The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by rats19 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am

sk8er wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am
Cornuck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm
sk8er wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 pm
JEEBUS!!!!
ENOUGH ALREADY,! This shit is fucking crap!
Please talk hockey!
The warning was given today, these are from morning... Dumb shit will be deleted as it shows up. Dumb shit being defined as insults, trolling and other off-topic posts.
Thank-you, thank-you!!
Double post
You are who you hang with.....

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm
sk8er wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 pm
JEEBUS!!!!
ENOUGH ALREADY,! This shit is fucking crap!
Please talk hockey!
The warning was given today, these are from morning... Dumb shit will be deleted as it shows up. Dumb shit being defined as insults, trolling and other off-topic posts.
Thank You!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am

Looking realistically where we should be drafting (3-6 spot) puts in the range for a damn good defenseman in Adam Boqvist.

Sweden ADAM BOQVIST
Last team: Almtuna IS - 2018

BIRTHYEAR 2000-08-15 BIRTHPLACE Falun, SWE
AGE 17 NATION Sweden
POSITION D SHOOTS R
HEIGHT 180 cm / 5'11" WEIGHT 77 kg / 170 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Hedemora SK CONTRACT Junior
NHL DRAFT Top Prospect eligible for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft
RANKINGS Ranked #3 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #8 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #5 by Future Considerations
Ranked #4 by McKeen's Hockey
SOCIAL Adam Boqvist Twitter Adam Boqvist Facebook Adam Boqvist Instagram Adam Boqvist

A dynamic offensive defenceman that can carry plays with the puck on his stick. A highly mobile and nimble skater that moves with fluidity, balance, and confidence. Utilizes an active stick and creates turnovers frequently. Could be more proactive in his own end, but has shown progression in understanding lanes and reading unfolding plays; most of his best defensive work comes through the neutral zone, as there is a lot less time and space to work with, and it is in those moments that Boqvist shines. Offensively, Boqvist is electric; he has the toolbox of a top line forward. Slick puckhandling ability paired with excellent vision and positional awareness makes him a dangerous threat every time he is on the ice. He also takes advantage of the attention and bodies he draws towards himself in creating space for teammates. All-in-all, Adam Boqvist is a complete offensive defenceman that knows how to get the puck from point A to the back of the net, and can make it happen all by himself.

Gifted offensively. Excellent skater, can change gears without hesitation & loves carrying puck, ISS Hockey 2017
Credit- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=265684

With all the hype around Dahlin there appears to be a very good dman just sitting there for the picking.

Brady Tkachuk looking good if AB is gone...although nowhere near what we need like a top pairing guy
nobody forks...with the jesus

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:25 pm

What the Canucks top 10 ranking should look like

1. Dahlen - exactly what we need
2. Tkachuk - need that grit in the top 6
3. Svechnikov - we have enough scoring wingers but too good to pass up. Plus may help lure Tryamkin back sooner than later

4. Boqvist - need D. Zadina is not what we need
5. Hughes - Small but take the chance

6. Zadina
7. Bouchard
8. Dobson

9. Whalstrom
10. Smith
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:24 pm

That Evan(?) Bouchard kid should be around when the canucks pick and is a damn good player from the game i saw. Watch him be a good player in the bigs one day...tough kid, just named captain of his team, good at bothe ends. Top pairing guy possibly
nobody forks...with the jesus

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:01 am

You are who you hang with.....

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:59 am

rats19 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:01 am
https://www.tsn.ca/welcome-to-the-rasmu ... t-1.979722

First Canadian ranked at #7
Maybe it's just a phase but even if it isn't, what do you do?
Throw scads of Government money into the program?
Ouch! Can you imagine the consequences?
Every single sports organization's hand would be out, not to mention others.
Maybe one day, an elite junior league that is the cream of the crop, although I see potential problems with that too.
So, um, let's just say it's just a phase.
Ya, I know it is. ;)
"evolution"

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 am

Not a great draft for top shelf Canadians but the usual quantity throughout each round.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 am

A quick study of the standings now that my initial wildcard dreams have subsided it looks like, before the lottery balls fall, we will end up somewhere between the 5th and 8th pick. There is a big jump up in the standings from 8th to 9th pick. Now I know the Horvat/Sutter show have returned and we seem to be back winning it just may not be enough to get into that next grouping. If we stay in that 5th to 8th zone after the lottery balls have dropped, barring any Philadelphia lottery miracle, by going by Bob McKenzie's most recent prospect rankings we should be selecting from a group of 4 defenceman - Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. What the Doctor ordered. Who do you like? The two skilled shrimps - Boqvist or Hughes, or the two big Canadians? Tough call

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 am
A quick study of the standings now that my initial wildcard dreams have subsided it looks like, before the lottery balls fall, we will end up somewhere between the 5th and 8th pick. There is a big jump up in the standings from 8th to 9th pick. Now I know the Horvat/Sutter show have returned and we seem to be back winning it just may not be enough to get into that next grouping. If we stay in that 5th to 8th zone after the lottery balls have dropped, barring any Philadelphia lottery miracle, by going by Bob McKenzie's most recent prospect rankings we should be selecting from a group of 4 defenceman - Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. What the Doctor ordered. Who do you like? The two skilled shrimps - Boqvist or Hughes, or the two big Canadians? Tough call
The Canucks defense needs both skills and size.

Boqvist - 5'11" 170lbs
Hughes - 5'10" 174lbs
Bouchard - 6'2" 192lbs
Dobson - 6'3" 179lbs

Both Bouchard and Dobson are not huge. Juolevi is 6'3" 198lbs which is bigger than both of them. If Gudbranson stays for a few more years, the Canucks should go for skills. Of course, we can all hope the Canucks winning the lottery for once and draft Dahlin. :mrgreen:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:24 pm
That Evan(?) Bouchard kid should be around when the canucks pick and is a damn good player from the game i saw. Watch him be a good player in the bigs one day...tough kid, just named captain of his team, good at bothe ends. Top pairing guy possibly
:thumbs:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018/NHL-Draf ... n-Bouchard

16g, 44a, 60 points so far for the 6'2, 181lbs right handed QB youngsta, I bet the Habs would love to nab him.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am
RoyalDude wrote:

Boqvist - 5'11" 170lbs
Hughes - 5'10" 174lbs
Bouchard - 6'2" 192lbs
Dobson - 6'3" 179lbs

Both Bouchard and Dobson are not huge. Juolevi is 6'3" 198lbs which is bigger than both of them. If Gudbranson stays for a few more years, the Canucks should go for skills. Of course, we can all hope the Canucks winning the lottery for once and draft Dahlin. :mrgreen:
I'd be shocked if Hughes is actually 5'-10". He looked so freakin' puny at the WJCs. Looked
more like 5'-8". To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with Hughes, that being said, I have no opinion on the other 3 for I have yet to see any of them play with my own eyes

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:39 pm

5'10" with skates? :D

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am
RoyalDude wrote:
A quick study of the standings now that my initial wildcard dreams have subsided it looks like, before the lottery balls fall, we will end up somewhere between the 5th and 8th pick....

barring any Philadelphia lottery miracle, by going by Bob McKenzie's most recent prospect rankings we should be selecting from a group of 4 defenceman - Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. What the Doctor ordered. Who do you like? The two skilled shrimps - Boqvist or Hughes, or the two big Canadians? Tough call

Boqvist - 5'11" 170lbs
Hughes - 5'10" 174lbs
Bouchard - 6'2" 192lbs
Dobson - 6'3" 179lbs

..we can all hope the Canucks winning the lottery for once and draft Dahlin. :mrgreen:
To me it's either Boqvist or Bouchard.

Boqvist has elite scoring skills, if he's there when the canucks pick, they should take him.

Otherwise Bouchard is a nice safe pick between 6-8, at #5 you gotta take one of the forwards if available (tkachuk, zadina, svechnikov<-some have him dropping a bit, russian factor)

more on Evan Bouchard, seems like a smart guy, ready for the pros.
Right now, he’s listed among the top 20 for the upcoming draft. At 6-foot-2 and just under 200 pounds, it’s understandable why the versatile defenceman is being looked at as a possible first-round pick. So what does the 17-year-old have to do to maintain that draft stock?

“I think the major thing is staying healthy,” said Bouchard about the upcoming draft. “Feeding the body properly, doing all the things after a game – ice, the bike to just get the legs going. I think that’s really the main thing. And then just play your game, listen to the coaches and just trust what the coaches are doing.”
https://thehockeywriters.com/london-kni ... rd-leader/
Back in December he won OHL dman of the month.
A 6-foot-2, 191Ib. native of Oakville, Ont., Bouchard sits fourth in scoring among OHL defencemen with 30 points (8-22–30) in 25 games while his 95 shots on goal rank second among blueliners. A veteran of 136 OHL regular season games, Bouchard has 91 points (21-70–91) in his OHL career. He was London’s first round pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection and was an ‘A’ rated prospect on NHL Central Scouting’s November ‘Players to Watch’ List. Bouchard represented the OHL in the 2017 CIBC Canada Russia Series this past month.
http://londonknights.com/article/evan-b ... -the-month
Also named captain recently after the vets got traded - http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ ... rd-captain
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 am

[mod edit] - WTF?