What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What to do with the Sedins?

Trade them and say goodbye
10%
Trade them and re-sign them
24%
Cut them loose
15%
Keep them, but off the roster
2%
1 year contract
49%
2 year contract
No votes
More than 2 year contract
No votes

Total votes: 41

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol a real beat down.... I feel like Shane Corsons fist after Dana Murzyn attacked it with his face
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 am
Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 pm
Rocky Dennis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm I also wouldnt be surprised to see a two year deal even though it's been stated otherwise.
FFS Rocky, it's February and the twins still don't know if they want to come back for ONE more season, let alone two...
Dont get your knickers in a twist doc, this is the "what to do about the sedins thread", so tossing out ideas about them is the topic, no matter what month it is. I heard what they said and If they indeed have no clue what they are going to next year they better shit or get off the pot quick faat in a hurry so this team can properly proceed at the deadline and beyond. I think that saying they are undecided was just smoke myself, not quite sure the reasoning though.
I don't wear knickers. :mex:

All I'm saying is you are the only one who "wouldn't be surprised" to see a two year deal

... other than Mr Micky.

Most here would shocked if it were to happen... based on the information we have.

You and Mick are offering nothing to support this opinion other than what... gut instinct?

But hey that's fine, this is a forum for opinions.

Hey, ever notice that opinions are like assholes in that... this forum is full of both? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 am
Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm
micky107 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:30 pm This is why: The Sedins are pretty well rested right now, with all the long breaks and coach Green keeping their ice-time down.
Now you watch them pour the coals to it for the rest of the year and have everyone thinking, Holy Shit, these guys are still good.
Then: Upper management/Owners negotiate a new TWO year extension for five point five million EACH, call it a "home town discount" and:
There you are!!!!!
Don't say I didn't warn you. :bounce:
UMMMMMM... pretty obvious the Sedins are year-to-year now.

Neither side wants a "TWO year extension"...
So other than listening to the sports media rhetoric, you have been talking to the principals.
Good to know we have someone so well connected.
No, I've been listening intently to Hank, Dank, Jim, and Trev.

Micky, to what are YOU "so well connected"... your gut instinct? :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am
vic wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 am Just because there is cap space doesn’t mean it constantly needs to pissed away.
It's not your money so it doesn't make a difference - pissing away cap space only hurts contending teams. If the Canucks were considered a year or two away from a cup then 5 mil each is pissing away cap space because that money can be better spent elsewhere.

If the team has a shot at landing Tavares, Kane, Carlson and perhaps a Doughty or Karlsson in 2019 and they give the Sedins 2-3 years at 5 mil each, then yes they are pissing away cap space. Right now it's just a matter of icing the best team possible and like it or not, the twins are still top 6 forwards on this team and will be next year barring a big UFA signing or blockbuster trade.

The Make Believes giving Marleau a 6.25 mil cap hit for 3 years is an example of pissing away cap space. That's a team that could contend, but they don't have enough space now to add a final piece because they are paying a 37 year with 26 points on a stacked offensive team 6.2 for this and next year.

Henrik has been on the scoresheet for 25% of the Canuck's goals this season and will probably put up similar numbers next year.
Marleau is sitting at 15%.
No it isn’t my money but maybe the owners are tired of spending to the cap and having a garbage fire of a team when they could have the same garbage fire and put 10 million into their pockets. If the twins are signed to two year 10 million dollar contracts, that could really fuck up the cap in the summer of 2019 especially if the 17 minute man on defence is re-upped for four or five years at 4 or 5 million a year as many people on this board seem to desire. Brock will be needing a new deal pretty quickly too and so will an Edler replacement etc. Just because there is cap space now doesnt mean that can’t change rapidly.

Sedins have made it clear that they are looking at 1 year deals. Go back and read my post...If they get 2-3 years it's pissing away cap space.

As far as the owners are concerned, they get final say. It's not Benning's or Linden's signature on the contract, it's the owner's. If they don't want to spend the money they won't spend the money.

You're post was about cap space, not dollars. Fans shouldn't care about salaries, they should care about cap space and this team right now does not need cap space. They've actually set themselves up pretty good, even with the 6mil on Loui and 10 mil on the twins.

By the time Boeser is due, Sedins, Edler and MDZ will be off the roster. If Petersson and Juolevi become legit NHLers then Gagne, Sutter and Markstrom are off the books. By the time Horvat is set to sign his next deal, Loui's 6 is off the books.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 pm FFS Rocky, it's February and the twins still don't know if they want to come back for ONE more season, let alone two...
Dont get your knickers in a twist doc, this is the "what to do about the sedins thread", so tossing out ideas about them is the topic, no matter what month it is. I heard what they said and If they indeed have no clue what they are going to next year they better shit or get off the pot quick faat in a hurry so this team can properly proceed at the deadline and beyond. I think that saying they are undecided was just smoke myself, not quite sure the reasoning though.
Yeah, this is the most confusing aspect of this situation. It just doesn't make sense for the Sedins to announce retirement in the summer. I mean, who does that? Maybe it's a Swedish thing. Maybe it`s just smoke to keep fans interest up in seeing their last season, but to me it means they're coming back for another year.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why do they need to wait until the summer? What will change in the next 3-4 months?

Just resign for 1 year now at what ever value contract they sign for. Then JB knows what he has to work for in the off season.

Plus I think it is 90% sure they coming back unless there is something not smelling right at head office that we are not aware of.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm Why do they need to wait until the summer? What will change in the next 3-4 months?

Just resign for 1 year now at what ever value contract they sign for. Then JB knows what he has to work for in the off season.

Plus I think it is 90% sure they coming back unless there is something not smelling right at head office that we are not aware of.
How much cap space is left after signing Tavares, Kane and Carlson.

:drink:
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 pm
Rocky Dennis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm I also wouldnt be surprised to see a two year deal even though it's been stated otherwise.
FFS Rocky, it's February and the twins still don't know if they want to come back for ONE more season, let alone two...
I don't wear knickers. :mex:

All I'm saying is you are the only one who "wouldn't be surprised" to see a two year deal

... other than Mr Micky.

Most here would shocked if it were to happen... based on the information we have.

You and Mick are offering nothing to support this opinion other than what... gut instinct?

But hey that's fine, this is a forum for opinions.

Hey, ever notice that opinions are like assholes in that... this forum is full of both? :D
If by assholes you mean people that cant seem to read, then you sir are spot on.
I did not say two years was certain to happen nor did I say it was even the most likely scenario. I said I wouldnt be surprised to see it. My apologies, I thought it was clear that - I wouldnt be surprised to see it "IF it did happen" - was implied. Wouldn't be the first contract for this regime that is too long in term or too high in $. Right or wrong, The organization has often shown a tendency to view and treat the sedins differently then any other player. Which is why I would not be surprised should something like Mick's prediction come to fruition.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Let's hope they announce they're retiring with a week left in the season. Now, that would be class!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm Let's hope they announce they're retiring with a week left in the season. Now, that would be class!
Indeed it would!
Open some much needed doors too.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm If by assholes you mean people that cant seem to read, then you sir are spot on
True there is a bit of a communication failure here... and you sir have four fingers pointing back at yourself. :mex:

Rocky Dennis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:10 pm All I'm saying is you are the only one who "wouldn't be surprised" to see a two year deal

... other than Mr Micky.

I did not say two years was certain to happen nor did I say it was even the most likely scenario. I said I wouldnt be surprised to see it. My apologies, I thought it was clear that - I wouldnt be surprised to see it "IF it did happen" - was implied.
Not sure why you feel you were misunderstood... sir. :)

In context I wasn't saying it is your opinion that Sedins will certainly be re-signed to a 2-year deal.

In context I was saying it is your opinion that it should not be surprising if they were re-signed to a 2-year deal.

I hope this clarification clears up any misunderstanding...

Rocky Dennis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm I would not be surprised should something like Mick's prediction come to fruition.
... and most here would be surprised.

But as I say, this is a forum for opinions...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 amYes, in a league with a larger ice surface (providing more time and space, and less opportunity for hitting), and with far less tolerance for savagery.
I echo your concerns.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm Why do they need to wait until the summer? What will change in the next 3-4 months?

I think they will want to see what Jim does in the summer and what trades are made at the deadline.

It's kind of stupid really. If they want to come back and play next season they should tell Jim because he will build the roster accordingly. I don't mean he will cater to them, that time is done. But I do think that he will be making moves with an eye on having the 3rd line center and left-wing positions filled by the Sedins. That means that his 2nd and 4th lines need to be defensively sound, and his 4th line especially needs to have the chops to play defensive minutes against the opponent's top-6 group.

So by not saying anything they have put themselves on the sideline and Elmer has to conduct business as if they are not coming back and move forward without them. Then they can decide if they see themselves as a fit. But if they sit tight and say sweet nothing, Benning sure as shit better not factor them into anything.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:11 pm

I think they will want to see what Jim does in the summer and what trades are made at the deadline.

It's kind of stupid really. If they want to come back and play next season they should tell Jim because he will build the roster accordingly. I don't mean he will cater to them, that time is done. But I do think that he will be making moves with an eye on having the 3rd line center and left-wing positions filled by the Sedins. That means that his 2nd and 4th lines need to be defensively sound, and his 4th line especially needs to have the chops to play defensive minutes against the opponent's top-6 group.

So by not saying anything they have put themselves on the sideline and Elmer has to conduct business as if they are not coming back and move forward without them. Then they can decide if they see themselves as a fit. But if they sit tight and say sweet nothing, Benning sure as shit better not factor them into anything.

I think that it’s a huge decision for them. They have pretty much gold plated careers to consider how to wind up.

Do they come back and embarrass themselves or do they hang em up with dignity ?

If they can still contribute how do 20 year warriors walk away from all they have known?

I think they have earned the right to be in the drivers seat on this one.

As far as Benning is concerned it’s not hard to imagine the genius has plan A, B, C and D up his sleeve.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah I doubt Benning has anything up his sleeve. Unless his sleeve is up his ass trying to yank his head out.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”