The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DHA
CC Veteran

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by DHA »

If the Canucks pick OW, BT, QH, AB there will be a lot of press and excitement over their potential but If they get Dobs or Bouchard I don’t think they will it will be same hype - but maybe best way to go.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DHA wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm I think if Tkachuk is there JB will take him, they love this guy and we have nothing like him - but WTF we need d and Hughes is still on the board Plus OW, these players are so close to each other
Take Tkachuk with the 7th and a dman with the 37th...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently the Canuck brass were not impressed with Hughes after their sit down interview/meet with him at the combine. Curious as to why?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm Apparently the Canuck brass were not impressed with Hughes after their sit down interview/meet with him at the combine. Curious as to why?
Maybe he's a punk.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Because hes 5 ft 9?

Maybe they could only see the top of his head when they all sat down
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Canucks brass having flashbacks to Jordan "miniPK" Subban. Offensively skilled D who can't play a lick of it.

Stecher and Hughes... Fuck no.

I got an autograph from miniPK at a season ticket holders' event once. Dude looked 5'8"... with shoes on.

Brock was truer to his 6" height. Plus, he really did have great flow.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm Apparently the Canuck brass were not impressed with Hughes after their sit down interview/meet with him at the combine. Curious as to why?
Hughes Bros are cocky but they back it up, most stuff I’m hearing is that Hughes is a great interview - kids hockey smart.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, it could be his wee structure but my guess would be that the Nucks are, first of all in Canada, and as far away from home as he could go.
So he just gave an I don't give a shit interview.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m hoping to hear Kotkaniemi, Hughes, Wahlstrom or Bouchard’s names called before the Canucks pick. Each time one is taken another one of my targeted four will become available to Benning (Tkachuk, Boqvist, Dobson, or Zadina). If none of them are picked early and my targets are all selected, the Canucks will take one, which is okay, but not what I am hoping for.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I wonder with some of this Tanev talk heating up, they think Bouchard is gonna be their guy. Sounds like he’s ready to make the jump.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 am I wonder with some of this Tanev talk heating up, they think Bouchard is gonna be their guy. Sounds like he’s ready to make the jump.
Short term gain at expense of long-term potential in that event. I'm still unconvinced that Bouchard's skating will improve to the point he can leverage his other skills at the NHL level. He has an NHL body and can probably think it well enough to jump into the NHL next year, but I would see him as a #3-5 defender at best who gets PP time. Gudbranson with some offensive skill but none of the physicality. There are better options out there, IMO.

If they trade Tanev, it would mean they have some confidence in their FA options come 1 July vice expecting one of their 2018 picks contributing to the squad this Fall.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 am I wonder with some of this Tanev talk heating up, they think Bouchard is gonna be their guy. Sounds like he’s ready to make the jump.
Short term gain at expense of long-term potential in that event. I'm still unconvinced that Bouchard's skating will improve to the point he can leverage his other skills at the NHL level. He has an NHL body and can probably think it well enough to jump into the NHL next year, but I would see him as a #3-5 defender at best who gets PP time. Gudbranson with some offensive skill but none of the physicality. There are better options out there, IMO.

If they trade Tanev, it would mean they have some confidence in their FA options come 1 July vice expecting one of their 2018 picks contributing to the squad this Fall.
That’s probably more likely the case, a fat 2 year contract for mike green would be nice.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I have watched highlight reels and listened to people that have, "actually been", to games, ad nauseum. and firmly believe Bouchard's
skating is not an issue.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just ask Blob....when hes not day drinking and colouring his bald spot hes busy writing prospect evaluations for tsn. He says its not an issue
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

What I want to know is if there is anyway to rank the picks according to their likelihood of suffering a career ending injury?
Of all the teams, the Canucks should find some coded algorithm to measure injury potential for their analysis.
I fear for the safety of whoever they end up taking.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.