Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by SKYO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Conversely a lot of teams didn't get to trade off their vets, there's only so much contenders to deal with.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 pm
Understand what you are saying DH, but I am not sure Vanek has any value from the other GM as he has a reputation of being a no show in the playoffs. Is it justified don't know but that may be why they did not get much for him.

My frustration is why wait for TDD, why not do a deal 2 - 4 weeks ago, or try to. I am sure someone will say Benning tried and maybe he did but TDD is not always the best place to get a deal especially for someone like Vanek.

If the Canucks were serious about moving Tanev, this deal needs to happen before next season starts. Tanev has an injury issue so don't wait until the last minute and watch it fall to crap because of another injury.
Vanek's agent said 4 or 5 teams called Van to ask about him - I'm sure they could have picked up a 4th for him at least if that's the case. Yes he's limited to just scoring and that affects his value but a 4th is worth more than Tyler Motte.

I'm not just saying it's the Vanek trade, which I think was bad, but why are we so intent on keeping this group together? They are awful, as bad as it gets, yet we are re-signing guys and refusing to trade players for what reason? To keep us 30th in the league and ahead of 31st? Tanev is one as well, but everybody should be on the block. There's zero reason to keep this group together given how bad they have proven to be.

Management should be owning this rather than talking about injuries and how the prospects are going to be great. Anaheim had their top 3 forwards and top 2 D missing for a big chunk of the year and are still in the playoff hunt. We are even in the top 5 in man games lost. This team is bad, plain and simple, and without extra ammo for the draft there will be other teams picking way more than us who will pass us in quality of prospects too.

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm
That is not a great return for a 50-point player.

Just saw on Twitter than in four deadlines Benning has acquired one draft pick? Is that actually true?
this is 100% accurate and like most things here kinda gets swept under the rug which to me is I dunno ... For a team that professes the importance of the draft it really puts the prospects that you have under a microscope that might be a lil unfair to those kids because if the quality u have doesn't live up to or exceed expectations ... There are times in the history of the organization u can see things unfolding before they do... I hope this is not one of those times...

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Well, that's the management they signed. I hope they still like it.

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 pm

The NYR seem to be killing it. Detroit too with Tatar.

Other teams, not so much. Maroon only fetches a 3rd?
Try to focus on THIS year...

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Are the odds of Motte or Lipstick playing a significant number of NHL games better than the odds of a 4th round pick playing a significant role in the NHL?

I don't get the romantic motion many have towards mid round draft picks.

Do the math. I did it for Bubbles a few months ago.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Benning saying picks weren't available - amazing given every single other trade today for an NHL player had a pick included. Weird that the Canucks are the one anomaly.

Also saying Edler, Tanev and Sutter help the young guys so we want to keep them. All the leadership, culture and insulation these guys provide has produced the worst 3 season stretch in team history and the 2nd worst team in the league, so you can't argue with results!
Last edited by Diehard1 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Topper wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:18 pm
Are the odds of Motte or Lipstick playing a significant number of NHL games better than the odds of a 4th round pick playing a significant role in the NHL?

Yah I give more credence to motte and Leipsic than I do a 4 or 5th pick In the future..

In my eyes these guys are more like a 2 nd or 3rd
Getting old is not for the young...

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Topper wrote:

And I schooled you on the impact and percentages of 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Today it doesn’t really matter but what is the aversion to picks by a man many on this board claim to be a drafting savant. One thing is certain though. He is a horrible salesman
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Benning saying picks weren't available - amazing given every single other trade today for an NHL player had a pick included. Weird that the Canucks are the one anomaly.

A 29 years old Maroon was traded for a 3rd pick. Seriously, what do you think a 34 years old Vanek, who also has a history of MIA in the playoffs, would get for the Canucks?

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm

rats19 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm
Topper wrote:

Yah I give more credence to motte and Leipsic than I do a 4 or 5th pick In the future..

A 4th/5th could be garbage or could be Adam Gaudette, who was acquired with the pick we got for Raphael Diaz. At least you have a chance. Leipsic could be a player but Motte hasn't done a damn thing in the 4 years since he was drafted. 16 points in 43 AHL games last year. 5 points in 31 NHL games. He's Jayson Megna - would much rather have a lottery ticket than him.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm
Diehard1 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm

A 29 years old Maroon was traded for a 3rd pick. Seriously, what do you think a 34 years old Vanek, who also has a history of MIA in the playoffs, would get for the Canucks?
Maroon got a 3rd and a better prospect than Motte, and also didn't have to take back a cap dump. It's a bad return but not horrible like Vanek's.

Hey, give Benning credit, at least he learned after trading Hamhuis and Vrbata for nothing. I also gave him credit for Leipsic but as per usual everybody jumps on the fact I'm calling his Vanek trade a bad one (which it is).

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:33 pm

rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:33 pm
rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Because they’re are actually here playing at least some nhl games

The known unknown vs unknown unknown I guess blob
Getting old is not for the young...

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm

If I recall when I did the numbers, a 3rd or 4th round pick has a 7% chance of playing a significant number of NHL games. But hey, Ottawa got a 7th for Nick Shore - WIN!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.