Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades made

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Jovocop wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am Why not take a 4th or 5th ? You are already doing CBJ a favour by taking Jokinnen. Makes little sense. Both these little guys acquired today have to clear waivers next year.

Garbage out and garbage in I guess
If 26 years old Kane can only get a conditional 1st (only if he re-signs with the Sharks, else 2nd in 2019), a 24 years old 5'10" centre, and a fourth rounder in 2020, I am not sure what we can expect for 34 years old Vanek. The market is clearly not favoring the seller this deadline.

Then keep Vanek.

Vanek > Jokinen

We don’t need another small AHL player.

It’s shit like this that makes people question Benning.

Oh Christ! If he didn't trade Vanek you'd be all over him like flies to shit.
I would?

Take a pill Wids.

I’ve been advocating keeping Vanek as much as trading him. I like what he’s done in Vancouver and he has allegedly been a good mentor for Boeser.

If this was for a 2nd or 3rd then do it. But that’s not the market this year, and we’ve been expecting a soft market for a while. Motte is 22 and not even putting up much for points at the AHL level.

I don’t care so much that Vanek is gone, it’s just one more WTF move at this point.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am Why not take a 4th or 5th ? You are already doing CBJ a favour by taking Jokinnen. Makes little sense. Both these little guys acquired today have to clear waivers next year.

If 26 years old Kane can only get a conditional 1st (only if he re-signs with the Sharks, else 2nd in 2019), a 24 years old 5'10" centre, and a fourth rounder in 2020, I am not sure what we can expect for 34 years old Vanek. The market is clearly not favoring the seller this deadline.
Then keep Vanek.

Vanek > Jokinen

the whole deal looks like something Bennnig did just to say he traded Vanek. It was a damned if you do and damned if you don't option for Vanek. Seems he had minimal to no trade value so what was Benning supposed to get for him?

Maybe a better option would of been to sign him for another year unless it was felt that he was taking a position from a young guy.
He could still sign Vanek
Why do that ? With the impending return of the twins do they need more old goats ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Then keep Vanek.

Vanek > Jokinen

the whole deal looks like something Bennnig did just to say he traded Vanek. It was a damned if you do and damned if you don't option for Vanek. Seems he had minimal to no trade value so what was Benning supposed to get for him?

Maybe a better option would of been to sign him for another year unless it was felt that he was taking a position from a young guy.
He could still sign Vanek
Why do that ? With the impending return of the twins do they need more old goats ?

I dunno. Seems Mëds thinks we lost a great one. Just trying to calm him down cause Vanek is UFA so Mëds can dream about Benning re-signing him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Maybe not but the “gold” draft picks were flying around for three days. I’d take the 4th or 5th rather than a 23 year old AHL player and a cap dump.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. Garbage out and garbage in. It’s like eating at McDonald’s. Hopefully lessons have been learned and July 1st the owner will only allow Lennie Small to sign guys to one year ntc contracts. No more long term boat anchors .Not sure why Benning hates draft picks so much. Adam Gaudette wastage last pick acquired on deadline day and was a 5th round pick acquired by Eye Bags from the Rangers. There’s a reason teams are keen to unload 23 year old prospects. 99% of the time its because they suck.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm I dunno. Seems Mëds thinks we lost a great one. Just trying to calm him down cause Vanek is UFA so Mëds can dream about Benning re-signing him.
Yeah, Mëds needs to take a pill.

Is HF down?
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 pm McDonagh to Tampa
McKenzie reports the Lightning are sending Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, Vladislav Namestnikov 2018 1st round pick and a conditional second round pick back to the Rangers.

Someone said JT Miller from NYR as well.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm I dunno. Seems Mëds thinks we lost a great one. Just trying to calm him down cause Vanek is UFA so Mëds can dream about Benning re-signing him.
Yeah, Mëds needs to take a pill.

Is HF down?
All hockey places are slow, TSN, Hockey DB etc.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

That is not a great return for a 50-point player.

Just saw on Twitter than in four deadlines Benning has acquired one draft pick? Is that actually true?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 pm McDonagh to Tampa
McKenzie reports the Lightning are sending Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, Vladislav Namestnikov 2018 1st round pick and a conditional second round pick back to the Rangers.

Someone said JT Miller from NYR as well.
from Sportsnet
In exchange for Ryan McDonagh and versatile forward J.T. Miller, the Rangers are receiving top-nine forward Vladislav Namestnikov, prospects Brett Howden and Libor Hajek, a 2018 first-round pick, and conditional second-round pick.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Jovocop wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm If 26 years old Kane can only get a conditional 1st (only if he re-signs with the Sharks, else 2nd in 2019), a 24 years old 5'10" centre, and a fourth rounder in 2020, I am not sure what we can expect for 34 years old Vanek. The market is clearly not favoring the seller this deadline.
I agree -- not really a seller's market this year. Teams are learning....

But I don't really get the age point. An impending UFA is an impending UFA. They are rentals.

Only thing is that when you get a younger player, you get exclusive negotiating rights for 4 months. What's that worth if you come to a deal? SJS told us what its worth to them with Kane. Goes from a 2d to a first. The difference between pick 49 an 18 (let's say the Sharks finish 13th overall), is a much bigger difference than say, Vanek getting a 3d or Vanek getting a 5th.

As for what Vanek returned, well,the market didn't like him in the offseason (and he was very solid) and they don't like him at the deadline....
Hono_rary Canadian
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am Vanek to Columbus for

Bob McKenzie
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN expected to receive Tyler Motte and Jussi Jokinen in exchange for Thomas Vanek going to CBJ.
WTF?
Another head-scratcher. Everybody Benning has got in trades looks to be nothing but Utica fodder - including Jokinen. Hell, Jokinen was on waivers on Sunday so Benning could have had him for free. Motte has done sweet fuck all in the NHL and is already 22. This deal makes no sense.

Are there some back-room deals going on where if Benning takes it up the ass from other GMs and takes their garbage that he'll get better "luck" in the draft lottery? It's the only plausible explanation here.
Last edited by Lancer on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Two trades:

Leipsic for Holm - fine with this one, traded a 26 year old who has some promise for a 23 year old that has some promise. Not sure we should have traded D for W but whatever, this team needs players at every position so if you think he's an upgrade that's fine. He needs waivers to go to the AHL so the Leipsic is on the team now for the foreseeable future. We will see how he does in Van but he's been very good in the AHL.

Vanek for Jokinen/Motte - what the hell? Jokinen is awful, a cap dump who cleared waivers this morning. Motte is ok, hasn't done much of anything at the NHL or AHL levels, and at best he's a 4th liner if he realizes his potential. Why the hell don't you pick up a draft pick? Even a 5th rounder probably has as much of a chance to be something as Motte does. It makes zero sense, this trade looks bizarre. People say Vanek is UFA so has no value? Not true for every other rental player out there. I guess Hamhuis and Vrbata sucked too so nobody wanted them either - amazing this only happen to this management team while every other NHL team is able to get value for their UFAs.

Still more of the same from this management team - zero plan in place, won't look to get more draft picks even though drafting seems to be their only strength. The team is horrifically bad even though they are trying to be 'competitive' yet management refuses to change it up. Rangers get a ton of picks/youth, Habs, Wings, etc. Pretty much every team that is in the same position as us gets extra picks. Benning has made 1 trade in 4 seasons to get extra picks at the deadline when he picked up a 4th for Hansen. That's not good.

Second worst in points to the Coyotes in the past 3 seasons, and tied with the Yotes in overall points in the past 2 seasons. Second last in 2016-17, 4th last so far this year and the worst team in the league since November. What is going to get them to change the way they are doing things? This reminds me of Calgary in the Feaster years and we all know how that turned out.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Understand what you are saying DH, but I am not sure Vanek has any value from the other GM as he has a reputation of being a no show in the playoffs. Is it justified don't know but that may be why they did not get much for him.

My frustration is why wait for TDD, why not do a deal 2 - 4 weeks ago, or try to. I am sure someone will say Benning tried and maybe he did but TDD is not always the best place to get a deal especially for someone like Vanek.

If the Canucks were serious about moving Tanev, this deal needs to happen before next season starts. Tanev has an injury issue so don't wait until the last minute and watch it fall to crap because of another injury.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm
Jovocop wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm If 26 years old Kane can only get a conditional 1st (only if he re-signs with the Sharks, else 2nd in 2019), a 24 years old 5'10" centre, and a fourth rounder in 2020, I am not sure what we can expect for 34 years old Vanek. The market is clearly not favoring the seller this deadline.
I agree -- not really a seller's market this year. Teams are learning....

But I don't really get the age point. An impending UFA is an impending UFA. They are rentals.

Only thing is that when you get a younger player, you get exclusive negotiating rights for 4 months. What's that worth if you come to a deal? SJS told us what its worth to them with Kane. Goes from a 2d to a first. The difference between pick 49 an 18 (let's say the Sharks finish 13th overall), is a much bigger difference than say, Vanek getting a 3d or Vanek getting a 5th.

As for what Vanek returned, well,the market didn't like him in the offseason (and he was very solid) and they don't like him at the deadline....
Not really a seller's market? Massive returns for Tatar, McDonagh, Stastny, Brassard, Hartman, etc. Guys like Kane (major attitude issues) didn't get much but there's nowhere near as much demand for a guy who is a terrible teammate. 5 1st rounders traded this year, garbage like Brandon Davidson who was on waivers earlier this year got a 3rd rounder. Even Joe Morrow, who can barely play, got a 4th in return. Amazing that this management team does this year after year and people still say think it's because there's no market for Canuck players. Perhaps after 4 years of this it's us, not them?
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pmMaybe not but the “gold” draft picks were flying around for three days. I’d take the 4th or 5th rather than a 23 year old AHL player and a cap dump.
Agreed. At this point I have more faith in JB's drafting than in his reclamation projects. Who knows, maybe there is something in Motte that we don't see and JB does. I'm just hoping it's not another Vey. On the bright side at least JB didn't throw in the obligatory draft pick! :D

I'm not sure what to think of the other move. I haven't watched Holm nor Leipsic enough to get a good feel for either player, but it does seem strange trading a D prospect for a middling forward prospect when D seems to be the area in which our prospects are most deficient. Perhaps more will come out in the wash.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu