Edler's Trade Value

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Edler's Trade Value

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm

As everyone knows, I am on (perhaps driving :lol: ) the "TAERFN Bus"

IF Edler waives (and JB would have to ask him, he ain't gonna volunteer) what would be fair value on draft day, and does this value change if we wait until July first ??

I ask because there seems to be a rather wide range of what he is worth floating around.

Personally, I think a late first, or a high second (that 25-40 pick range) and an upper end prospect would be a HELL of a deal..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Edler's Trade Value

Post by Strangelove » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm

IF Edler waives (and JB would have to ask him, he ain't gonna volunteer) what would be fair value on draft day, and does this value change if we wait until July first ??

I ask because there seems to be a rather wide range of what he is worth floating around.

Personally, I think a late first, or a high second (that 25-40 pick range) and an upper end prospect would be a HELL of a deal..
I agree with your estimate on what Edler would return next deadline.

(if he has another season like this)

But do we trade him when we're on the verge of the playoffs?? :D

Part of me (the evil part) wants to see him re-signed to an extension because then I'd get to see Med's head do this:

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
If Benning pulled that off, I would step closer to the 'genius'™ camp.

A second and 'solid' prospect would keep me happy - his value is only going down.
2017 - The Road to 65™

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
If Benning pulled that off, I would step closer to the 'genius'™ camp.

A second and 'solid' prospect would keep me happy - his value is only going down.
Benning despises draft picks. Edler will go for two B level goalie prospects.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:

Canucks needs to sell high this off season, make the trade and even accept a 2019 1st round pick so they can be up to the podium twice in Vancouver.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:03 am

Edler has been the Canucks best dman this season easily, leading all categories on defense with 24 pts, 23:40 TOI, 123 shots, avg .46ppg & is 2nd in team hits.

(63gp MDZ 178 hits, 51gp Edler 117 hits, 45gp Guds 110 hits, 57 gp Virtanen 97 hits.)

This would be a big balls move to deal him, but it's also a perfect time after this season to sell high for once (for gods sake the Canucks rarely have done that), even if Edler and Linden are good buddies, the team needs to free up the LD side and move some vets for picks/prospects.

Edler to a contender for a 1st+prospect is probably the best you'll get & the Canucks should take it while they can after this season.

This way Hutton can stay, while his value is somewhat low, he's still a young dman with upside, cost controlled, so with increased ice time and roster space he could/should get better.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am

Free up the left side for who ?

Other than Edler all the left side d men suck shit. Juolevi is 19 and has been underwhelming at best. Skyo you go on like there is this tremendous depth on the left side. There isn’t. It’s as bad as the right side. I like the term people keep use “logjam”. More like a bunch of logs of shit.

He has a ntc and hasn’t seemed keen on waving it in the past. Re-up him next summer for a hometown discount. The team has two legit top 4 d man and a gaggle of 6/7/8 guys. Ditch Edler and watch the endless Chinese fire drill.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 am

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:06 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:

I agree with your estimate on what Edler would return next deadline.

(if he has another season like this)

But do we trade him when we're on the verge of the playoffs?? :D

Part of me (the evil part) wants to see him re-signed to an extension because then I'd get to see Med's head do this:

It would depend on what said extension looked like.

Right now I wouldn’t much care. He’s playing good hockey paired with Gudbranson.

If the Canucks can draft/sign/trade for a couple of top pairing guys, I would be happy to see Edler here at Gudbranson money on a 3 year deal in a reduced role.

From what we’ve seen the last week or so, Edler and Gudbranson would make a very good second pairing.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 am

I'm kind of off the TAERFN bus, he's had his best season in years imo.

Since he's made it clear he's not waiving, I'd like to see him bent over for a big hometown discount.

On a 3-4 year extension, I can envision him playing a top 4 role on this team when they're back in contention.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah it's pretty clear when the big horse Edler goes down this team has a lot of dmen taking on more responsibility which leads to all their weaknesses exposed more.

Having said that, I hate to bring it up due to rival fans scoping out the boards for info, but Edler hasn't played a full season since 2012, and 2015 he managed to get at least 70 games.

Maybe with Gudbranson here, it gives him a bit more confidence to play his rough and rumble style again, but I'd hate to see Edler hurt again, playing 50ish games diminishing his value.

So if you are ok with Edler avg 60ish games per season, then by all means keep him, but his value probably won't be this high ever again down the road, unless he and Guds form a solid tough pairing.

And blob this team is a fire drill anyways until Demko is ready to take over, as Marky and Nilsson each play half bad-half good games all throughout the year.

*also I look at the NYR dealing a much better dman in McDonagh to help with their rebuild, their left side is now Skjei, Staal, O'Gara & they still want to deal Staal.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 am

Thing is 6 of the 8 characters on this current blue line would be no better than a 6th d man on most of the teams and some of them would be 9 or 10 on some teams depth charts. It’s the worst d corps in the league. Demko can’t change that. Sure the goaltending is spotty but they face a huge amount but of point blank scoring chances every night.

This team was spoiled having a glut of top 4 d men for 15 years. They have 2 now and unless I’m getting a younger top 4 guy for Tanev or Edler then I’m hanging onto them. I see one potential top 4 guy in Juolevi and that’s it. I guess there’s a 5 % chance the Russian comes back. I guess you could trade Edler or Tanev in a package for a young buck on the back end with some upside but they won’t return a young stud on their own.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am

the problem with keeping Edler for another signing is, keeping Edler around.

Green with his veteranitis will constantly put Edler out in key times and screw the development of the youth.

Enough of Edler, speak man to man with him and tell him he has made enough money of the Nucks and not always playing to the level he was being paid and he needs to pick 5 - 6 teams he is willing to move too.

I don't care if he is signed for $1M (unless there is no trade restrictions), just want to see him gone.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 am
Thing is 6 of the 8 characters on this current blue line would be no better than a 6th d man on most of the teams and some of them would be 9 or 10 on some teams depth charts. It’s the worst d corps in the league. Demko can’t change that. Sure the goaltending is spotty but they face a huge amount but of point blank scoring chances every night.

This team was spoiled having a glut of top 4 d men for 15 years. They have 2 now and unless I’m getting a younger top 4 guy for Tanev or Edler then I’m hanging onto them. I see one potential top 4 guy in Juolevi and that’s it. I guess there’s a 5 % chance the Russian comes back. I guess you could trade Edler or Tanev in a package for a young buck on the back end with some upside but they won’t return a young stud on their own.

I understand that, but on the flip side if you look at the Canucks from an outsider perspective, you see a team rebuilding and not contending any time soon, so one wonders why would a team keep such a good veteran asset like Edler that they can deal for a couple good picks and a prospect?

Not to mention Edler can still come back next summer when the Canucks are in a much better position with the youth developing further and more prospects on their way thanks to the aggressive move of trading a reliable vet such as Edler while his value is maxed.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Meds wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 am
From what we’ve seen the last week or so, Edler and Gudbranson would make a very good second pairing.
SKYO wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am
Yeah it's pretty clear when the big horse Edler goes down this team has a lot of dmen taking on more responsibility which leads to all their weaknesses exposed more.
That's actually the entire current Canucks roster in a nutshell: some pretty nice pieces, just mostly asked to do a little more than they can.

I, too, like Edler and Gudbranson as a second line pairing. Markstrom and Nilsson can both play well for stretches, just not long enough to start. I think the Sedins would still be very effective feasting on 3rd-pairing defencemen as 2/3 of a third line that could contribute offensively.

So all they need is two top defencemen (one, if you imagine Tanev can somehow make it through a whole season), a starting goaltender, and a 1B line (as good as Horvat's line has looked at times, if it is to be the first line on a championship team, I think it needs solid scoring depth behind it).

Rebuild almost complete !

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 am
Free up the left side for who ?

Other than Edler all the left side d men suck shit. Juolevi is 19 and has been underwhelming at best. Skyo you go on like there is this tremendous depth on the left side. There isn’t. It’s as bad as the right side. I like the term people keep use “logjam”. More like a bunch of logs of shit.

He has a ntc and hasn’t seemed keen on waving it in the past. Re-up him next summer for a hometown discount. The team has two legit top 4 d man and a gaggle of 6/7/8 guys. Ditch Edler and watch the endless Chinese fire drill.
lets be clear, we aren't not talking about "if" we trade Edler, this is the driver of the TAERFN bus.. we are discussing his value.

What's he worth?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.