Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10083
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Why not just post I’m a troll and I have no point. Anyone who doesn’t think Tanev is the teams best dman is a fucking blind mongoloid...... speaking of which I seem to know three
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16641
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Strangelove » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:stalwart ... I don’t see one of those other than perhaps Tanev.
Interesting definition you're running with there Blobberanne. :santa:

Again, lots of teams lost assets in the expansion draft.

Blob Blob Blob, Blob Blobberanne, Blob Blob Blob, Blob Blobberanne...
Tanev is a stalwart. Not only the best d man on the team, but also the best player
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stalwart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

:santa:
Why not just post I’m a troll and I have no point. Anyone who doesn’t think Tanev is the teams best dman is a fucking blind mongoloid...... speaking of which I seem to know three
Relax friend, folks aren't saying you're a troll, folks are saying...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stupid

We believe that you don't understand you're a strawman builder!

(even when presented with the definition)

We believe that you don't understand no one compared Sbisa to Tanev!

(except you, for reasons known only by you)

We believe that you don't understand the definition of "stalwart"!

(even when presented with the definition)

We believe that you don't understand GMJB is a genius compared to you!

(I mean, how could you)

But hey don't worry about ever going back to rehab or anything... :look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Jovocop wrote:Given GMJB's drafting ability, I don't think 40ish overall pick would be that much different than a 30ish overall pick.
I'm not sure there's a way we could tell. It would not be to GMJB's advantage to disclose whom he would have picked if he had a higher draft position. The one time I can recall him commenting on the relative advantages of draft position, it was to describe the drop-off in NHL-readiness past a certain point.

What is fairly certain, however, is that more draft picks yield a higher likelihood of drafting the player(s) the Canucks need, and if they are in a playoff position at the 2018 deadline, they will be unlikely to swap vets for more picks, even though they have almost no chance of winning the Cup this year.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11194
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Gaunce and cap
Gaunce was also unprotected.

But if Sbisa was a stalwart , 3.6 million is fuck all and he either should have been protected or their were teams lining up to trade for him. You’ve been exposed

Blob you know why he was left unprotected. It had something to do with expansion lottery rules. You know, those silly irrelevant things. Like you could only protect "x" Dmen. Something silly and nerdy. But of course spin away.
But these men said he was a stalwart and I don’t see one of those other than perhaps Tanev.And if he was stalwart teams would have been lining up to acquire him
George McPhee most certainly thinks he's Stalwart, as with anyone who has been following the G Knights closely

Stalwart you say? - Buyout Booth and Buyout Ballard

Grabner 27 goals last season. 9 goals in 22 games this season
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Jovocop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Given GMJB's drafting ability, I don't think 40ish overall pick would be that much different than a 30ish overall pick.
I'm not sure there's a way we could tell. It would not be to GMJB's advantage to disclose whom he would have picked if he had a higher draft position. The one time I can recall him commenting on the relative advantages of draft position, it was to describe the drop-off in NHL-readiness past a certain point.

What is fairly certain, however, is that more draft picks yield a higher likelihood of drafting the player(s) the Canucks need, and if they are in a playoff position at the 2018 deadline, they will be unlikely to swap vets for more picks, even though they have almost no chance of winning the Cup this year.
Nothing is certain. However, I would love to see the Canucks having a chance to compete in the playoffs instead of playing golf in April. Young players like Horvat, Boeser, and Virtanen will be benefited from even a round of playoffs.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2144
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Jovocop wrote: Well said Todd!!
Thnx dood.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Well, Doc and I have been talking about a dynasty -- partly as a yardstick for hockey management genius.

You're talking about what you think the ownership/management group is trying to do; I'm talking about what I think they should be trying to do. I think it's been pretty clear those aren't always the same.

The ownership/management group might well be trying to make the playoffs this year. I think that in the long run, that would be contrary to the ultimate goal.

(Players and coaches should always be trying to win.)
Ah, k k. U were responding to my post, so I thought u were mainly discussing my comments. Think I'm with u though. If it were my call, I'd tank for one more year (this season) and suck it up as it's supposed to be a good draft. Then load up with UFAs and push for the playoffs next year. Oh well, what's done is done. Not much we can do now. Some of the UFAs we picked up are playing really well and are exciting to watch (ie: Vanek, Nielsson and Del Zotto a bit).

We have lots of promising prospects developing all over the place, which is great for the future of the franchise. The only thing we're really missing is that blue chip franchise superstar player, but Brock is looking like he can become that guy right now. Maybe Petterson as well. Presently, the team is playing well, so just enjoy the ride. It's probably the Sedin's last season, might as well give them every opportunity to go out with a bang. :D

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Well said Todd!!
Thnx dood.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Well, Doc and I have been talking about a dynasty -- partly as a yardstick for hockey management genius.

You're talking about what you think the ownership/management group is trying to do; I'm talking about what I think they should be trying to do. I think it's been pretty clear those aren't always the same.

The ownership/management group might well be trying to make the playoffs this year. I think that in the long run, that would be contrary to the ultimate goal.

(Players and coaches should always be trying to win.)
Ah, k k. U were responding to my post, so I thought u were mainly discussing my comments. Think I'm with u though. If it were my call, I'd tank for one more year (this season) and suck it up as it's supposed to be a good draft. Then load up with UFAs and push for the playoffs next year. Oh well, what's done is done. Not much we can do now. Some of the UFAs we picked up are playing really well and are exciting to watch (ie: Vanek, Nielsson and Del Zotto a bit).

We have lots of promising prospects developing all over the place, which is great for the future of the franchise. The only thing we're really missing is that blue chip franchise superstar player, but Brock is looking like he can become that guy right now. Maybe Petterson as well.
I am optimistic about Petterson in that role, but less confident that Juolevei will grow into the defenceman we hoped for. Not saying it won't happen, just that we haven't seen as many positive signs.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Presently, the team is playing well, so just enjoy the ride.
See that's just it: I can't enjoy the ride if I'm not confident that the driver knows how to get there. I'm glad you and Jovocop are having fun, at least.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Jovocop wrote:Nothing is certain.
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Canuck luck
Jovocop wrote: However, I would love to see the Canucks having a chance to compete in the playoffs instead of playing golf in April.
It is, ultimately, the entertainment business. I would like to see the Canucks win a Cup. If you think the fastest route involves a trip to the playoffs in 2018, then I hope you are, as Bersnoozi suggests, enjoying the ride.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12643
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Given GMJB's drafting ability, I don't think 40ish overall pick would be that much different than a 30ish overall pick.
I'm not sure there's a way we could tell. It would not be to GMJB's advantage to disclose whom he would have picked if he had a higher draft position. The one time I can recall him commenting on the relative advantages of draft position, it was to describe the drop-off in NHL-readiness past a certain point.

What is fairly certain, however, is that more draft picks yield a higher likelihood of drafting the player(s) the Canucks need, and if they are in a playoff position at the 2018 deadline, they will be unlikely to swap vets for more picks, even though they have almost no chance of winning the Cup this year.

Well Linden did disclose that had they won the draft lottery, or one of the top two positions, they were not going to select either of the players that went 1-2. So Nico and Nolan were not our first choice(s). He did not disclose if it still would have been Pettersson however. I remember thinking, thank gawd we didn't win the draft lottery. Can you imagine how insane the fan base would have been after passing on Taychook to pass on one of those two? It was bad enough that he passed on Glass!
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11194
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 pm

I believe Bennings list looked like this

1. Pettersen
2. Heiskanen
3. Makar
4. Hischier
5. Patrick

Heiskanen along with Pettersen has been lights out this season as well. Not sure how Makar's college rookie season is going but I gotta think Pettersen and Heiskanen were their top two on their list.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2144
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote: I am optimistic about Petterson in that role, but less confident that Juolevei will grow into the defenceman we hoped for. Not saying it won't happen, just that we haven't seen as many positive signs.
I was a bit concerned for Juolevi as well, but it seems like he's off to a good start in the Finnish pro league, just under a point a game. Not sure he can keep that pace, but it's encouraging. He may never become that franchise D-man we were hoping for, but it looks like he should at least become a steady top 4 (Hamhuis type).
See that's just it: I can't enjoy the ride if I'm not confident that the driver knows how to get there.
Well, we can criticize JB for some of the trades and contracts he handed out, but boy, the guy can draft. He can find good prospects out of his ass, he literally shits them out. *LOL* He seems to make great picks in the late 1st to 3rd rounds, a whole slew of them. 4th round and after is a big drop, but it's pretty much a crap shoot and long shots by then. (Note: he picked Gaudette + Forsling in the 5th round, which is pretty damn good.)

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Well Linden did disclose that had they won the draft lottery, or one of the top two positions, they were not going to select either of the players that went 1-2. So Nico and Nolan were not our first choice(s). He did not disclose if it still would have been Pettersson however. I remember thinking, thank gawd we didn't win the draft lottery. Can you imagine how insane the fan base would have been after passing on Taychook to pass on one of those two? It was bad enough that he passed on Glass!
That is more information about their draft preferences than I thought we would have access to. Still, I do not expect they would say anything about how much they might have preferred any other draft position, as that would be a deflating insult to Pettersen.

If the Canucks had won the lottery, and the ownership/management group was confident that other clubs wanted different players, they could have traded down to recoup additional assets. That would have made any other pick more palatable with the fan base. So, I still think it's unfortunate that the Canucks didn't win the lottery.
RoyalDude wrote:I believe Bennings list looked like this

1. Pettersen
2. Heiskanen
3. Makar
4. Hischier
5. Patrick
Interesting. How did you come by this information ? Or is it just speculation on your part ?

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Well, we can criticize JB for some of the trades and contracts he handed out, but boy, the guy can draft. He can find good prospects out of his ass, he literally shits them out. *LOL* He seems to make great picks in the late 1st to 3rd rounds, a whole slew of them. 4th round and after is a big drop, but it's pretty much a crap shoot and long shots by then. (Note: he picked Gaudette + Forsling in the 5th round, which is pretty damn good.)
So far, it sure looks like he can draft, but remember, most of these picks have yet to play out.

It may turn out that if a GM can draft well, any other deficiency in his management game is fully compensated for by that skill. That would be an interesting result.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3527
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why not just post I’m a troll and I have no point. Anyone who doesn’t think Tanev is the teams best dman is a fucking blind mongoloid...... speaking of which I seem to know three
CC is the new CP.

Doc is the new Bingo except he doesn’t kick you out.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12643
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2017/18 1st Quarter Report Card

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Well Linden did disclose that had they won the draft lottery, or one of the top two positions, they were not going to select either of the players that went 1-2. So Nico and Nolan were not our first choice(s). He did not disclose if it still would have been Pettersson however. I remember thinking, thank gawd we didn't win the draft lottery. Can you imagine how insane the fan base would have been after passing on Taychook to pass on one of those two? It was bad enough that he passed on Glass!
That is more information about their draft preferences than I thought we would have access to. Still, I do not expect they would say anything about how much they might have preferred any other draft position, as that would be a deflating insult to Pettersen.

If the Canucks had won the lottery, and the ownership/management group was confident that other clubs wanted different players, they could have traded down to recoup additional assets. That would have made any other pick more palatable with the fan base. So, I still think it's unfortunate that the Canucks didn't win the lottery.
RoyalDude wrote:I believe Bennings list looked like this

1. Pettersen
2. Heiskanen
3. Makar
4. Hischier
5. Patrick
Interesting. How did you come by this information ? Or is it just speculation on your part ?
He did try to trade down. But no takers. Once our pick came up he selected. Almost had Vegas bite on a swap of picks but McPhee called his bluff that Glass would still be there.

And Benning got criticized for telegraphing his pick.
The only HW the Canucks need

Post Reply