Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm fire
:thumbs: :twisted: :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm His sophomore jinx was only point production. His intensity never waned. It's the intensity and fire that makes him a leader.
Intensity doesn't mean much if the guy can't score or gets beaten/scored upon often in matchups.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm fire
:thumbs: :twisted: :thumbs:
Bored tonight or something?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm His sophomore jinx was only point production. His intensity never waned. It's the intensity and fire that makes him a leader.
Intensity doesn't mean much if the guy can't score or gets beaten/scored upon often in matchups.
I don't recall Bo getting beaten individually in those matchups. His linemates weren't nearly what was required to matchup against those tougher opposing big guns. He was really the only decent faceoff guy we had, so he saw a ton of unfavourable deployments based on that alone.

The difference is that he hustles end to end. The Sedins do a lot of coasting out there defensively, and take stupid penalties after turnovers because they can't get back. It's the never say die attitude.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm
I don't recall Bo getting beaten individually in those matchups. His linemates weren't nearly what was required to matchup against those tougher opposing big guns. He was really the only decent faceoff guy we had, so he saw a ton of unfavourable deployments based on that alone.
He was a -30 season. Maybe not all his fault, but he was on the ice a lot with our guys fishing the puck out of our net. At that time, I don't he was ready for those "unfavourable deployments", but I think he can handle most of those situations now. It also helps a ton to have a healthy Sutter who can play in those situations as well.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 amI’d love them to come back next year, at the right price, but won’t be upset if they don’t.

My bet, they re-sign for one more year around 4M - 5M each and we get the goodbye tour.
Canucks can't afford to pay the Sedins that much imo, IF they decide to return for one more year it will be for $3M a piece or at most $3.5M aav each, as the Canucks can't afford to pay the now 3rd liners who can't defend, but are good powerplay guys $8M-$10M combined, I'd much rather pay $8M per on the 6'3-215lbs right shot John Carlson IF he actually makes it to UFA, he's on pace for over 60 points this season, and has been averaging over 40 points the past 3 seasons with 25min TOI. However if Washington actually manages to sell off more quality players for pennies on the dollar to free up cap space to re-sign JC, then I'd spend that Sedins money on 26 yr old Evander Kane, he suits the style of play JB wants, fast, gritty who can score, but only if takes a bit of a hometown discount nothing over $6m, I'd try to get him at $5.5m-$5.75m per - if not - meh let him go to the highest bidder.

Granted I can see Kane playing well with Horvat and Boeser, he'd add some much needed grit/spark on that line to take it up a notch, also takes a shit tonne of shots, good on the PK to boot and scores some clutch GWG's every season.

Baerstchi is better suited for a 2nd or 3rd line LW spot, to be that quality depth winger who can add some talent to the other lines, he just doesn't have that edge required to be on the number one line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 am I’m not sure I like the idea of Sutter, Eriksson and Del Zotto being the go-to mentors starting next fall. Another year under the Sedins would go a long way for Horvat and Boeser, IMO.
On the flip side, we might be a point now where the twins are holding the kids back.

As soon as next season? I doubt it. You cross that bridge when you get to it. Everything I’ve seen from the Sedins indicates they’ll go when they can’t help the team any longer (on and off the ice).