February/March/April OOTS

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: February/March/April OOTS

Post by ESQ »

The Sedin line was not slow in its peak. Daniel scored dozens of goals off the rush. If you don't believe me, go and ahead and type Daniel Sedin breakaway into YouTube.

It wasn't a line defined by its speed, because of the unreal passing abilities often displayed in the offensive zone. However, it's wrong to say that the Sedins are slow today, therefore they were always a slow line. Elite NHL players who score 100+ points are never slow in absolute terms, guys like the Sedins and Thornton were probably in the top 1/3 of the league for footspeed in their prime.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 pm HW, helps the Bruins best players their vets are only 29-32 (Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron), while the Sedins are 37 whom already play a slow game to begin with.

But imagine the 2011 Sedins with the current Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser and Pettersson/Gaudette.
Yeah it's absolutely amazing how the dingbats who bring up the Bruins retool on the fly never bring up how their star veteran leaders are much younger and in the prime of their careers than the old men Sedins. Yeah let's not bring that up. Marchand and Beregeron are two of some of the best players in the game right now, but no, apparently it's all McAvoy and Pasternak who are doing it for them.
Well, we have our own McEvoy on the way in Juolevi, according to some of the mouth breathers on this board
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 pm HW, helps the Bruins best players their vets are only 29-32 (Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron), while the Sedins are 37 whom already play a slow game to begin with.

But imagine the 2011 Sedins with the current Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser and Pettersson/Gaudette.
Yeah it's absolutely amazing how the dingbats who bring up the Bruins retool on the fly never bring up how their star veteran leaders are much younger and in the prime of their careers than the old men Sedins. Yeah let's not bring that up. Marchand and Beregeron are two of some of the best players in the game right now, but no, apparently it's all McAvoy and Pasternak who are doing it for them.
It's a transition. By the time Bergeron and Marchand are old men being phased out, McAvoy and Pasternak will be the leaders. Genius.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Yep, not really any surprise the Bruins are in a more tenable position thanks to key players from 2003-2006 drafts.

In the 15 drafts prior to Benning's first in 2014, the Canucks had 2 productive drafts - 1999 and 2004. They drafted literally nothing in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005-2011. From 05-11, Bruins drafted Kessel, Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Spooner, and Hamilton.

The Canucks had to trade their best draft pick from the deepest draft in NHL history (Kesler) to one team, and were able to get Sutter, Dorsett and Gudbranson out of it. The Bruins' pick is perennial-MVP and Selke candidate Bergeron.

SInce 2014, Bruins have converted 5 picks to NHL players - first-liner Pastrnak, depth FW Henein and Debrusk, and top-4D Carlo and McAvoy.

From Benning's picks, there's 5 NHL players - first-liner Boeser, depth FW, Virtanen and McCann, and depth-D Tryamkin and Forsling. Forsling netted a part of Sutter the trade, McCann netted a 24-year old top-4D. (I've let out guys like Demko, Gaudette, Pettersen etc. because I don't know who the Bruins' equivalents would be in their system).

There isn't a huge difference in Boston's drafting and developing vs the Canucks, except that they have had better luck with drafting Dmen (and yes, getting McAvoy at 14th oa and Carlo in the 2nd round is luck).

Had the Canucks gotten even one good player out of the draft from 2005-11, I doubt the Canucks are in the position they're in, let alone getting their leading scorer. Just look at the Canucks top-4 scorers - there's a 15-17 year spread from Bo/Boeser to the Sedins.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

McCann netted a top 4 d man ?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:24 pm Yep, not really any surprise the Bruins are in a more tenable position
Apparently it was a surprise to the management/ownership group that thought a rebuild on the fly was possible here.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

IF only Cody Hodgson turned into a top6 C that woulda helped the transition, but there was nothing really to help the team draft wise in the ol' gilly years.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:07 pm Apparently it was a surprise to the management/ownership group that thought a rebuild on the fly was possible here.
Nucklehead is still salty about getting conned...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ole Salty Nuckles is still embarrassed by his bouquet tossing at the job Chiarelli has done in Edmonton, calling it a fantastic rebuild by Chiapet, then came this season. What a disaster, everything Chiapet has done there is garbage. Not even McJesus can save that tire fire. 12 year rebuild in Edmonton and still going strong
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 pm McCann netted a top 4 d man ?
Still no response
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

McCann 8 goals 15 assists. Not quite as good as one of Bubbles all time favourites - Sam Bennett - 11 goals 15 assists. Foundational
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:53 pm McCann 8 goals 15 assists. Not quite as good as one of Bubbles all time favourites - Sam Bennett - 11 goals 15 assists. Foundational
Gudbranson , 8 points in a season, three wrestling matches and 50 hits . Top 4 on one NHL team
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm Top 4 on one NHL team
He's been Top 4 on two NHL teams thus far in his career.

And he's played on... let's see... two NHL teams.

:mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 91#p298891

You never did respond to that post there Artful Dodger.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm Top 4 on one NHL team
He's been Top 4 on two NHL teams thus far in his career.

And he's played on... let's see... two NHL teams.

:mex:
Still isn’t top 4 in minutes on this tire fire!!! LOL

Hit it once in Florida by a mere 10 seconds . Wouldn’t PLAY IN ANY teams top 4 and likely wouldn’t even make a few teams