1-2 / 2-3/ how many years? Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

When will the Canucks win their next playoff series?

2017-18
12%
2018-19
27%
2019-20
27%
2020-21
23%
2021-22
4%
Later
8%

Total votes: 26

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

1-2 / 2-3/ how many years? Poll

Post by Cornuck »

So - it's summer and everyone seems to be running out of insults. ;)

Time for a prediction thread. "When will the Canucks win their next playoff series?"

I think that once we win a series, we can consider the team will back on the road to relevance. Will it be 2-3 years™ from now? Sooner?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: 1-2 / 2-3/ how many years? Poll

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The entire world doesn't give this current team any chance at succeeding.

They are probably right, BUT...
hey what's wrong with hoping if everything goes right (and that's a lot of things**) this team could surprise in what could be the Sedins swan song year, unless they go Ron Francis style and play on in a 3rd line role el cheapo $2m/$3m per one-year deal(s). I said Francis as he was also a slow skater & extremely talented.

** 1) Health
2) Finding chemistry up front and on defense to produce way more goals
3) Goalies surprise performance
4) Coach Green finds a way to get this rag tag of unproven youth, intermediate vets and vet vets to reach their full potential.
5) Need a golden child to rise from the ashes here lately.

That's all.

So what I'm trying to say is this current team could/maybe sneak into the playoffs and surprise if a lot of shit goes right.

Having said that, to be a true contender it's gonna be when Pettersson/Juolevi etc are ready and able to contribute along with the current youth in the Canucks program, which is probably going to be about 3 years minimum.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:4
So you feel as though the Canucks will go straight from missing the playoffs to competing for a Cup?

I'm cautiously optimistic that the get back into the playoffs in 2018/19 and could surprise but really win a round again in 2019/2020 should be a more realistic goal, possibly winning a couple.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote:
So you feel as though the Canucks will go straight from missing the playoffs to competing for a Cup?

I'm cautiously optimistic that the get back into the playoffs in 2018/19 and could surprise but really win a round again in 2019/2020 should be a more realistic goal, possibly winning a couple.
I'm saying 4 years to win their first round but probably make the playoffs in 3 years.

This is perfect timing based upon the age of the players.

Would I like sooner? Sure who wouldn't but not to get blown out first round and we pick 17-20.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Follow-up question: assuming the current management group lasts until the Canucks next win a round of the playoffs, what is the latest year for such a victory that you would consider to represent at least a "good" job on the rebuild ?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

I'm saying 4 years to win their first round but probably make the playoffs in 3 years.

Would I like sooner? Sure who wouldn't but not to get blown out first round and we pick 17-20.
That last sentence is the one that drives me crazy!
Reef, if you keep buying lottery tickets, your gonna run out of money and be broke. :bang:
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

That last sentence is the one that drives me crazy!
Reef, if you keep buying lottery tickets, your gonna run out of money and be broke. :bang:
When it comes to lottery, I prefer the scratch ticket metaphor.....I would rather win a free play early than have the jackpot chance dangling right up until the last box where it is mercilessly ripped away and you get nothing.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

2017-18 - I don't see us making the playoffs this year - a top 10 pick

2018-19 - A possibility to make the playoffs, but could also be the first year after the Twinsition has ended, so it could be another tough year - a top 12 pick

2019-20 - Now we have the kids taking over and developing with a full new core and starting to make some noise. This should be a playoff year if our prospects develop to even 75% of what we're dreaming expecting. A playoff round should happen, and it's possible we could win 4 games.

2020-21 - Now the new core is in place (again, assuming all goes well with development of the current prospects) and we should be looking past the first round for the first time a long time.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cornuck wrote:again, assuming all goes well with development of the current prospects
Agreed, even the least optimistic scenario requires that a better-than-league-average proportion of picks hit a better-than-league-average degree of their potential.

The reasons that this is anything more than blind hope are that the prospects have been, and are expected to continue to be, taken at higher-than-league-average draft positions (which is why some of us don't want to see the Canucks creep too far up the regular season standings too early) by a GM with a reputation for astute drafting.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Only thing that can expedite the rebuild faster is if a couple of the youth develop more pro scoring skill than expected, along with the usual young suspects keep on becoming scoring pros like Bo, Bart, Grans, Stecher, Hutton.

And I think Gagner could low-key be a great help to our young wingers and our ol' vet Eriksson, plus MDZ to boost our sagging defense.

I like that they don't have heavy expectations here thanks to their low contracts compared to Loui.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It's all such a crapshoot right now there are numerous scenarios with equal probability, though I kinda agree with Corn's assessment as the most likely (if only barely). The only certainty is that fans on this board will continue to overestimate our chances of making the playoffs, winning a round, or some other fantasy which gives our lives meaning :D