The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 pm Getting this thread back on track after it was once again rudely derailed .... I still say best player available and if you don’t land 1st and get Dahlin, the next three guys right now (could change closer to the draft) are forwards. Trade for a D man if you need to or beg Tryamkin to come back but do not pass up on Svechnikov or Tkachuk or Zadina. These guys all project as top line forwards.

Unless you are getting a serious add from a team to drop back three or four spots out of that top four it’s crazy to reach for a defenceman again.
Reminds me of how during this curent Oiler 12 year long rebuild where they have 10 lottery picks and how they've only drafted one defenceman - Nurse. How's that going for them?

2007 - Gagner (6th)
2008 - Eberle (22nd)
2009 - Pajaarvi (10th)
2010 - Hall (1st)
2011 - RNH (1st)
2012 - Yakupov (1st)
2013 - Nurse (7th)
2014 - Draisaitl (3rd)
2015 - McDavid (1st)
2016 - Puljiarvi (4th)
2017 - Yamamoto - (22nd)
2018 - currently tied for 4tb overall pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

In some of those drafts they didn’t even take bpa. Could had Ryan Ellis instead of MSP for one. Yakupov was a shitty pick right off the hop. Reilley was getting some love for top pick overall that year. Imagine him and Ryan Ellis on that D with Larsson, Nurse and Klefbom. Looks a lot better. They’ve fucked up goalie acquisitions and they’ve fucked up on picks outside the first round. Did they even try to move down once in any of the drafts a couple spots and acquire a sweetener ? Sure Chia has done some dumb things but Tamby and Lowe did more damage to that franchise than he has.

Always take bpa. You can trade for position later. See Nashville Predators. Traded a gifted young d man and got Kyle Turris back. Did the same thing to get Johansen.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You think Talbot is a good trade? He's getting lit up like a Christmas tree this year. Gave up a lot to get him. But seriously Blobbee, what past Oiler GM has done a worse trade than the Reinhart acquisition, Larsson aquisition and Strome acquisition? Chiarelli hands down is the worst of the bunch. Top those with the Russell and Lucic signing and giving away Schultz and Davidson and picking numbskull - Puljiarvi 4th overall and drafting Yamamoto with Timmins still on board. It's not even close. To be honest what good had Chiapet done there? I can't think of any
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I said they’ve fucked up goalie acquisitions. How does that mean me thinking trading for Talbot was a good trade? The Lucic signing is fine. Picking Poolparty he was the best player on the board according a massive consensus of scouts.I have never said anything good about any of those other moves. As I said Lowe and Tamby had that thing off the rails long before Chia got there. In reality all three men can share in the blame of where the team is at today. Similarly Eye Bags and Elmer share in the mess that is Vancouver today.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Again you are the only on gawds green earth who thinks the Lucic signing was a good one. Remove your love for Pugilists, Bubbles. Face it, the only reason you like Domi is he fought Ryan "I never win fights" Kesler
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 am 2007 - Gagner (6th)
2008 - Eberle (22nd)
2009 - Pajaarvi (10th)
2010 - Hall (1st)
2011 - RNH (1st)
2012 - Yakupov (1st)
2013 - Nurse (7th)
2014 - Draisaitl (3rd)
2015 - McDavid (1st)
2016 - Puljiarvi (4th)
2017 - Yamamoto - (22nd)
2018 - currently tied for 4tb overall pick
They kicked that rebuild off by jettisoning their team leader Ryan Smyth
Last edited by Topper on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 pm Getting this thread back on track after it was once again rudely derailed .... I still say best player available and if you don’t land 1st and get Dahlin, the next three guys right now (could change closer to the draft) are forwards. Trade for a D man if you need to or beg Tryamkin to come back but do not pass up on Svechnikov or Tkachuk or Zadina. These guys all project as top line forwards.

Unless you are getting a serious add from a team to drop back three or four spots out of that top four it’s crazy to reach for a defenceman again.
(Zadina/Svechnikov*/Tkachuk) - Horvat - Boeser, would be pretty crazy to build around.

Sedins - Eriksson the wily old vet line.

Granlund - Pettersson - big boy Virtanen 3rd line, sheltered minutes for a entire season.

Gagner - Sutter - Gaudette (have Gaud learn from the faceoff wiz for a bit) 4th line - checking line, with some scoring ability.

Vanek, Baertschi, Dowd they all out.

Goldy, Dahlen, Gadjovich and Lind in the AHL next season.

*Of note, if we get Svechnikov - and Goldy gets better, could that help sway Tryamkin & wife to come back sooner to Vancouver possibly???
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm *Of note, if we get Svechnikov - and Goldy gets better, could that help sway Tryamkin & wife to come back sooner to Vancouver possibly???
I hope the Canucks ownership/management group has already been in contact with Tryamkin and/or his agent (and/or his wife or her agent) to try to get a sense of what factors might influence a decision whether or not to return to Vancouver. There's already a fairly large Russian ex-pat community in Vancouver, so I'd be surprised if more Russian players was on the list of things he'd be looking for.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 am You think Talbot is a good trade? He's getting lit up like a Christmas tree this year. Gave up a lot to get him. But seriously Blobbee, what past Oiler GM has done a worse trade than the Reinhart acquisition, Larsson aquisition and Strome acquisition? Chiarelli hands down is the worst of the bunch. Top those with the Russell and Lucic signing and giving away Schultz and Davidson and picking numbskull - Puljiarvi 4th overall and drafting Yamamoto with Timmins still on board. It's not even close. To be honest what good had Chiapet done there? I can't think of any
Puljiarvi was ranked in the top 3 and fell to 4 when the Jackets took Dubois. It was a no brainer and seen as a huge gift to the Coilers.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am In some of those drafts they didn’t even take bpa. Could had Ryan Ellis instead of MSP for one. Yakupov was a shitty pick right off the hop. Reilley was getting some love for top pick overall that year. Imagine him and Ryan Ellis on that D with Larsson, Nurse and Klefbom. Looks a lot better. They’ve fucked up goalie acquisitions and they’ve fucked up on picks outside the first round. Did they even try to move down once in any of the drafts a couple spots and acquire a sweetener ? Sure Chia has done some dumb things but Tamby and Lowe did more damage to that franchise than he has.

Always take bpa. You can trade for position later. See Nashville Predators. Traded a gifted young d man and got Kyle Turris back. Did the same thing to get Johansen.
Easier when you are trading defenceman for forwards not as easy to do the opposite.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

black ace wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:55 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 am You think Talbot is a good trade? He's getting lit up like a Christmas tree this year. Gave up a lot to get him. But seriously Blobbee, what past Oiler GM has done a worse trade than the Reinhart acquisition, Larsson aquisition and Strome acquisition? Chiarelli hands down is the worst of the bunch. Top those with the Russell and Lucic signing and giving away Schultz and Davidson and picking numbskull - Puljiarvi 4th overall and drafting Yamamoto with Timmins still on board. It's not even close. To be honest what good had Chiapet done there? I can't think of any
Puljiarvi was ranked in the top 3 and fell to 4 when the Jackets took Dubois. It was a no brainer and seen as a huge gift to the Coilers.
Puljiarvi has 1 goal and 3 assists in 2018. The alarm bells should have gone off when The Blue Jackets Finnish GM passed on him to draft Dubios when every scout in the NHL had Puljiarvi ranked in the top 3 with Matthews and Laine. Remember the 2016 draft story line? Matthews and the two Finns. Benning was rumored to be drafting Dubios had they not moved back from 3 in the lottery

Anyhow it looks like the Finn GM was right, Dubios is starting to look very good and Pool Party isn't
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jesse Puljujarvi was unfairly compared to Laine way too much prior to the draft, everyone was like "WHO TO PICK?" Laine vs Puljujarvi.

Laine the sniper vs the big skilled winger in Puljujarvi.

Clear winner in the end, but Puljujarvi will come around imo, just a helluva lot slower than expected, he won't be a bust pick that's for sure.

Dubois is playing better than him currently, so it was shrewd choice for CBJ.

Laine had 33 pts 46games in his 2nd year at SM-liiga
Puljujarvi had 23 points 50games in his 2nd year SM-liiga
as an aside Olli Juolevi has 17 points in 33 games so far for SM-liiga, yes older though but just sayin'.

Laine the sniper, makes me think Zadina would be a wise choice if he were to land on the canucks laps at the draft, idk but you want to be in the top 5 this draft that's for sure.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I haven’t had a chance to watch as much junior hockey as I normally do - having young kids of your own takes up a lot of time! That said, still not sure who I like more between Svechnikov and Zadina, would be fine with either of them at 2 or 3. Dahlin at 1 for sure, just don’t see that happening with Canuck luck.

After that? Tkachuk would be very good as he’s a LW that’s needed, and he’s a big asshole that’s also needed.

Assuming we pick 5-8, which is likely, I’d go with Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, likely in that order. Hughes is just so dynamic he’s hard to pass on even if he is a midget. Nucks have nobody like him. Bouchard and Dobson are different - Bouchard more offensive and Dobson more all round, but they are really close. Haven’t watched Boqvist at all so can'tcomment on him.

I figure there are two strategies that the Nucks could take. One is to take a dman early and then pick the best player available the rest of the draft. Two is to pick a forward early and then go heavy on the D for the rest of the draft. Whatever they do, they need to focus on getting D into the system because the forwards look solid for the future but the D looks weak at best.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 pm I haven’t had a chance to watch as much junior hockey as I normally do - having young kids of your own takes up a lot of time! That said, still not sure who I like more between Svechnikov and Zadina, would be fine with either of them at 2 or 3. Dahlin at 1 for sure, just don’t see that happening with Canuck luck.

After that? Tkachuk would be very good as he’s a LW that’s needed, and he’s a big asshole that’s also needed.

Assuming we pick 5-8, which is likely, I’d go with Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, likely in that order. Hughes is just so dynamic he’s hard to pass on even if he is a midget. Nucks have nobody like him. Bouchard and Dobson are different - Bouchard more offensive and Dobson more all round, but they are really close. Haven’t watched Boqvist at all so can'tcomment on him.

I figure there are two strategies that the Nucks could take. One is to take a dman early and then pick the best player available the rest of the draft. Two is to pick a forward early and then go heavy on the D for the rest of the draft. Whatever they do, they need to focus on getting D into the system because the forwards look solid for the future but the D looks weak at best.
Really not sure about Hughes, he wasn't that impressive at the WJC's not too mention, he looked about 3 inches shorter, 30 pounds lighter than what he's listed at. The kind is tiny!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see ole Joe Veleno Mr Extraordinary Status is creeping up the QMJHL Scoring Leader board, not too far behind Zadina.