February/March/April OOTS

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: February/March/April OOTS

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 pm Got any links for that, or are you just being a brat?
drives a subaru
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Buffalo WINS! :shock:

Arizona is leading Tampa in the 3rd.

#TANKWARS
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hank wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:51 pm Buffalo WINS! :shock:

Arizona is leading Tampa in the 3rd.

#TANKWARS
4-1 final
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

But Ottawa and Detroit lost. Montreal beat Detroit so not all bad

I'm a bit concerned with the Ottawa and Detroit stink show right now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Just sit Gaudette out for the first 2 games.

I kid, I kid... :mrgreen:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Silly Flames were officially eliminated last night, Islander fans rejoicing...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

WTF
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blue Jackets beat Oilers 7-3.

Vanek with the hatty, now has 13 points in his last 10 games as a BJ (7 goals + 6 assists).

McDave with 3 points tonight (including his 40th goal of the season) giving him 48 points in his last in 28 games. :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Tanking = success? Not necessarily and not likely. This article takes a look at how well its been working for Buffalo, etc....

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/articl ... 786787.php

My view is that star players help a lot. But stars require support, on their line and, because they don't play every shift, off it. Oh, and stars aren't made on draft day. We've seen some great players drafted in the past view years, but hockey history is littered with draft busts and serviceable players who could have been stars.

Bottom line, particularly with the draft lottery the way it is, just play hockey and try to win. The Canucks injuries are convenient insofar as we are icing half the Comets, but I'd rather see them win than lose.... The past two games have been fun to watch because you can see it start to click for some of these guys. Goldobin, in particular, even though he isn't lighting the lamp, looks like a different player.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Goldy backing up and making the defensive play on an ill timed and ill fated lil' Trojan pinch has become a common site. I too have seen the improvements away from the puck and situational awareness. I think Jake moving to the 4th line is more about further grooming his 200' game and providing a threat on that line than any sort of demotion based on play.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:46 am Goldy backing up and making the defensive play on an ill timed and ill fated lil' Trojan pinch has become a common site. I too have seen the improvements away from the puck and situational awareness. I think Jake moving to the 4th line is more about further grooming his 200' game and providing a threat on that line than any sort of demotion based on play.
I agree that Virtanen slot in the lineup is based on attempting to groom him as opposed to a demotion, but I don't know that it is entirely about working a 200' game to get promoted in the lineup. I think that's the realistic and achievable expectation at this point is for Virtanen to be a solid part of a good third line. With all the talk about Virtanen's lack of defensive awareness, very little attention has been paid to his lack of offensive awareness and average finishing skills. Without that awareness or finish, he's not going to be a top 6 player.

But I am much warmer on him than a year ago. This season we've seen his primary attribute in action, and that is his straight away speed (aided by improving endurance so that he has gas left at the end of shifts -- a this-season thing); Virtanen as a counter attacking third line player makes perfect sense if he can get the defensive game up to snuff (and I think he can; the improvement this season has been consistent).

As for Goldobin, he is sort of developing a little like Mason Raymond with a less speed and better hands. I'd like to see him improve his neutral zone play off and on the puck, both on offensive transition and defensive transition. This was an underappreciated place where Raymond started showing significant value during his best couple seasons with the Canucks -- forechecking, picking pockets, making the obvious pass harder to make. And of course, in the defensive zone, Goldobin does not make himself available for first passes -- this has to change. But I love what we've seen the past couple games from Goldobin from a responsibility and compete level perspective. He is taking the extra strides and it is paying off, and I think this is exactly what he needs to do to stay in the Canucks' plans.
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Good observations on Goldy and Virtanen, this is the perfect time for Goldy to force his spot on the team for next season - to show Green that he can successfully transition from the AHL to the NHL & that entails making the smart plays all over the ice, and then create scoring chances at every opportunity - which is his bread and butter to stick in the NHL, to get mad points.

I think Goldy and Virtanen could be good 3rd line wingers next year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:16 pm Good observations on Goldy and Virtanen, this is the perfect time for Goldy to force his spot on the team for next season - to show Green that he can successfully transition from the AHL to the NHL & that entails making the smart plays all over the ice, and then create scoring chances at every opportunity - which is his bread and butter to stick in the NHL, to get mad points.

I think Goldy and Virtanen could be good 3rd line wingers next year.
To join Eriksson, Granlund, Lipstick, Sutter and a host of others on that line.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The contracts handed out in today's NHL aren't exactly "farm-friendly".
"evolution"