The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Yo I ain't makin the rankings, it is what it is, sign o the times.
As long as that translates into the playoffs, then the plan would work. I'm still not convinced we're there yet.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote:Yo I ain't makin the rankings, it is what it is, sign o the times. No more stage fighting goons, slashing is out, no interference when without the puck. The skilled dipsy doodlin smurfs are free to roam - Keller, Gaudreau, DeBrincat. Rock em sock em old school is done. Stick a fork in it, no more terrible skatin Ryan Clowes. I caught the world under 17's gold medal game. The best players were smurfs - Hughes, Krebs, Parent. Hughes is runaway leader to go first in 2019 - 5'-9" with that smurf Krebs going top 5. Parent is. 5'-6" barely
So you are saying the game is transforming into "Flag Hockey".
The slashing rule has been coming for a long time but you can thank Sid the KId for the abruptness of it.
If you are not hanging on to "your stick" hard enough, some one should be able to knock it away.
That is as long as the damn thing doesn't break. (think there's a joke in there).
You cannot believe polls that say the fans don't want fighting, even staged fighting, (which, by the way, has it's place).
Rock em sock em hockey will only be done if everyone, including the players, want to revert many years, to about a
ten million dollar cap per team. And oh ya, just one televised game a week.
There may be "some" smaller players achieving more these days but they have always been in the league.
I believe it is better coaching and development at the early ages that one can attribute the increase to.
I remember even in my time as a kid in hockey hearing little guys get told they were too small and maybe it would be best to try again later if they grow.
That's right. That shit really did happen. Sometimes it would even come from a volunteer Dad coach.

Part of the reason hockey is popular is because it's a contact sport. That sentence deserves a "Well Duh", eh?

If you want to argue with Mick, Dude, I'll even give you more ammo.
I would instantly dump "The Instigator" rule if I could. ;)
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Yo I ain't makin the rankings, it is what it is, sign o the times.
Just like when Benning was ranked worst GM in the league for those couple of years...before he bought in to the rebuild

If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:I caught the world under 17's gold medal game. The best players were smurfs - Hughes, Krebs, Parent. Hughes is runaway leader to go first in 2019 - 5'-9" with that smurf Krebs going top 5. Parent is. 5'-6" barely
They're 16 year olds playing against maybe 12 guys in the whole tournament over 200 lbs. Get a grip.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Yo I ain't makin the rankings, it is what it is, sign o the times. No more stage fighting goons, slashing is out, no interference when without the puck. The skilled dipsy doodlin smurfs are free to roam - Keller, Gaudreau, DeBrincat. Rock em sock em old school is done. Stick a fork in it, no more terrible skatin Ryan Clowes. I caught the world under 17's gold medal game. The best players were smurfs - Hughes, Krebs, Parent. Hughes is runaway leader to go first in 2019 - 5'-9" with that smurf Krebs going top 5. Parent is. 5'-6" barely
So you are saying the game is transforming into "Flag Hockey".
The slashing rule has been coming for a long time but you can thank Sid the KId for the abruptness of it.
If you are not hanging on to "your stick" hard enough, some one should be able to knock it away.
That is as long as the damn thing doesn't break. (think there's a joke in there).
You cannot believe polls that say the fans don't want fighting, even staged fighting, (which, by the way, has it's place).
Rock em sock em hockey will only be done if everyone, including the players, want to revert many years, to about a
ten million dollar cap per team. And oh ya, just one televised game a week.
There may be "some" smaller players achieving more these days but they have always been in the league.
I believe it is better coaching and development at the early ages that one can attribute the increase to.
I remember even in my time as a kid in hockey hearing little guys get told they were too small and maybe it would be best to try again later if they grow.
That's right. That shit really did happen. Sometimes it would even come from a volunteer Dad coach.

Part of the reason hockey is popular is because it's a contact sport. That sentence deserves a "Well Duh", eh?

If you want to argue with Mick, Dude, I'll even give you more ammo.
I would instantly dump "The Instigator" rule if I could. ;)
No country for old men. Are you struggling with becoming irrelevant? Accept the winds of change my friend. The millennials will go through it too. This is as bad as listening to the 50 year old local CFL rednecks inability to accept the fact that the teen something to 30 something demographic don't care about the CFL and prefer the whitecaps. The same applies to to the slow and prodding old school hockey. The video game crowd has a need for speed and skill, thousand miles an hour. Fuck off the instigator rule, Don Mickey Cherry. Lemme guess did you walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow with homemade sheepskin boots on? The NFL is about to completely over haul how the game is seen on tv in trying to attract the young video game generation by making it resemble a video game with sky cams etcetera.

Listen old man, the next gen don't give a shit about 4th line behemoths fighting in the NHL. Speed and skill is where it's going, grandpa. Accept the fact that you are going to see more and more Jack Hughes and Cale Makars going top 5 on a regular basis
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I caught the world under 17's gold medal game. The best players were smurfs - Hughes, Krebs, Parent. Hughes is runaway leader to go first in 2019 - 5'-9" with that smurf Krebs going top 5. Parent is. 5'-6" barely
They're 16 year olds playing against maybe 12 guys in the whole tournament over 200 lbs. Get a grip.
Shrimps - Hughes and Prebs are projected top 5 picks in 2019 to go along with a bunch of other shrimps like Turcotte, Suzuki and Parent

Would you consider - Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersen, Hischier big? All top 5 picks in 2017

Nuckles isn't drafting Jack Hughes 1st overall in 2019 and Quinton Hughes, Boqvist top 5 in 2018

Me? I'm slowly coming around to the shrimps taking over. I wasn't too hip to drafting Pettersen but seeing how well rookie shrimps like Point, Keller and DeBrincat are doing, Chef Boi RD is coming around
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Shrimps - Hughes and Prebs are projected top 5 picks in 2019 to go along with a bunch of other shrimps like Turcotte, Suzuki and Parent

Would you consider - Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersen, Hischier big? All top 5 picks in 2017
Heiskanen, Pettersson and Hischier are all 6'0 +. We're not talking 5'9 players here.

Hughes is listed at 5'10. Krebs is 5'11. Do you think they've stopped growing?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Shrimps - Hughes and Prebs are projected top 5 picks in 2019 to go along with a bunch of other shrimps like Turcotte, Suzuki and Parent

Heiskanen, Pettersson and Hischier are all 6'0 +. We're not talking 5'9 players here.

Hughes is listed at 5'10. Krebs is 5'11. Do you think they've stopped growing?
Yup, Heiskanen, Hischier and Pettersen are gargantuan

I fully expect Krebs and Hughes to gain 2-3" in height and 30 lbs in weight by the 2019 draft. Especially when you consider Jacks brother Quinton a 2018 top draft prospect is currently 5'-9" and rated to go top 5
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dude; When have I ever said an enforcer has to be a 4th line gorilla that no can skate.
For that matter, there's nothing wrong with 4 of them scattered thru the line-up.
For heaven's sake, one of them may be the goalie.
The last few drafts have been bountiful along with a marked improvement in the acquisition of players available thru
other means, however: If you think the game is becoming shall we say tamer or less tough, you try merrily skating around out there with your head down.
You know what it feels like to hit yourself in the head with a 2x4, right?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft ... =277764372
via by Mike G. Morreale - Update on potential 1st rounders.

"Right wing Serron Noel of Oshawa in the Ontario Hockey League is one of seven players who have been upgraded to A-rated players on NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch list for November.

The revised list serves as an update to the preliminary players to watch that was released Oct. 3 and which was based on last season's reports. Players with an A rating are considered potential first-round candidates for the 2018 NHL Draft, which will be held at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23.

"At this point, our scouts have had a chance to view all the players in their respective areas and we have updated the players to watch based on our current grading," said Dan Marr, the director of NHL Central Scouting.

Noel (6-foot-5, 200 pounds), who earned a B rating on the preliminary list, has 14 points (10 goals, four assists) and 18 penalty minutes in 16 games. He had 21 points (eight goals, 13 assists) and 52 penalty minutes in 63 games as a rookie in the OHL last season.

Alexander Alexeyev, D, Red Deer (WHL): Alexeyev (6-3, 200), born in St. Petersburg, Russia, has 11 points (one goal, 10 assists) and 24 shots on goal in 12 games.

Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL): Dobson (6-3, 180), a right-handed defenseman, has 18 points (one goal, 17 assists) in 22 games.

Sampo Ranta, RW, Sioux City (USHL): Ranta (6-1, 192), a native of Naantali, Finland, has eight points (five goals, three assists) in 11 games. He's considered a good skater with a big shot.

Rasmus Sandin, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): The left-handed shot (5-11, 183) from Uppsala, Sweden, has six points (one goal, five assists), 12 shots on goal and a plus-8 rating in seven games.

Bode Wilde, D, USA U-18 (USHL): The right-hand shot (6-2, 195) has 13 points (three goals, 10 assists) and a plus-12 rating in 17 games for USA Hockey's National Team Development Program under-18 team.

Jett Woo, D, Moose Jaw (WHL):The right-handed shot (6-0, 205) has 17 points (six goals, 11 assists) in 18 games."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

2018 NHL Draft: Consolidated Industry Rankings for December 2017

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/12/13/2018 ... um=twitter

If season ended right now we'd have a outside shot at moving up, or stay around 11th overall - where I'd take Wilde.
https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/bode-wilde/

Big dude, but can skate and has skills.

All things considered, if the injuries continue to pile up it could be a blessing as we can sell off some vets for picks, and if the Sedins retire, Edler might decide to move on for a much needed career location change which he then would be dealt at the draft for mid-late 1st pick. Gather up more picks to shore up the prospects further I say.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I like that Dobson kid, he's been a rapid climber on all the scouts lists. Think he will be in our range, sorry, I don't believe we are finishing top 5 in the lottery. Also like Woo, but is a bit of a Dumba
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:I like that Dobson kid, he's been a rapid climber on all the scouts lists. Think he will be in our range, sorry, I don't believe we are finishing top 5 in the lottery. Also like Woo, but is a bit of a Dumba
Tell us more Dude!

SO dead around here since Teamsters found out about Blobby's politics

... and JimmyHoffa-ed him. :(

Speaking of "dead", Micky says the dreaded "Canuckluck" is dead.

Doesn't that mean we will win the draft lottery?

Or does it mean we'll make the playoffs?

Mick?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I like that Dobson kid, he's been a rapid climber on all the scouts lists. Think he will be in our range, sorry, I don't believe we are finishing top 5 in the lottery. Also like Woo, but is a bit of a Dumba
Tell us more Dude!

SO dead around here since Teamsters found out about Blobby's politics

... and JimmyHoffa-ed him. :(

Speaking of "dead", Micky says the dreaded "Canuckluck" is dead.

Doesn't that mean we will win the draft lottery?

Or does it mean we'll make the playoffs?

Mick?
Everyone and their uncle, fans, media, sports gurus, pretty much the entire hockey world automatically assumed
Brock's foot mishap would be another long term, unlucky set back for the already decimated with injury Canucks.
But wait! The almighty, electromagnetic spirits from the sky looked down and said "ENOUGH".
And so it was. No more will this team suffer needlessly.

Actually, I just kept looking at the replay and it said to me the puck only had a short distance to accelerate.
Couldn't be all that bad.

Point is, it's different than was expected and that's something new in itself so why not take it and run with it.
You are quite right about Horvat and Sutter. Face off percentage has been running around 46/54 against.
Team speed is down as well as team defense.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Wow! there is something wrong. That post didn't take right away. Said there was an error.
But then it came up?
"evolution"