The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm

:roll:
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 am

Craig Button says.....

Moving along, nothing to see here.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 am

Meds wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 am
Craig Button says.....

Well, we're citing Eklund in the trade rumor thread, might as well cite Button in the draft thread! :drink:

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 pm
So when people say (as they often do) "Best Player Available", do they most usually mean:

a) player with the highest ceiling

b) player with the highest floor

c) player with the highest average of those two values

OR, in as much as the reasoning behind this philosophy seems to be that any imbalance in team composition created as a result of following it can be rectified via solid hockey trade

d-f) as for a-c, but with respect to projected trade value, rather than ability?
Interesting question and one that probably deserves its own thread.

I tend to think that it is a combination of (a) and (b) but not an average as you set out in (c).

Some players may be pretty much a lock to make the NHL but in the capacity of role players or lower level players (bottom six O/ bottom pairing D) which would correlate with your option (b). Other players may have extremely high potential but less certainty as to whether they will actually stick which would correlate with your option (a).

I lean towards an emphasis on (a) while still recognizing the importance of (b). If I had to put that into numbers it would probably be near the 70% (a) and 30% (b).

Every team needs both high-end players and lower-end players but it's much easier to acquire the latter through trade or UFA signings. Hence, it is best/easiest if a team can acquire its high-end players through the draft which is why I feel that an emphasis should be placed on obtaining such players in that manner.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Bob McKenzie on his podcast: "If the Montreal Canadiens were to take Kotkaniemi at number 3, this is no longer an off the board pick" Mentions multiple NHL scouts he surveyed have the finnish centre ranked above Zadina/Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi could be this years Dubois, jumping past everyone.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Has anyone seen Kotkaniemi play? I haven’t. What’s this guys deal? Barkov type?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

ESQ wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 am
Meds wrote:
Craig Button says.....

Well, we're citing Eklund in the trade rumor thread, might as well cite Button in the draft thread! :drink:
Button is whoring himself for a paycheque, I actually believe he is no better than your average fan when it comes to scouting, like all media scribes.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 pm
Has anyone seen Kotkaniemi play? I haven’t. What’s this guys deal? Barkov type?
Just could be a big two-way scoring type like a Scheifele I've heard.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl- ... s-scouting
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm
ESQ wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 am
Meds wrote:
Craig Button says.....

Button is whoring himself for a paycheque, I actually believe he is no better than your average fan when it comes to scouting, like all media scribes.
Forget Button then...who does this for a living and lives/breathes projecting prospects, then how about the guy who played a hardcore/hardnose NHL style of game and is now a coach Dale Hunter?
Dale Hunter praised Evan Bouchard with a Capital compliment Wednesday.

When asked what kind of defenceman the NHL prospect is shaping up to become, the London head coach brought up Washington rearguard John Carlson, the former Knight.

“They’re both offensive D and (Bouchard) is right there (at the same age),” Hunter said. “He’s big and strong. He can skate and shoot and he’s got a good head. The numbers may be there too. He’ll be right around there.”

“He’s a good leader and cares about his teammates,” Hunter added. “Everyone likes him. He’s one of those kids and that’s why we named him captain.

“He works out hard off the ice and wants to be a player.”

If he turns out like Carlson — who was a bargain at No. 27 in the 2008 NHL draft — he’ll enjoy a memorable pro career.

“I’m just trying to lead by example, and hopefully, everyone follows,” Bouchard said. “We’re coming together well as a team, playing good hockey and that’s my focus.”

http://lfpress.com/2018/01/31/london-kn ... e43193048f

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Cam Robinson’s 2018 Draft Rankings (Top 130) – Final Edition

https://dobberprospects.com/cam-robinso ... l-edition/
1. Rasmus Dahlin / LHD / 6’3 185lbs / 04-13-00 (SHL)
2. Andrei Svechnikov / RW / 6’2 192lbs / 03-26-00 (OHL)

3. Quinn Hughes / LHD / 5’10 174lbs / 10-14-99 (NCAA)

A consummate playmaker who boasts the elite speed needed to thrive at his stature. The youngest player in the NCAA this season, his confidence continued to build all season long. He was tremendous for Michigan down the stretch and looked more than capable at the World Championships. The best skater in this class and a one-man breakout machine. He can run a power play with the best of them. Needs some more pop on his shot.

4. Filip Zadina
/ RW / 6’ 196lbs / 11-27-99 (QMJHL)

5. Oliver Wahlstrom / RW / 6’1 208lbs / 06-13-00 (USNTDP)

Owns the best release in the class. The goal-scoring forward doesn’t shy away from attacking dangerous scoring areas and boasts strong speed and quick feet. A volume-shooter who is deadly from the left circle on the power-play. Feasts on penalty killers. Terrific pure puck skills. Off to Boston College in the fall. This kid is going to score a boatload of goals in the NHL.

6. Noah Dobson
/ RHD / 6’3 177lbs / 01-07-00 (QMJHL)

A right-shot defender who has all the tools to be an all-around top-four producer. Had a terrific year with Acadia-Bathurst of the QMJHL, leading them to a Memorial Cup victory. Brings high-end processing ability, soft hands and a willingness to take calculated risks. A smooth and powerful skater. Often logs 30-plus minutes a night with ease. Reminiscent of Alex Pietrangelo.

7. Jesperi Kotkaniemi / C/LW / 6’2 181lbs / 07-06-00 (Liiga)

Great puck skills, vision and processing skills, but skating still a work in progress. Offers a clunky stride that doesn’t generate a ton of top-end power. That didn’t stop him from putting up more than respectable numbers Liiga though, albeit from the wing. A strong Five Nations and U18 tournaments while playing the middle of the ice should convince scouts that’s where he belongs long term. May not be flashy, but gets the job done. Appears to have the highest upside of the centres in this crop.

8. Adam Boqvist / RHD / 5’11.5 165lbs / 08-15-00 (SuperElit)

Dynamic puck skills, terrific vision, high-end quickness, top speed, smarts, and a heavy shot. His late birthday means he is just a month away from being eligible for the 2019 class further illustrating how massive his potential is. Has a big shot and loves to unload it. Concluding his season against peers at the U18’s was exactly what he needed to demonstrate his elite skillset. Oozes potential but carries a touch of risk.

9. Brady Tkachuk / LW / 6’2 192lbs / 09-16-99 (NCAA)

The elder statesman of the 2018 crop missed last year’s draft by a single day. Had an adequate season as one of the younger players in the NCAA, but his lights out World Junior showing moved the needle for many. His hands are soft, his shot his heavy and he plays an abrasive, pro-style game. He’ll be a fan favourite.

10. Joel Farabee / LW / 6’ 162lbs / 02-25-00 (USNTDP)

Slight and slippery, he feasts on oppositions with his vision and his finishing ability. A great skater who works tirelessly in all three zones. Had a tremendous season with the USNTDP this year. He thrived while playing with Wahlstrom and 2019-eligible super-prospect, Jack Hughes, and didn’t miss a beat while anchoring his own line. Needs to add strength but does all the little things that make players successful. Can hurt the opposition during all situations. He’ll add strength and that will only further his impact. Off to BU in the fall.

11. Dominik Bokk / LW-RW / 6’1 176lbs / 02-03-00 (SuperElit)

Agile, quick hands, elusive in the offensive zone and makes a habit of landing on the scoresheet. Big-time J20 season and received a cup of coffee in the SHL. He’s just getting started after transitioning from the German league where the quality of competition wasn’t high enough. If you like high-octane skill, you’ll love Bokk.

12. Ty Smith / LHD / 5’11 176lbs / 03-24-00 (WHL)

The dynamic two-way defender continued to display his full arsenal of weapons with Spokane this season. The former first overall pick in the 2015 WHL bantam draft, Smith is a tremendous skater who demonstrates poise and patience with the puck. His outlets are crisp and his head is always up. He’s a player you fall in love with because he always makes the right play. Clicked at over a point-per-game this season. High ceiling and high floor – What’s not to like?

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm
Cam Robinson’s 2018 Draft Rankings (Top 130) – Final Edition

https://dobberprospects.com/cam-robinso ... l-edition/

8. Adam Boqvist / RHD / 5’11.5 165lbs / 08-15-00 (SuperElit)

His late birthday means he is just a month away from being eligible for the 2019 class further illustrating how massive his potential is.
With the rankings at 2-11 as close as they are, this is the factor that makes me think Boqvist likely has the highest ceiling in that group.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

BOQVIST is the ultimate boom or bust pick, could be the next Erik Karlsson, or some future SHL full time dman, but imesho he'll be the next Sami Vatanen, 5'10 - 185lbs right shot QB, avg 30-35 pts per season.

Why he'll likely drop in the draft a bit, add in his injury issues/concussions, he could slide all the way to Chitown/NY or even Edmonton.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:31 am

With Bouchard, it’s a question of whether management is convinced his skating issues are fixable with some work on technique. Speed is one thing, but his edge work apparently needs improvement as well. If he fixes his skating, a pretty good chance he reaches his ceiling and sooner than the others on the draft board not named Dahlin. Problem is I think there are a couple defensemen there who have higher ceilings with reasonable odds to reach them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 am

Bouchard’s skating makes me nervous. The more I see, the less I like him as a pick. I think he’ll be burned on the outside often and unable to close the gap when faced with NHL speed. He may improve enough, but it is a significant risk. He may be able to survive as a pp qb, and pass real well but I don’t think he’ll ever be a good puck rusher.

For the Canuck’s pick (admittedly using positional need to break some ties between some pretty evenly ranked talents), I’m thinking Dobson = Boqvist > Tkachuk > Wahlstrom > Hughes > Bouchard > Kotkaniemi
We are all Jim Benning.

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 am

SKYO wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm
BOQVIST is the ultimate boom or bust pick, could be the next Erik Karlsson, or some future SHL full time dman, but imesho he'll be the next Sami Vatanen, 5'10 - 185lbs right shot QB, avg 30-35 pts per season.

Why he'll likely drop in the draft a bit, add in his injury issues/concussions, he could slide all the way to Chitown/NY or even Edmonton.
My gut tells me Boquist is our target and I'm ok with that. Elite skill is what's lacking with vcrs ass end and he checks alot of the boxes. Maybe Jimbro can bulk buy joe weider work out powder from costco for his skinny swedish kids
nobody forks...with the jesus