What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What to do with the Sedins?

Trade them and say goodbye
10%
Trade them and re-sign them
24%
Cut them loose
15%
Keep them, but off the roster
2%
1 year contract
49%
2 year contract
No votes
More than 2 year contract
No votes

Total votes: 41

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do about the Sedins? (Poll)

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 pm Yeah Sedins aren't going to waive their NMCs. :roll:

They bleed blue and green!
You'd think if they "BLEED" blue and green,that they'd retire or be traded for help for the Canucks...if not I guess they are retards.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Bleeding blue and green meaning the idea of playing for another team sickens them...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Why wouldn't you keep them year-to-year?

They've been punching bags throughout their time here, and continue to be (see: this thread). They're the perfect heat-magnets to shelter/mentor the kids on playing in a Canadian market.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 pm Yeah Sedins aren't going to waive their NMCs. :roll:

They bleed blue and green!
Even if Benning crafted a Ray Bourque get me a Stanley cup ring kind of trade ?

Would rings make them a lock for the Hall?

Would that even be a consideration for them ?

Pittsburgh maybe ?

Then bring them back on a One year at a time basis
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ukcanuck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 am Would rings make them a lock for the Hall?
I thought they already are?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 am
ukcanuck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 am Would rings make them a lock for the Hall?
They are. Take ten+ years though.
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 am
Are they ?

I don’t know, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were snubbed. Eastern bias and all that.

Plus it seems that Lindros is not a lock, he has all the same kinds of awards and accolades and no Stanley cup ring...

I wonder if any of this even really matters to the Sedins ??
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eric Lindros is already in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Perhaps you were thinking of Brett Lindros :hmmm:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 am Eric Lindros is already in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Perhaps you were thinking of Brett Lindros :hmmm:
He is? Lol I guess I must have been drinking cheap whiskey the night I read about his return to Philadelphia and raising his number to the rafters ;)

Never mind then :p
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sedi ... on-future/

Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet
January 23, 2018, 12:46 PM (PST)

If this is his final National Hockey League season, at least Henrik Sedin is still doing everything he can to help the Vancouver Canucks.

The 37-year-old captain said he and his brother Daniel will try to accommodate management’s request to know by the Feb. 26 trade deadline whether the Sedins will return next fall for their 18th seasons with the Canucks.

Even with an unprecedented number of offensive prospects playing their way towards the NHL, the Canucks are far from having nine forwards better than the Sedins. Both are among the Canucks’ top four in scoring this season, Henrik with 32 points in 47 games and Daniel with 30 in 46.

But since rookie coach Travis Green bestowed more ice time on the Sedins during an injury avalanche that began two months ago, the Swedes have scored nearly a point per game.

"There’s family, there’s how we feel physically and mentally," he said. "There’s a lot of different things."

Henrik reiterated that the Sedins are likely to stay in Vancouver after they retire but, of course, doesn’t know when that will be.

He said if he and his brother decide to play another season, contracts and salaries won’t be an issue.

"I’m not going to pay to play," he said. "It’s going to be a fair deal either way. You might say he signed for a little bit too much or a little bit too less. But it never is a major thing with money. It never has been for us, anyway.
Some people in this thread have been concerned about having their cap-hit on the books next year.

I don't see how that would be a problem.

The contracts will be fair... and what else would you want to do with that capspace?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm The contracts will be fair... and what else would you want to do with that capspace?
There's a few posters who want to start the new era and move on and cut ties and turn the page and never see a Sedin sewn on the back of a Canucks jersey past July 1st.

From what I can tell, they expect :

a) kids will fill the roster spots
b) we can sign 2 FA at the same price who won't be named Sedin

Mostly (b) from what I've been reading as I'm not sure what kids are coming up next year? And if it's Pettersson, then I can imagine him being a lot better off with the Sedins around to mentor and show him what it means to be a pro in every aspect.

As for UFAs, we might get a Vanek, likely not 2, to fill a spot. We'll likely overpay and / or have to give term to what will essentially be another placeholder(s). Maybe we sign two more Loui E's?

As soon these few posters (Skyo? Mick?) realize the Twinsition™ has one more year left, then we can start start talking about what role they'll be playing next year.

One more year - 3rd line mentors, filling in when the injuries happen. Signing somewhere between 3-4 for the year, and likely just a little more than what Blobby expects so he'll have something to grumble about. Doc and Dude (Docndude™?) will hail the signings as another genius move by our generational GM. Topper will make an obscure reference that goes over the heads of 90% of the posters, and the lurkers will continue to be too shy to come out of the shadows. You heard it here first! :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 pm As soon these few posters (Skyo? Mick?) realize the Twinsition™ has one more year left...
Do you think they could handle it if I told them there will be a series of one-year Sedin contracts?

Or should I not mention that... yeah best not mention that.

Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 pm ... and the lurkers will continue to be too shy to come out of the shadows.
I'd like to drag those lurkers out of the shadows force them to post!!! :evil:

Oh... errr... that is...

Dear lurkers, don't be shy, we love you!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 pm As soon these few posters (Skyo? Mick?) realize the Twinsition™ has one more year left...
Do you think they could handle it if I told them there will be a series of one-year Sedin contracts?
Baby steps, Doc.... baby steps...
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

For those poll respondents who don't want to move the Sedins to a contender at the deadline for prospect/picks, (and then, potentially, re-sign them in the off-season) what is your objection ?

Do you just think it would be impossible, or a bad idea for some reason ? If the latter, what reason ?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm For those poll respondents who don't want to move the Sedins to a contender at the deadline for prospect/picks, (and then, potentially, re-sign them in the off-season) what is your objection ?

Do you just think it would be impossible, or a bad idea for some reason ? If the latter, what reason ?
For me only .... I didn’t think they would do that. So I went with the 1 year option
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….