Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by $lacker »

Before I begin this post, I hope that you “the people” will stop and think about what I’m truly saying as a die hard Canuck fan. It is time. This current team is going no where and while we have a bright future it is time to move on from the twins. Why is there no talking in the media/fan base about trading the Sedins? The franchise/organization “owes” it to the Sedins to NOT trade them? No. We are in a rebuild. They know it, we know it, the whole league knows it. Trade the Sedins and get MAX value while they have value. THEY owe it to the organization to make this team better. Sign them in the off-season for another 1 year contract and let them be the “role models” etc. I know being away from their family for a couple of months is difficult... welcome
to the NHL and a reality for MOST of the players in the league. I’m shocked that this is going to just be let go by fans and media in what should be a rebuild to just let two of the biggest assets to *help* said rebuild continue on in this fashion. There are only a couple of weeks until the deadline - it’s time as a fan base to start putting pressure on media and ownership to make some smart decisions.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Elephant in the Room - Trade the Sedins

Post by Meds »

Actually -100.

So force them to waive their NMC’s?

Or did you forget about that?

Or do you mean up the fan and media pressure and run them out of town? And then hope they resign in the summer???? It’s a great way to ensure future stars like Boeser and Pettersson rush to the table to sign extensions too.

Your logic would stump the most astute Vulcan.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

$lacker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 pm THEY owe it to the organization to make this team better.
The Sedins do not owe the organization to make this team better, just like Sundin did not owe the Leaves. The Sedins generated revenue for the organization and earned their contracts.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

It’s not about running them out of town, this franchise is a BUSINESS. This team needs to acquire assets in order to move forward and trading the Sedins would be a massive step forward in doing so. They should WANT to be traded in order to help the team out and build for a stronger future. As a massive fan of this team, I want it to be run like a successful business would be run. Do you think Francesco would run his real estate business the same way? Comments such as yours are exactly why this franchise will never win a cup.
Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 pm -1

Actually -100.

So force them to waive their NMC’s?

Or did you forget about that?

Or do you mean up the fan and media pressure and run them out of town? And then hope they resign in the summer???? It’s a great way to ensure future stars like Boeser and Pettersson rush to the table to sign extensions too.

Your logic would stump the most astute Vulcan.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Sorry, but to me, "fandom" and "run like a successful business" are polar opposites.

If you want loyalty from the players, the club needs to show loyalty themselves.

Just like in real life!

Fuck that shit!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Comments on forums win or lose Stanley Cups?

:? :?:

Hockey players should WANT to get traded after showing a career of loyalty to "help" out the franchise they dedicated their professional lives to?

"Um, honey, we're choosing to help the team over you and the kids. Bye, see ya in July!"

So, normal joes should WANT to get laid off or forced to retire after loyally working for an employer, so that company can enjoy a stronger future? We should all be selfless and let cold, faceless corporations "run their business like a business to maximize their profits" and be grateful for getting kicked to the curb?

Francesco's "toy", this team & its goodwill have helped his family run their "real" business and made them even wealthier than before. Do you know their many projects, businesses and holdings? Have you seen the development around Roger's since his purchase of the team?

This regime would have been further along if there were already some assets drafted and developed instead of having 35-year old twins and an 18-year old future captain.

Even non-Sedins supporters think forcing them to waive on the last year of their contract is nonsense. They're the best players in franchise history, they're not Dan Hamhuis & Jason Garrison. The elephant in the room is Dumbo.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

$lacker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 pm Trade the Sedins and get MAX value while they have value.
That's prob the main thing, not sure if the Sedins have much value in the market right now. When we got Sundin, he was prob easily the best player in TO. The Sedins might be the 3rd and 4th best players on our team right now and even that's debatable. On most playoff teams, they prob have first liners who are much better than the Sedins right now. At best, the team would be getting the Sedins to help their 2nd line or 2nd unit PP. Honestly, if I were a playoff team, I'd rather go for Vanek over the Sedins. Most think that we'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Vanek, so what does that fetch for the Sedins, a 4th, maybe a 3rd round pick? If that's all we're going to get, it's almost like what's the point. Just let them be forever Canucks.

If we were trading the 2011 Sedins, we'd get max value. The 2015 Sedins prob still had some value, but right now, I can't see very many teams being interested.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So the point of the this thread to ask the fans to put pressure on the media, which will pressure the team to force two players to waive the NMCs?

Yes - the Sedins are assets, $14 million worth of assets. First find me the team(s) that will take on the salary. Make sure they're Cup contenders. Make sure they have assets we want in return. Once you have all of that ready to show us, maybe we'll talk.

In the meantime, remember you're asking two dedicated franchise players to bail on the team for a few months. Two players who have stuck with this team through highs and lows and become hall of fame players. Two players who show the prospects what's needed to succeed at the NHL level.

But yeah - lets make up an imaginary hockey trade to bully two of the best players to ever play for the franchise. Good luck with that.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Not going to happen.
First of all, they already said they are playing out the year and won't go anywhere. Full stop.
Secondly, are they really what a playoff bound team wants at this point? Do they have the gas and grit to be a factor in a long playoff run? At this stage of their careers, I doubt it.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

It's not about "bullying" them into anything, it is about doing what is best for the team. I want to win the cup and I'm assuming they do as well. I'm not suggesting shipping them off to Siberia FFS. God forbid they have to go off for 2 months and try and win a cup and then come back and sign with the Canucks, presumably a team that would now have more assets that would help bring them closer to winning here.

I love and appreciated the Sedin's and what they have done as much as the next guy, but I'm tired of tip toeing around their feelings and what they have done in the past. Maybe finding a trade partner is hard but they should at least be trying. It should at least be something on the table.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I wanted them gone but changed my mind, it would be nice to have them as a 3rd line next season eventually by this time next year.

It would be pretty awesome to have 3 scoring lines rolling IF Pettersson can get a line going on his own.

Horvat line
Pettersson line
Sedins line
Sutter/Gaudette line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I like this thread.

It is very white.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm I like this thread.

It is very white.
Skyo and his lines
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm

It is very white.
Skyo and his lines
Elephants
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm

It is very white.
Skyo and his lines
Elephants
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.