Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by SKYO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm
SKYO wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm
here I thought I was clever with 'irrelephant' lol.
#fail
That was clever - and actually the 2nd reason why we're worried about you... (or if your account was hacked).
Ouch bro, ouch. Hey I have my moments. :D
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Hank » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I wuz imprezzed SKYO.

But tbh, I thought you were hacked by EPC.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by SKYO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Damn it's savage AF up in here Image
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8172
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by rats19 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm
Damn it's savage AF up in here Image

I think you are awesome syko..... :wink:
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9411
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Topper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm
Damn it's savage AF up in here Image
you could be trampled and have you knick knacks crushed
Last edited by Topper on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16177
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Strangelove » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am
wow - you never give up.

This is all just a bunch of people coming up with whatifs.

Give it a break once in a while, you do not have to always try to have the last word.
Traditionally the person who wins the debate gets the last word.

Deal with it. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16177
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Strangelove » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm

$lacker wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 am
Strangelove wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 pm
Sedins refuse to waive their NMCs, please stop.
Ok will do- sorry thought I had posted on a Canucks message board. Back to lurking 👍🏻
Actually I was hoping you'd come up with a plausible explanation

... for why they would suddenly pull a 180 and decide to waive their NMCs.

I wasn't saying "please stop" as a mod... I was saying it as a random CC asshole.

As a mod I say: "please never stop" :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by $lacker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Well in that case....

“Rangers President Glen Sather and GM Jeff Gorton have sent the following letter to Ranger fans about the state of the team (NYR):

As a member of the Blueshirt Faithful, we consider you a part of the New York Rangers family, and always want to ensure we share important news about the organization directly with you. Today, we want to talk to you about the future. As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents' Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we're proud of all those accomplishments - we didn't reach our ultimate goal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past summer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character.

This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about & respect. While this is part of the game it's never easy.Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we're building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender. There are no fans like Rangers fans. You are passionate, loyal and true. You fill The Garden every night, and we always know there will be a strong showing from RangersTown in every building across the League. We do not take your support for granted. We appreciate that you have always stood by us, and we ask you to remain by our side as we undertake this exciting new chapter filled with promise and change.

We will keep you informed as this process takes shape. Thank you for the incredible loyalty, pride and respect you show to the New York Rangers, each and every day.”

— Twenty years ago this week, Mike Keenan was in the middle of blowing up the previous Canucks team. Sure, it upset plenty of fans at the time and forever framed Mark Messier’s time here, but there’s just no arguing that the return Iron Mike landed for the Man Who Would Be President set the stage for so much Canucks success to follow.

We know the Todd Bertuzzi story. He came as this unfinished giant athletic talent. He became one of the best players and played on one of the league’s best lines before his time was done with the Canucks in 2006. He would, of course, be part of the trade which begat the Era of Luongo. (And of course, Jacob Markstrom was one of the guys who came to Vancouver when Lu was returned for deposit to Florida.)
After a solid season-plus for the rebuilding Canucks, McCabe ended up being traded to the Blackhawks in exchange (along with the Canucks’ 2000 first-rounder) for the fourth overall pick at the 1999 draft. After much arguing with the Tampa Bay brass, Brian Burke was able to flip that pick, along with two third-round picks, for the first overall pick.

Because Burke wanted to call the Sedins up together, he got a pledge from the Atlanta Thrashers, who held the second pick, to not take either. They coveted Patrik Stefan, he knew. And so the picks were flipped.

Finally, the third-round pick he acquired in that trade turned out to be Jarkko Ruutu, the super pest who proved to be a solid performer for the Canucks for five seasons.

In all, trading Linden gave the Canucks, at one time or another, Bertuzzi, McCabe, the Sedins, Ruutu, Luongo and Markstrom.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ins-and-lu


So, my point all along was that we should be having the conversation of trading the Sedins. Maybe they still won’t wave their NMC’s but trading them could potentially get us a massive asset. If the team can get another Brock Boeser and get one step closer to a Stanley Cup the conversation should be had. It may not be popular and it may suck, but if Linden can be traded so can the Sedins.
Last edited by $lacker on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7298
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Cornuck » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I think the thing is that anyone here would trade the Sedins for a top prospect or pick or two - but nobody sees that happening for the reasons that have been posted above. It's not really about bringing up this radical idea - it's about having a realistic talk about hockey players.

Would anyone on this board not trade the Sedins for a "Boeser" or two? I think not. Would most of use be shocked if the twins were traded? Hell yeah. This has already been discussed (see previous thread), so it's not like we're ignoring this remote possibility - we're just not giving it much thought. It's like talking about the team moving to Seattle. Could it happen? Maybe... Will it? Not damn likely.

Also - if you have any idea about teams involved or players coming back, go for it.... Keep in mind cap considerations for 14 million
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by $lacker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Ok well I personally don’t see the 14million $ cap hit as an issue. First off they can retain 50% on one of them which brings hit down to 10.5 million. Pro rated at the deadline 10.5 million/ 186 (days in season) x 42 (days in season left) makes pro rated cap hit of 2.3701 as of deadline give or take.

I would assume that Sedins would only leave to play for a few select teams but Toronto could easily fit them in. Tampa could easily fit them in. How about Vegas? They have 25 million in cap space and 3000 picks in next years draft. Cap is not an issue. Them agreeing to waive is ONLY issue.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5776
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Meds » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

The difference between Linden and the Sedins is that Linden didn't have a family other than his wife. He was also being poorly treated by the coach and had just given up the "C" to Messier. He was also one player who was only 27 years old and still playing decent hockey. The Sedins are two players with children and 10 years older than Trevor was when he was dealt.

It's a piss poor comparison for no other reason than the 10 years difference in age.

The Sedins want to stay. They have not been replaced as leaders yet. The only way they go is if Tampa, Nashville, or MAYBE Vegas or Boston, were the team requesting BOTH of their services as rentals.

The fact that you are suggesting using tactics that are akin to running them out of town is just asinine, and the fact that you think it's "good business" is hilariously obtuse.

User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by $lacker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Meds wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm
The difference between Linden and the Sedins is that Linden didn't have a family other than his wife. He was also being poorly treated by the coach and had just given up the "C" to Messier. He was also one player who was only 27 years old and still playing decent hockey. The Sedins are two players with children and 10 years older than Trevor was when he was dealt.

It's a piss poor comparison for no other reason than the 10 years difference in age.
Who cares how old they are? If you can get value for them what difference does it make? Because they have family? Did you want Hansen to get traded last deadline? I’ll have to go back and check because he has a family too and they are still having a difficult time adjusting. Did you care about his feelings? Did you care about long time Canuck Alex Burrows and his family’s feelings? You had no problem shipping Alex Edler out of town, another career Canuck with a NMC AND a family... maybe Canucks should have just exposed one of the Sedins in expansion draft? Is that better for you?
Meds wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 am
Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:Burrows and Hansen are much better guys to keep during a rebuild than a guy like Edler or Dorsset.
Sure - but who are you going to trade to get younger assets? Edler won't budge, and Dorsset... what will he get us in return? If anything, we can be thankful that we got good value back for Burr and Hanson.

Erikkson is really the only piece that seems out of place in a rebuild, so I'm not sure why you're talking about a stale team full of dead weight (unless you're talking about placeholders like Skille, Sutter, etc)
I was referring to the stale dead weight that was with the team in 2012-13 and remained for as long as it did/has.

Edler is really the last piece in that category.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm an asshole, but I would have left him exposed if he refused to open up his trade options. He is the epitome of what it means to be a loser Canuck.


Daniel and Henrik would be gone two months from their family and then would either be back as Canucks next year or retired. Give me a break.

Meds wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm
The Sedins want to stay. They have not been replaced as leaders yet. The only way they go is if Tampa, Nashville, or MAYBE Vegas or Boston, were the team requesting BOTH of their services as rentals.

The fact that you are suggesting using tactics that are akin to running them out of town is just asinine, and the fact that you think it's "good business" is hilariously obtuse.
I already addressed the cap concerns in post above, it is not an issue. Of course any team trading for them would
take on BOTH. I own and run a million $ + business and I believe it is good business. This market is ready for change and this team NEEDS assets. In fact, they should have been traded a year ago.

I cannot deny that they want to stay and as I mentioned in previous posts, that is the biggest obstacle; however, not trading them because of nostalgia and what they have done for the franchise in the past is “obtuse”.

Everyone knows it’s the right move for the franchise but because of “what they have done” we can’t see what their value is at the deadline? Your argument and those in here arguing against me is that the Sedins don’t want to move and shouldn’t have to because of who they are. My argument is that’s BS. They have made an obscene amount of money here and will always be loved and respected regardless of whether they play elsewhere for 2 months and that they should be traded at the deadline for assets that will help this team going forward. Be nostalgic, be afraid to make bold moves, be status quo.... enjoy another 50 years with no cup. At least we can all rest at night knowing that the Sedins got to play their whole careers here.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by micky107 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 am

You have my utmost respect for giving it one hell of a try.
I know what you mean.
I have given my thoughts and reasoning for them on the other thread, the best I could.
I wasn't going to post on this one but I just wanted to let you know, we are not alone!
"evolution"

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

on the radio today, yes I know, they said the Sedins were asked within the last week if they were coming back and they said they do not know and cannot answer until the off season.

I understand that they have that right but where is the loyalty in an answer like that? It seems they are playing the same game as the Canucks but this hampers the team more that it inconveniences the Sedins.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by SKYO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Don't think it's about loyalty reef, it's more along the lines of do they have the mindset to sign a cheap one year contract? or sail off to the Swedish sunset to retire.

Trades the draft etc will help determine their answer in addition to how their bod/mind is holding up after the season is done.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Post Reply