2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If we have the 2nd Pick Overall who do you pick?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Filip Zadinasix-foot, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
27%
Andrei Svechnikov,RW, six-foot-two, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL)
31%
Brady Tkachuk, six-foot-three, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA)
27%
Adam Boqvist D, five-foot-11, 168 pounds (Brynas Jr.)
8%
Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, six-foot-one, 205 pounds (USNTDP)
No votes
Noah Dobson, D, six-foot-three, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL)
4%
Evan Bouchard, D, six-foot-two, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL)
4%
Quinn Hughes, D, five-foot-10, 170 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA)
No votes
Barrett Hayton, C, six-foot-one, 191 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL)
No votes
Rasmus Kupari, C, six-foot-one, 183 pounds (Karpat, Finnish Liiga)
No votes

Total votes: 26

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Poll

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm The thing that keeps bringing me back to Tkachuk is the kid is going to be a monster. He will probably play at 6ft 3 and 220. He has a better first step and is a better skater than his brother while being mor me physical. Yeah the numbers aren’t great but I liked what I saw at the WJC. I can’t see him dropping out of the top 4.
I was won over with his play at the Worlds. Everyone says Matt is better, but this kid seems to have more skill than Matt, more well rounded. Plus he plays a smarter shit disturber game than Matt. Matt can get real stupid

He's my 2nd pick after Dahlin, for sure. Plus it helps his Mom is Canadian/Italian and that he has relatives in Vancouver
Everyone says that Matt is better? So go against the grain?

That sounds like something Gillis would have done.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 am
SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 pm Draft Svechnikov (if #2 OA) - always go BPA, his stats will be killer, you then flip him for like a RyJo for Jones type of deal down the road.
Or you draft the guy you think is worth keeping.....
To clarify, that was for a plan B scenario.

Svechnikov is an elite talent m8, can play both wings LW/RW.
Scouting Report

Elite goal scorer with size who combines power and finesse with an exceptional understanding of his role as a top line talent. Svechnikov has the uncanny ability to not only stickhandle in and around traffic, but also position himself away from the puck while defenders are fixated on his equally skilled linemates.

You have to keep tabs on Svechnikov at all times, and it seems as if opponents play tentative every time he’s on the ice. Svechnikov is a very good skater with a powerful stride and exceptional balance, and he uses his speed to create separation even although he shouldn’t be defined as a road runner.

He possesses a blistering shot with one of the quicker releases you’ll find — Svechnikov can score on set plays off a faceoff or rifle one from the circles. Few prospects over the last decade have been able to consistently light up opposing goalies than Svechnikov, who as a 16-year-old was the USHL’s Rookie of Year in 2017 and placed third with a 1.21 points-per-game average.

Two underrated aspects of Svechnikov’s game are his playmaking ability and strength on or off the puck. He creates a conundrum for opposing defenders and goalies because he can beat you with a pass as often as he does with his deadly shot. Additionally, his upper-body strength is often underestimated, and opponents losing puck battles via a shove become commonplace when Svechnikov is involved in a tight-checking affair.
Forward ranks would be insane if you can get this big powerful brute that can score and play a solid two-way game, thus helping him get much more minutes.

Add Svechnikov to the arsenal of Horvat, Boeser, Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind etc, and all you need is a QB dman to get those weapons the puck ala Pens style.

Svech like Hossa can to lead a line on his own, just like the Blackhawks when they had Toews, Kane & then Hossa to have the killer instinct and wave of attacks.

*of note, he played superb in the USHL, Ivan Hlinka, WJAC-19, and the OHL with great ppg avg, but had a hand injury derailed him a bit which affected his WJC.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Datsyuk is about the only super skilled Russian I can recall who had a solid 200 foot game.

Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Yashin, Bure, Kovalev...

That’s just a few.

Tarasenko and Kucherov are decent defensively but they are in the minority when it comes to Russians.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am Datsyuk is about the only super skilled Russian I can recall who had a solid 200 foot game.
Sergei Fedorov ( 2 Selkes)
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Aaronp18 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am Datsyuk is about the only super skilled Russian I can recall who had a solid 200 foot game.
Aaron drops the bomb...
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Scotty Bowman had him on defence for a while, I believe Scotty was quoted as saying Sergei would have been the greatest defenseman of all time had that been his full-time position.

I'd love to know why this is the case, but Russians definitely congregate on certain teams - Washington, Montreal, Tampa and Colorado, Toronto and Detroit in years' past.

With Montreal sitting 6th from the bottom, they would maybe trade up to get Svechnikov. IMO, I discount Svechnikov's value heavily due solely to the Russian factor.

As others have pointed out, Canucks haven't had a happy-ending to a Russian draft pick or player since Larionov.

Bure - demanded trade
Mogilny - ended up pretty meh, was part of the worst era of Canucks hockey
Chubarov - was starting to look like a decent 3rd-liner, but bolted
Koltsov - best dman in the KHL, was exactly what the Canucks needed at the time but wouldn't come over
Fedorov - nuff said
Tryamkin - literally broke a city's heart

Nothing against Russians, but I do believe that a Russian prospect is more valuable to a team other than the Canucks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Thanks, I thought about him but couldn’t remember how good he was defensively.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm As others have pointed out, Canucks haven't had a happy-ending to a Russian draft pick or player since Larionov.
It wasn't a happy ending for me.

I always felt if The Professor had stuck around we would have won the Cup in '94.

There were stories going around that the Canucks management team was mistreating Russians.

Mostly McPhee, who seemed to have a hate-on for them in those days.

We know this had a lot to do with Pavel eventually requesting a trade

... but I suspect it had something to do with Igor leaving as well.
ESQ wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm Tryamkin - literally broke a city's heart
The Tryamkin story is not over yet.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

wetcoaster? he'll give you a thousand page essay on how the Canucks management fucked around with the russians, in any case if your team can acquire a superior talented russian, you shouldn't be afraid to do it.

Kucherov, Tarasenko, Ovie, Malkin, all hard working superior talented ruskies and it's no problem, which is why if you land 2nd OA, you should take Svechnikov.
Bob McKenzie-Dec2017.
Andrei Svechnikov with the hattrick for Barrie tonight. Elite prospect for the 2018 NHL draft.
-
BTW, Andrei Svechnikov is expected to return to the Barrie Colts’ lineup on Friday night vs. Mississauga. He underwent hand surgery in late October. The big Russian winger is an elite prospect for the 2018 NHL draft.
March 11 - Andrei Svechnikov extended his pt streak to 20 games last night (21g/19a)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 pm
Love the glass-half-full attitude! And hey, its fits right in with Focusing on 1-2 years from now
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm wetcoaster? he'll give you a thousand page essay on how the Canucks management fucked around with the russians, in any case if your team can acquire a superior talented russian, you shouldn't be afraid to do it.
Like I said I'm not shitting on Russians, and I do believe there is an organizational bias against them that has turned Russkies against Vancouver.
Interesting chart, but McDavid is the only person on there that's worth a top-5 pick, imo.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm As others have pointed out, Canucks haven't had a happy-ending to a Russian draft pick or player since Larionov.
It wasn't a happy ending for me.

I always felt if The Professor had stuck around we would have won the Cup in '94.

There were stories going around that the Canucks management team was mistreating Russians.

Mostly McPhee, who seemed to have a hate-on for them in those days.

We know this had a lot to do with Pavel eventually requesting a trade

... but I suspect it had something to do with Igor leaving as well.
Igor’s contract expired in 92. Rather than continue paying the Russian sports agency a good portion of his salary he opted to play in Switzerland for the 92-93 season. I think his buddy Makarov did too. Quinn made a stupid move by not protecting him instead of Tom Fergus and the Sharks selected him in the waiver draft. The Russians let him sign with the Sharksand let him and Makarov our of their aggreements. Losing Igor was on Quinn.

Not sure what ESQ was referring to when he said Mogilny was meh in Vancouver. After they inexplicably let Ronning go he got to play with Peter Zezel and Harry York.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm Igor’s contract expired in 92. Rather than continue paying the Russian sports agency a good portion of his salary he opted to play in Switzerland for the 92-93 season. I think his buddy Makarov did too. Quinn made a stupid move by not protecting him instead of Tom Fergus and the Sharks selected him in the waiver draft. The Russians let him sign with the Sharksand let him and Makarov our of their aggreements. Losing Igor was on Quinn.

Not sure what ESQ was referring to when he said Mogilny was meh in Vancouver. After they inexplicably let Ronning go he got to play with Peter Zezel and Harry York.
LoL Zezel and York sheesh brings back memories.

Mogilny shined with Lafontaine/Ronning, & even played decent with the depth centers, then along came Messier & the team fell apart.
In Y2K:

The last of five core players that adorned the cover of the Vancouver Canucks' yearbook only four years ago is gone.

Right winger Alexander Mogilny was dispatched yesterday at the National Hockey League trading deadline to the playoff-bound New Jersey Devils for younger (seven years) and less expensive forwards Brendan Morrison and Dennis Pederson.

Mogilny's exit came after former Vancouver stars Kirk McLean, Trevor Linden, Jyrki Lumme and Pavel Bure left for various reasons as team composition kept changing.

The Canucks cleared an expensive contract that pays Mogilny $4.6-million (U.S.) this season and calls for a base salary of $5.2-million next season. Morrison and Pederson will earn a combined $1.325-million this season.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... le4161743/

& then eeeek, how about this gem.....
Vancouver received inquiries about Messier's availability before the trade deadline, but rival GMs were told Messier was remaining with the Canucks.

"The reason we're in the playoff hunt, in my opinion, is due largely to No. 11 [Messier]and shows a lot of character on his part to not ask for a trade and hang in there with us and continue to lead the charge," Brian Burke said.
:?

Anyways Canucks dealt the uber sniper Mogilny to NJ then he was paired with Gomez and they tore it up winning the Stanley Cup. #89 continued his scoring ways with the leaves after.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That team was falling apart long before Messier got here. Either way he did little to help improve things. The lustre really started to wear off of Pat Quinn after 1994 starting with handing over the coaching reigns to Rick Ley and later Tom Renney.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm
Mogilny's performance was fine his first year, but his 107-point performance was tied for 9th in the league (Lemieux had 161). He followed that up with a73 point season, then didn't crack 50 points.

In the Mogilny era, the team sucked. I think that reflects on him.

And Skyo, Mogilny sucked for NJ, with 7 points in 23 playoff games.