, I’d opt for Zadina. That said, if Benning has the 2nd overall pick, I hope he comes away with Tkachuk. If he’s the better Tkachuk kid as some say, and seeing what his brother is doing in Calgary, Benning would be foolish to pass him up.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 am The Russian factor. Bure is the only Russian this club has picked that did anything notable - and we know how that ended. Some clubs prosper with Russians, but not this one. In a split between Svechnikov and Zadina, I’d opt for Zadina.
I think it was the old school mentality on not picking many Russians before, but the Canucks when they got the Russians that had skill to play regular NHL games, they were good. Yes Pavel Bure was the best but lets not forget...

Igor Larionov:
"The former 11th round, 214th overall draft pick by the Canucks in 1986 would spend his first three NHL seasons in Vancouver, totaling 51 goals and 92 assists in 210 games."
Alex Mogilny:
"After the likes of Krutov, Larionov and Bure joining the team in the late 80s and early 90s, Mogilny was another high-profile Russian forward who was acquired by the Canucks, coming over in a trade from the Buffalo Sabres. He scored 55 goals and 107 points in 79 games with Vancouver in 1995-96, making him the second Canucks player to ever score 50 or more goals, behind Bure."

In his next four years with the team, Mogilny didn’t reach the same elite level offensively (84 goals in 233 games), but still put up respectable numbers and totaled 308 points in 312 games with the franchise.
Artem CHUBAROV!
"Artem Chubarov played all of his 228 NHL games with the Canucks in parts of five seasons; statistically, he’s average at best in Canucks history but sits as the team’s fourth highest-scoring-Russian."
Svechnikov has too many all around skills to not pick, he's been placed 1st->2nd overall all year for a reason, you can't pass this type of talent up.
6'3 and will probably end up around 200-210lbs of high flying skill, power and elite scoring talent, not to mention he can kill penalties, a two-way stalwart which will help his cause to make the NHL a long lasting one.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.